Motorbike test options ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Been searching all over but still slightly confused about the new laws ,
Basically i am 23 now (24 in december) and am looking to get my bike test asap , Theory is booked for next month but wanting to know the exact score reguarding what options i have to ride after i pass etc?

once i pass can i get a 600c straight away if its restricted?
Direct acess says online for 24 for larger bikes though which is confusing me.

Would i be better getting my theory and CBT then waiting till 24 if thats the case and doing my direct acess then??

thanks Jonathan

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
Waiting until you are 24 would be the easiest thing to do. Even if you do the test this year on a 400 (A2) you will still have to do the 600cc :innocent: test when you are 24.

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
Just wait untill your 24 mate. Unless your willing to spend the doller.
My Theory was £30, CBT on the 600cc was £140, Off road test was £30, one lesson before was £30, Rental of the bike was £70 for the day of the test, I have 3 lesson's before my on road test at £90, The test was £50 and £70 for rental of the bike and Hopefully that's me finished.

It will be worth it at the end of the day:grinning:

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Wow looks like doing your test now is a nightmare lol, did my test years ago, no cbt, no offroad & no different cc tests.

Theory
4 lessons
Test on a 125cc

Done and dusted.

I then stepped away from the bikes for 2 years then bought a cbr600rr when the restriction period past.

Going by regulations now you are better waiting till you are 24, save your pennies till then, cover all the costs and a nice bike deposit.

Good luck till ya sir

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
update to this guys , a friend in work said he done his CBT there last week , hes only 20 and done it on a 650cc bike there and is saying once he passes his test he can ride a 600cc bike now just restricted? any truth in this? . Would be an option for me aswell then if it was true to save waiting till am 24 to ride a 600 cc bike , thanks

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
You can do the test on a bike either 400cc or with a power output of 47bhp and after the test you can ride a bike restricted to 45bhp but as far a I know the original power of the bike must not exceed 93bhp.

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
yea just checked the list of bikes you can ride there after you pass , Still better of waiting till am 24 I think . If I read correctly aswell then you aren't restricted at all once you pass your direct acess at 24 years old? unlike the 2 years before after you passed your test?

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
im planning on doing my tests over the summer.. im 24 in augest.. am I correct in thinking I can do my theory and cbt now then when I turn 24 do the 600cc test?

:confounded: confused is an understatement

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
im planning on doing my tests over the summer.. im 24 in augest.. am I correct in thinking I can do my theory and cbt now then when I turn 24 do the 600cc test?

I was confused about how i had to go about it last year and what exactly was needed, so could only imagine the confusion now.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR

I'm pretty sure you are right, CBT and theory are cc independent so once you turn 24 you should be able to do the two tests for the unrestricted access. To be honest I am not sure if I would even bother, ok I am meant to be restricted to 33bhp but it doesn't really enter my head.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Ok this is how it looks to me, but endofreak at the very least will prob be able to confirm :p

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/about-compulsory-basic-training-cbt

Creaney, in your instance

• if a rider has completed CBT on a moped or A1 motorcycle, they must complete an additional CBT course on an A2 or A motorcycle as they will not have been trained at speeds in excess of 45mph
  • learner riders of medium sized motorcycles (category A2) or large motorcycles (category A) with a CBT certificate cannot ride unless accompanied by an AMI at all times when riding on the public road
  • learner riders of medium sized motorcycles (category A2) or large motorcycles (category A) will not be restricted to 45 mph while being trained and tested but must continue to display “R” plates after passing the test ( RMS Jonny there's part of your answer for your question, although doesnt say one way or another about restricted to 33bhp, but then i think all this is to do away with restrictor kits as no-one bothered so they're limiting 'cubs' to smaller bikes to protect them a bit more)
So Creaney basically i think im right in saying you could do your theory now but you'd be better waiting until you're 24 before doing a cbt as currently you will only be allowed to go for the A1 category (125's and the likes) but then, as in point 1, you'll also have to do a CBT when 24 to move on to the A2 category's (400/600/750 etc).

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Im still awaiting to be proven wrong as i may be missing something, so dont count my chickens yet :p

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
yes guys looked into it there for myself , done my theory on weds and passed , now waiting till I turn 24 to do my CBT and test which will allow me to get a GSXR 600 :grinning:. Other than gumtree , usedcarsni and biketrader , anywere else good to look for possible ones forsale? thanks

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
I'm pretty sure you are right, CBT and theory are cc independent so once you turn 24 you should be able to do the two tests for the unrestricted access. To be honest I am not sure if I would even bother, ok I am meant to be restricted to 33bhp but it doesn't really enter my head.

its more about what bikes you can ride , for instance unless I am 24 I couldn't get a GSXR 600 even if it was restricted to 33bhp , SV650 etc is the ones you can ride on the smaller test :grinning:

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
I was looking for a good month before I picked up my supermoto. It was up for sale for 3 hours.

Advice

Have cash about handy and don't be hanging about for viewing.

I was blessed with the fact I was able to throw the bike in the back of the van to get it home as I didn't have my test then

M4TT

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI Mk7.5
I think anyone who gets on an unrestricted supersport for their first bike needs their head looked at. I'm looking for a 600cc bike for my first bike, but i'll definitely restrict it till i have the experience to ride it and not kill myself.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I think anyone who gets on an unrestricted supersport for their first bike needs their head looked at. I'm looking for a 600cc bike for my first bike, but i'll definitely restrict it till i have the experience to ride it and not kill myself.

I thought that myself but here I am. You can kill yourself just as easily on a 125, if anything I feel safer on a 600cc where I don't have to rev the nuts off it to get up to normal speeds.

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J

some people may have experience of riding bikes before just not on the road may be something to think about :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Some people do just want something to go mental in too, having no experience, but sure it could be said of many a thing...

Id have thought insurance would put more newbies off something along the lines of a Supersport anyway :scream:

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
Some people do just want something to go mental in too, having no experience, but sure it could be said of many a thing...

Id have thought insurance would put more newbies off something along the lines of a Supersport anyway :scream:

my insurance is working out at £700 for a GSXR 600 which is decent in my eyes :grinning: , true I agree could say the same about people getting fast cars too as first cars :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
£700 for motorbike insurance lol :scream::scream: Ah well, as long as you're happy thats all that matters :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.