Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Just do test, 125's are piss.

If you are lucky you be through all three tests and have a bike bought for end of summer.

My first bike was a zx636 2006 passed in june 09 @ 25 and it was circa £800 (I cant remember exactly) and I had points and driving history too.

Im so glad I did not waste my time and effort on a 125, as I thought it would be fun, but when you go out with other bike you soon realise that on a 125 the 600 would be at 100mph before you hit second on a 125.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Even the likes of a wee cheap 2000ish CBR 600 would be roughly 125 money

NATMAN

RMS Regular
Drives
passat tdi130 /6
Stay clear of all 2 strokes as they are a bottomless money box, i bought an aprilia rs125 after passing my test 3years ago and it seized on me at 70+ on the frosses road area, wasnt a nice scenario at all thank god i got the clutch in on time with a merc slk behind me. I had to end up getting a 2nd hand engine for it as it had wrecked con rod and piston and casings etc. If i was you i would do the test first and then maybe buy a decent 400. I bought a vfr400 after i got rid of my aprilia and it was a good wee bike to learn skills on etc. I now have a 600 bandit and have to say i wont be changing from oil cooled suzukis ever.

Bigadamski

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I was a courier on a 125 in london for a few years and tbh it was all the bike you'd need for the streets of london! Whereas over here the roads are bigger and you would soon get bored! Btw, how much is it to get the licence? Would love to get it!

Jackotdi

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
cost me...

5 hour lessons £100
Theory test £30
Off road test £30
On road test £59
2X rental of bike on day of test £50 each

£319 all in but i have always had off road bikes so that helped as i didnt need shown how to ride a bike.

if you wait till after next Feb you will have to do a CBT which is another £200 alone then all of the above to do after it...

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Id def say just do your full test,i was at first going to settle with a RS125 then decided to do the full test,started lessons 6 weeks ago and passed last week and now have an 08 kawasaki Z750,couldnt deal with a 125 now lol Insurance is only £320 TPFT,me being 24 and 3 years no claims on the car.

ok im starting to think that a bigger 4stroke might be the answer now lol

So does your car ncb help when you come to insuring a bike?

Im 26 now, no points, 7years NCB... I would have really fancied something to ride in the mean time tho.. and i need somewhere to transfer my plate to when i sell the S2k, maybe i should just put it on the westie!

Food for thought here guys...

So if i was to go 600, what would be my best options?

CBR600?

Could i insure the likes of a ZX6R/ ninja/ R6?

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Easily

I got insured last year at 20 on a zx6r for under 800.

Now im 21 with ncb its sunk under 500 going by quotes.. (y)

Car NCB depends on the company.. typically no.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Good man, what kind of money would it take to lift a ZX6? i do like the look of them..

yours and bens look the part.

Ive always had a soft spot for a VFR400, and they seem to hold there money well too.. could be a safe buy for a year?

It would get me used to driving a sports bike, last bike i was on was an RM125 about 5years ago wrecking in the field!

My aul doll is going to have a canary when i land home with a bike!!

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
About 2.5 / 3k for a B1H/B2H (03/04) like mine or 3.5/4k for a C1H/C6F (05/06) like Bens.

The best one to buy is prob the C1H/C6F as its a bit softer for the road, prettier and has a few better bits on it. All depends on the money in your pocket .. I love mine to bits but its had a few changes along the way..!

Newer ones went back to 599cc than 636cc and theyre only now really catching up on the same pace and mid range pull.. ! Best 600 road engine imo :grinning:

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
lol Thank Christ you're thinking of a sports bike! A 125 would have bored the tits off you.

When you get the test go and get a ride on some sports bikes and that should help your choice.. personally I found the CBR600RR to be the best for me, but everybody is different.

My ma told me I'd be sleeping on the street if I came home with a bike. I softened the blow by bringing home different bits of bike gear throughout the weeks preceeding buying the bike lol

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Stay clear of all 2 strokes as they are a bottomless money box, i bought an aprilia rs125 after passing my test 3years ago and it seized on me at 70+ on the frosses road area, wasnt a nice scenario at all thank god i got the clutch in on time with a merc slk behind me. I had to end up getting a 2nd hand engine for it as it had wrecked con rod and piston and casings etc. If i was you i would do the test first and then maybe buy a decent 400. I bought a vfr400 after i got rid of my aprilia and it was a good wee bike to learn skills on etc. I now have a 600 bandit and have to say i wont be changing from oil cooled suzukis ever.

Stay clear of all 125's you mean.

Real 2-strokes such as the RD350 and the RG500 are a different kettle of fish. I've a couple of RD350 YPVS's and an RG500 (The brother has an RD500 V4) that are MUCH more fun to ride than modern 4 strokes.

Some day we will get the RD engine rehomed into the RZV500R frame where it belongs.

I'd love a go on a KR750 - close to 200mph on a back tyre the width of the spine of the yellow pages.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
if you wait till after next Feb you will have to do a CBT which is another £200 alone then all of the above to do after it...

This is exactly why im doing the bike test now too,
Passed the theory there no problem,

Looking to buy a cheap bike (125 - 400) to practise for the off road test then do the on road test on an instructors bike,

Who did you all learn with? At the minute i have no bike equipment so would need an instructor who can supply the leathers,
Was looking at swift transport training, any reports from these guys?

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Gene at debut drive.

If you can get to ards easily enough then hes the best guy to go with in north down :grinning:

J8MCG

RMS Regular
I've taken 3 lessons so far from last month. Have my theory test booked for this month, I hope to have it all passed by the end of july.
I'm in the same boat as you B- Lorenzo, things wouldn't go down well with parents & wife if I landed home with an R6 etc lol.. I'm looking at buying something along the lines of a supermoto, what do you guys think of this ?
vehicle_18400168_177826.jpg

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
Had the lend of that wee bike while mine was in for a service, it was laugh out loud fun. Great for blasts round the back roads but I couldn't imagine myself using it everyday as I do with the Triumph.

J8MCG

RMS Regular
Thats what i'm after really, something half sensible and fun. Be some difference in performance to yours.
What do you think about the Street triple?

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
Haven't rode a Street Triple yet (mine's a Speed Triple) but have heard nothing but good things about them.

PhilG

RMS Regular
maybe consider an Kawasaki er6n? 2006-2007 can be got at £2500. Im pretty sure i got a dirty cheap quote on one a few months ago, like £150. It was a similar quote to what i had for a hornet 600cc, while an r6 or cbr600 was going to cost me £450-500

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
My mum being a recovery nurse has seen and dealt with it all.

I got told the same thing as above about sleeping on the streets...

Got a 125 for a year and then moved up to the 636. Dont argue with them but do challenge what their thoughts are.

Youll probably get stuff like "Its not you - its other drivers".. you just gotta work through it.

Peter

RMS Regular
Definitely don't be wasting your money buying a 125, I did my test last year in about 3 months and just used the instructors bike.

Straight on to a Hornet 600 and haven't looked back. Could be doing with the restrictor out as it's even a bit slow now.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
buying a 125 isnt a waste of money, if you buy a cheap CG or something youll always get your money back on it and youll have it there to use while you need it.

i wouldnt buy a RS 125 unless you love rebuilding engines lol get a 4 stroke then you can get used to having some engine braking too

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Well, starting the lessons again on tuesday, this will be my 3rd lesson, but i havent had one in 2years so im starting from scratch again, theory test is booked for next week.. trying to aim for having the test in 6weeks if i can manage it!

Kawasaki zx636 is looking like the weapon for me too (y) thanks for the help guys :grinning: