Mourne Rally this Sat 12th . . . . . .

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
. . . . . Round five of the Pacenotes Northern Ireland Rally Championship is set to kick off this Saturday 12 June with Newry and District Motor Club’s all tarmac Gass Brothers Mourne Rally.

Based at the Mourne Country Hotel in Newry, County Down, the event features nine timed stages giving competitors a total of 50 stage miles. Camlough, Slieve Gullion and the challenging ten mile Cooley Mountain closed road stage will all be tackled three times, with each loop separated by service at Carnbane Industrial Estate.

The first car is due to leave the start ramp at 10.30am before the opening stage through Camlough at 10.40am. Derek McGarrity heads the 130 strong field in his S8 specification Subaru Impreza WRC while current championship leader Kevin Lynch is at number two in his new S9 Impreza. Event sponsor, Millview Fuels director Maurice Gass, completes the top three seeds but the men at the front will face stiff opposition from a number of other championship regulars such as Glenn Allen, Denis Biggerstaff, James Gillen, Craig Bennett and George Robinson.

Throwing a spanner among the works, former event winner David Armstrong will be hoping for another good run over the Mourne stages, while overseas visitor Melvyn Evans cannot be discounted as he brings his Impreza WRC to the event. Evans is currently third overall in the Rallysport Challenge championship, a series which takes competitors across the UK and Ireland. The Gass Brothers Mourne Rally is a counting round towards the series and a solid result from Evans could take him to the top of the Rallysport Challenge tables.

With a strong entry from a number of leading Group N pilots, the battle for overall category honours will be fierce. Ballyronan’s Seamus Donnelly currently holds a four point advantage over Dickie Curran after winning his class at last month’s Tour of the Sperrins. Both men will be tussling for the lead along with current Junior Driver category leader, John McGlaughlin. Michael Curran and Stanley Ballantine also return to the fray in their Mitsubishis while Rallysport Challenge competitors, Mark Morgan and Claire Donovan, both make the trip from across the water.

The event has also received a strong entry from modified crews with Pat Donegan, Gerry Smyth, Enda Keenan and Norman, Steven and Brian Armstrong, all entered in rear-wheel-drive cars.

Rally Gala Evening – proceeds to Newry Hospice

After the event’s prize-giving, sponsors Kenny and Maurice Gass will be holding a rally gala evening at Gosford Road Service Station. Tickets for the evening cost £25 per person with all proceeds going to Newry Hospice. A full steak barbeque and live music will be provided while Irish rally stars will be present and rally cars will be on display. A raffle offering the chance to sit beside some of the country’s leading drivers will also be held.

To purchase tickets for the evening, contact Kenny on 028 3750 7178. Only 250 tickets are available and will be sold on a first come, first served basis.

Entries include:

Derek McGarrity, Kevin Lynch, Glenn Allen, Denis Biggerstaff, James Gillen, Craig Bennett, David Armstrong, George Robinson, Maurice Gass, Alan Nesbitt, and overseas visitor Melvyn Evans (Impreza WRC).

Group N, - Mike / Dickie Curran, Seamus Donnelly, John McGlaughlin, Gary / John Cairns, Stanley Ballantine. From across the water - Mark Morgan and Claire Donaldson.

Modifieds - Pat Donegan, Norman Armstrong, Steven Armstrong, Brian Armstrong, Maurice Moffett, Gerry Smith etc

cheers to www.ral.ly for this info !

more event info at www.nadmc.co.uk

Myself, Gerard and a few others that ain't on the site will be in attendance so maybe see some of you's there :grinning:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Hope to make it to this!! Not too far away from me either!

Where's the best places to watch it though as i've never made it up to it before?

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
ain't been before either paul so am going on rallycomms advice as i have heard cooley is a great stage !

Recovery

Stages are as follows:

Start - 1030

SS1/4/7 Camlough - SS1 FCD 1043
SS2/5/8 Big Gullion - SS2 FCD 1108
SS3/6/9 Cooley - SS3 FCD 1156

Service FCD 1224

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I'll be up in the morning - probably only able to stay until the first service so don't know how much i'll see. Not sure where i'm headed to either, I know where the service is but thats about it. If anyone sees me driving about lost looking, give me a shout!! :lol:

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
was a great event and the jumps where unreal :laughing:

few sample pix

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
told you the jumps where good lad ;). I eventully made it to see them on the last run of the day!

Thanks to recovery again for towing me home! I owe ye big time! cheers.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.