Metro Number Plates Belfast?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
GKZ would be mini-metro...but then different people call all the fonts by different names, and can ask for different sizes even within any fonts.

So really it could be anything depending on who you ask.

And no, only bog standard letter size and fonts are legal. And technically it is illegal for the suppliers to sell anything that isnt legal.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
but i guess its really jut MOT that you'd need to change to std ? i.e. police are not interested in doing anything ?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
but i guess its really jut MOT that you'd need to change to std ? i.e. police are not interested in doing anything ?

They can and do.

Though personally I always imagine the sillier the font, the more likely you are to get stopped. Touch wood I've never been stopped and I've always had slightly smaller fonts. Though my current ones are the smallest yet.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Some cops love doing people for it.

All their wonderful automated fine systems and vehicle tracking and surveillance rely on ANPR, and they will claim ANPR can only read standard fonts.

It can read other fonts, but obviously standard fonts will be easiest, although it still doesnt always get them right.

So likewise, MOT can be hit or miss too. Again depends on font and how clear it actually is. Some will just ignore it, others wont.

RevT

RMS Regular
Message me if you require any ordered.

GKZ is actually Microgramma font, not metro.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
To be fair, the ANPR camera at the airport carpark cant read my plate.

Even the police ANPR dont always get the plates right.

I've seen them in operation when they were first installed and watched them for a while. You could see on camera the vehicle, plate and what it believed the plate to be. I'd say they only got about 70-80% of them right as the cars were driving by. And that was in a 30mph zone
The majority would be standard plates. Some other fonts it got right, some it didnt.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Did the standard font change in the last few years?
I have cherished reg that I transfer when I change car. I can usually swap over the actual plates but last time I had to replace rear one as it was scabby. Noticed that it has narrower letters than the old one. (Like the bottom plate HIG in the pic above. Older plate is more like the K70 one. )
Both were bog standard (I thought) with the makers postcode and so on, but now front font is wider than the rear. Not really bothered, just curious.

RevT

RMS Regular
It just depends on the software really, can be slight differences but there is specific sizing for a standard legal plate. It's online somewhere if you want to search for it.

armaghlad

RMS Regular
Drives
A4
I know this topic is done to death and apologies for bringing up an oldish thread but what are people's experiences with "metro" plates?

I see plenty of motors with them on so they must surely not be that much of a priority to the policia?

c11ris

RMS Regular
Drives
MK5GTI/MK2GTI
I have found over the years that as long as the font is legible and no letters/numbers are moved then they are ok about them.

markmeus

RMS Regular
MOT is hit or miss as well, I've got through recently with metros, literally forgot all about them and he never mentioned it.

If it fails on something else, they'll always mark the plates on the failure sheet just to cover their backs come the retest.

armaghlad

RMS Regular
Drives
A4
I have mine on now anyway, completely raging though I shattered the original front plate because of a corroded screw! So they'll be staying on lol

NotKG

Banned
some now are literally printed onto the background, and are nasty cheap rubbish. its printer ink, and after a few months just fades with light on it.
just another "quick money spinner" for the shops.
used to get old stick on cut letters and pressed and trimmed, and they were £3.50 each,
now its wacked through a printer and are £7/£8 ish, , even some as high as £15 for show plates.
=
the angled table , roller press and box of digits worked, even when there was no power,,
jezus now no one can work without a pc, and a fancy printer worth thousands and fancy costly software.

how did we survive the 80's ?? 0MG!

;-) ;-) ;-)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.