Meguiars

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Bought some Meguiars Deep Crystal stuff today. I got the Paint Cleaner, Polish and Carnauba Wax. What's the best way of going about doing this for ultimate shine and longevity?

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
id also like to know this, i always used Auto Glym, but have been told theres better out there, how much is a kit like this?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
paint cleaners the most abrasive of them so use it first to get rid of the dead paint then use the polish then the wax, i'd usually then only wax it for a few weeks after a wash before givin polish/paint cleaner, its not bad stuff, is it the carnuba or the tech wax stuff? i always preferred the finish of the carnuba

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
m00k said:
paint cleaners the most abrasive of them so use it first to get rid of the dead paint then use the polish then the wax, i'd usually then only wax it for a few weeks after a wash before givin polish/paint cleaner, its not bad stuff, is it the carnuba or the tech wax stuff? i always preferred the finish of the carnuba

how is it on a gold car tho Mark? does it give a good shine? :p

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
www.detailingworld.com i think is the site that a few of the folks on here use, i think theres some fairly good tips and how to's on there.

Also read a few wee things on the Meguires site.

Failing that... speak to our in house detailing demigod Lenny26!

wingnut

OP
wingnut
Drives
S2 Coupe
m00k said:

It's that Carnauba stuff. I'd heard good reports about the meguaires stuff and was driving past Halfords today so I thought I should maybe buy an armful of shining stuff

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
can't say i ever used it on a gold car, but on a 12 yr old astra using auto glym polish an gd few coats of carnuba,

1-picture1.jpg

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
m00k said:
can't say i ever used it on a gold car, but on a 12 yr old astra using auto glym polish an gd few coats of carnuba,

1-picture1.jpg

gol doesnt really show a shine, just depends all in the way u look at it i suppose

wingnut

OP
wingnut
Drives
S2 Coupe
I see alll these detail boys going on about "4 coats of this, 3 coats of that" I presume the more coats, the shinier?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
jus depends, everyone has their own way of doin it for gettin gd results,

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
m00k said:
jus depends, everyone has their own way of doin it for gettin gd results,

hahaha for me its a wash if its lucky!! needsa valet if someone round the ballymoney area wants to do it!!:p

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
all i use is auto glym bodywork shampoo when washng then use meguairs gold class polish.....seem to do the job well on the coupe

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
As said earlier, i would start with a good wash then the clay bar, to remove any tar, dead bugs, bird crap etc, then a quick wash again perhaps to remove all the gunk picked up by the bar. then the cleaner to work at any scrapes and bits of dead paint. then the polish will work to remove any remaining swirl marks and light scratches. Now that you have smooth blemish free paint, the wax seals it all in, but be sure to only do a panel at a time with the wax, ie put wax on, leave for 30sec then lightly buff to a shine to ensure a better finish

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
r16vka said:
be sure to only do a panel at a time with the wax, ie put wax on, leave for 30sec then lightly buff to a shine to ensure a better finish

Maybe a daft question,buts whats wrong with leaving it on for longer?

When i polish my car, i usually start on the roof, work my way down and round while applying the polish.. then after a while, id go back and remove it, which would be about 15mins of sitting...

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
depends on the wax, some need taken off quickly, others can be left for longer.

Marc

RMS Moderator
slow_assed_clio said:
Maybe a daft question,buts whats wrong with leaving it on for longer?

When i polish my car, i usually start on the roof, work my way down and round while applying the polish.. then after a while, id go back and remove it, which would be about 15mins of sitting...

he's talking about wax.. not polish :grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Well i havent waxedit yet, so i was just trying to find out..

Will be getting some for it this weekend.. well overdue for a scrub.. lol

Marc

RMS Moderator
wax should only be applied after the car is super clean and had a good polish to remove the swirls.. you can then use a sealant and then wax :grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
a sealant, then wax?

i thought wax was a sealant...? what would ya recommend?

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
silly question but what is a clay bar? where do you get them? if its for removin tar spots is it better that the turtle wax tar remover (which i find useless)?

Ruth

RMS Regular
yes halfords sell megs quik clay bar, u get a bottle of quick detailer with it ina box. Alternatively try www.polishedbliss.com and get yourself some poorboys or optimum clay bar on its on, and just use soapy water as a lube instead of detailer!

wingnut

OP
wingnut
Drives
S2 Coupe
I done a bit of the quarter panel yesterday evening. Done the paint cleaner stuff, then polish, about 3 coats I think, then 3 coats of the wax. It done absolutely nothing. Not sure if I'm applying it right or unless the car's as good as it can be atm as it's pretty shiney as it is..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.