MKVI Golf GTI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

JC3

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Back in May I went through the usual itch of wanting to change my car. At the time I had a 2003 Toyota Celica T-Sport and a 2004 Suzuki SV650 S. A few years ago I had this MKIV GTTDI, which I always had a slight regret selling...

1.%20GTTDI%20JC3_zps7khufzb7.jpg

So with this in mind I planned on keeping the bike and get a MKV GTI. I went hunting and found a few good examples, but then I spotted a nice MKVI which I ended up test driving and it ultimately made me sell the bike. Although the cars are very similar, the updated interior and newer model just had more appeal. Bought the car from Edwin May, Coleraine with 1 year VW warranty for peace of mind.

2009 VW Golf GTI
Tornado Red, 3 door, manual, 52k miles, 1 previous owner, xenons, auto-lights, auto-wipers, heated tartan seats, 18" Monza Shadow alloys, sunroof, RCD510, Dynaudio, reverse camera, dual climate control etc.

2.%20May%20JC3%201_zps6hvc4jlx.jpg
2.%20May%20JC3%202_zps4evsssjz.jpg
2.%20May%20JC3%203_zpskk0as12i.jpg

Last edited:

JC3

RMS Regular
OP
JC3
Drives
VW Golf GTI
As I was up the coast when I bought it I got to take it a good run down the Coast Road, great car to drive. Then it was home to give it a quick clean myself.

3.%20June%20JC3%201_zps8zcbvf5a.jpg
3.%20June%20JC3%202_zpssjeq5xfz.jpg

Whilst doing so the ruler of the house, aka Dexter, managed to sneak in but seemed to give his approval.

3.%20June%20JC3%203_zps5smt28ar.jpg

Last edited:

Glen

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa GTV 2.0 TS
As I was up the coast when I bought it I got to take it a good run down the Coast Road, great car to drive. Then it was home to give it a quick clean myself.

Whilst doing so the ruler of the house, aka Dexter, managed to sneak in but seemed to give his approval.

Dexter is SO cute!!!....quite clear to see who is the boss and ruler of all

Glen

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

PS...LOVE your car!!

JC3

RMS Regular
OP
JC3
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Since May I have made a few (very) small changes to help freshen the car up a bit. First up was a pair of pressed plates and I ordered a pair of GTI seat handle inserts.

4.%20July%201_zpszk5vzyxc.jpg

On my center console I have the cubby box with a lid. At first I thought the cigarette lighter and removable ashtray were missing, but after searching for part numbers it looks as though you needed the smokers pack to get these. The ashtray was ordered from VW (part no: 1K08573359B9) but they were looking £24 for the cigarette lighter, so eBay it was (for one from a Freelander).

4.%20July%202_zpsvbukdr9t.jpg

The center caps were suffering quite badly from the common 'white worm'. I tried with no luck to blag these from the dealer/warranty, was disappointed they weren't changed in the first place as they put two new tyres, brake pads and a service before I picked it up. To play it safe I ordered through VW again (part no: 3B7601171XRW).

A lot of the forums were saying to remove them without damaging the alloys you had to take the wheels off and push them through from the back. I simply drilled a small hole in each center cap (seeing as they were for the bin), inserted a small screw and then pulled them out with a pair of pliers. The new ones simply click into place.

4.%20July%203_zpsk8q9rixr.jpg
4.%20July%204_zpsgehahoa4.jpg
4.%20July%205_zpsbxmgeepg.jpg

Last edited:

richiemucker

RMS Regular
Drives
E220
Great work. Its little touches like this that makes all the difference. Must remember that trick to remove old center caps in the future.

JC3

RMS Regular
OP
JC3
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Very nice. Good spec too.

Any plans?

Nothing major planned so may be a boring read for some members. LED tail lights, cruise control, bluetooth and getting the mirrors and splitter wrapped/painted gloss black like ED35s. The splitter needs touched up anyway.

4.%20July%206_zpsnppgufal.jpg

Would also like an RNS510 DAB, remap, and possibly an intake...but we have a baby on the way so maybe in 18 years time?

Last edited:

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Lovely looking. Get the revised tensioner fitted. As of two weeks ago VW aren't paying goodwill gesture.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Excellent idea with the centre caps - need to do this myself on my Scirocco as I have white worm everywhere!

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
Lovely motor, can't beat red as well when it's properly shined up.

Love the steering wheel, @Lyons put in mind for one in the piss-shat.

Really becoming a DUBboy now, it must be a disease :laughing:

JC3

RMS Regular
OP
JC3
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Lovely looking. Get the revised tensioner fitted. As of two weeks ago VW aren't paying goodwill gesture.

Funny you say that. A month or two ago I was looking through the service book and spotted this:

4.%20July%208_zpsmqjkylln.jpg

Wasn't mentioned to me at point of sale, so got me concerned but managed to get talking to the only previous owner. In 2012 it had 'Inexplicable engine failure' which VW sent back to Germany and eventually put it down to the timing chain. The whole engine was replaced under warranty (which I think had ran out). Agnews reckon as it was replaced with a 2012 engine, it should have the revised tensioner. Is there any easy way I can check this for definite? Suppose the positive is that the current engine only has 22k miles, and also found out the Xenons were replaced last year too.

Previous owner is 76 years old. He has had 15 GTIs in the last 25 years. And the reason he sold this? ...to get a MK7 R.

JC3

RMS Regular
OP
JC3
Drives
VW Golf GTI
On the subject of the engine, a while back I noticed a whistling/rattling noise when the car was boosting. It progressively got worse to the point it was embarrassing to drive, so I booked it into VW to get checked. Turns out there is a common issue where a clip/clamp into the turbo breaks. Apparently this would cost, and I quote, less than a pound to fix...if they sold the part. So instead a new turbo was required, luckily under warranty. Some graphical images below of when I went to collect the car and the work was meant to be finished.

4.%20July%2010_zpsf7vmspfn.jpg
4.%20July%209_zpsvetjfyur.jpg
4.%20July%2011_zpsuxoognna.jpg

Annoyingly this hasn't completely got rid of the whistling noise under boost, it almost sounds like air is escaping from somewhere. Anyone have any ideas before I bring it back to VW when I get a chance?

Last edited:

JC3

RMS Regular
OP
JC3
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The obligatory MOT shot.

5.%20August%20JC3%201_zpstzpf9vld.jpg

I wanted Bluetooth in the car, mainly for streaming music, so thought I'd try a ViseeO Tune2Air. It works surprisingly well, can still access my iTunes folders through the touch display and change songs etc through the steering controls.

5.%20August%20JC3%202_zpsxjnyitrn.jpg
5.%20August%20JC3%203_zpss6yeud5h.jpg
5.%20August%20JC3%204_zpsqzcnfix6.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.