Me motor is drinkin petrol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

swervygerdy

RMS Regular
Im planning to tour around Australia in this car - its called a Holden Commodore(bit like a vaux carlton) about 20 years old, a flat 6 , 3.3 litre. The problem is its only doin about 3 miles per litre of petrol.Now i knew she was gonna be sore on juice but i didnt realise it was gonna be this bad!!

Firstly is there definatley somethin wrong or am I just not used to drivin such a big ass car??

Theres no rear silencer on her - just a straight through pipe - homemade effort by the looks of it - sounds the buisness though.Would this effect fuel consumption? If so I can get one of these for reasonable money.

It runs on a single carb and i know back home my old man plays with these to get the emissions right for the MOT.Is it worth trying to tamper with the jets myself to reduce the amount of petrol goin in or will it need properly set up??

Im on a shoe-string budget out here and im trying to stay outta the local mechanics cos they've got big windows, espicially when they realise your a tourist!!!

Apologies for the life story and thanks 4 any help!

Designated Driver

RMS Regular
if you can find the mixture screw then play with it to see if you can get it to run leaner. CO2 meter is useful for this but have a try at it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.