McLaren P1

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I love it in black, but I think it's going to date very quickly aesthetically.

Le Ferrari is the best looking of the modern hyper-cars, I am waiting for some reviews of it before deciding which to order! :p

Here's Raikkonen spinning one!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Giving this thread a bump up again now that the reviews of the McLaren P1 are all coming in.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk on here of it given the amazing reception it's getting. People who are no strangers to fast cars (Chris Harris, Richard Meaden, Jeremy Clarkson, etc) are getting out of the car and repeating themselves over and over, having to re-record camera segments because they can't concentrate on their spiel whilst driving it, and are generally saying the car does things they didn't think possible. Cornering. Accelerating. Being able to be driven in a docile manner one second, whilst out-pacing a Veyron the next. And then being controllable despite the massive power going to the rear wheels.

And then there's the stats. Just for comparison's sake, the McLaren F1 took 28 secs to hit 200mph..................... The P1 does it in 20 secs.

Game changer? A new standard for all hypercars/supercars to strive for?

Personally I love the look of the thing too, though some still think it's fugly. It's design came about purely because of wind testing and determining what was needed for it to generate the incredible G forces it does, so it's essentially a master class in function over form - but still looks epic. I'll have it in Genesis Blue please :laughing:

1395821_350773038393216_2086531958_n.jpg

1394448_350773185059868_1591426953_n.jpg

A work of art ... seriously stunning with staggering performance!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I love it in black, but I think it's going to date very quickly aesthetically.

Le Ferrari is the best looking of the modern hyper-cars, I am waiting for some reviews of it before deciding which to order! :p

Here's Raikkonen spinning one!

I like the look of it but part of me also thinks .................................. wow, another generic Ferrari shape in red.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
Saw one in Peurto Banus when I was stayin in Marbella last month. I heard it before I saw it an thought it was a superbike that had started up. Have a wee video of it driving past me though he didnt gun it the pussay

Sonny

RMS Photographer
How many times have you heard 'F1-inspired' disingenuously used to describe some new feature on a car? Probably too many. When McLaren uses it, however, you sense the approach is rather more genuine.

Look at the steering wheel for the P1 GTR. Its design is based on the MP4-23 Lewis Hamilton won the 2008 F1 championship and does appear almost directly lifted from motorsport. It includes Drag Reduction System and Instant Power Assist System buttons as in the standard P1 but also a pit lane speed limiter, a full beam flash and a neutral button. The handling and powertrain toggle switches have migrated from the dash too, allowing the set-up to be configured without the driver having to remove their hands from the wheel. Because race car, or something like that.

The carbon buckets will be tailored to each buyer, mounted directly to the chassis to save further weight. The GTR is focused enough to be HANS ready but the air-con stays. Phew.
The pics seen here are from hot weather testing in Bahrain with development focused on the upgraded IPAS, handling on slicks and the aero with that ruddy great fixed wing. In Carbon Black with bare carbon bodywork the P1 GTR looks absolutely evil. Fabulously evil.

In addition to the car, McLaren has released further information on the P1 GTR 'Driver Programme'. Each owner will enjoy access to the McLaren Technology Centre and 'gain a unique insight into the steps McLaren drivers take after signing for the team'. A driver programme to 'hone and optimise skills' will be devised also, every GTR owner given a dedicated race team including head engineer and driver coach at each event. Very serious. There will be 10-12 P1 GTR races next year across the world's F1 circuits with drivers choosing six to take part in. The P1 GTR Director Paul Mackenzie said: "It is a programme that has been developed over the years for our Formula 1 and young drivers. It's not just about fitness, but also about mental preparation, and looks at the full wellbeing of the driver."

Conveniently enough, McLaren has also made a video further explaining the driver programme. There's a few seconds of GTR footage as well, just in case you needed further incentive to watch.

McLaren_P1GTR_08.jpg

McLaren_P1GTR_01-L.jpg

McLaren_P1GTR_04-L.jpg

McLaren_P1GTR_05-L.jpg

McLaren_P1GTR_06-L.jpg

McLaren_P1GTR_07-L.jpg

McLaren_P1GTR_09-L.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.