My '96 E36 M3 Evo Saloon

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Your on the better end of the work anyway. Mustn't be far of concours. Hopefully will get a look round it at a meet sometime.

I think so too :grinning:. She will be at a few more meets next / this year / 2016, so give me a shout if you are at one :grinning:.

SPIKE_

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI | JCW
Love reading a thread like this one....stunning car that gets the "money is no object" kind of approach.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Love reading a thread like this one....stunning car that gets the "money is no object" kind of approach.

Ta very much Spike. It's more a case of planning every job, so if its worth doing a few things at the same time, I will. So its a case of saving until I can do it properly, and while its out paint it, replace x bolts etc etc.

OCD FTW :laughing:.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Some better photos from the DSLR as promised. Really chuffed with the paint job. You pay for what you get as they say...

This photo also shows off the rear muffler well, or well it shows how discreet it is when painted.

DSC08096.jpg

DSC08101.jpg

DSC08103.jpg

DSC08105.jpg

The sun roof panel ready to fit. That's on the to do list, along with a new gasket.

DSC08107.jpg

I'm laughing as I type this... The jack was a little scuffed and showing signs of use. So it was stripped, primed and painted, looks good as new.

20160124_141152.jpg

20160124_141204.jpg

20160124_141215.jpg

I used Ed China's favourite Satin Black, as I felt it looked a little fresher than the OE matt black.

20160127_184312.jpg

20160127_184327.jpg

20160127_184400.jpg

Fitted in the boot, never to be seen again haha!

20160127_184731.jpg

20160127_184741.jpg

I also picked up a set of new carpet mats. I'll fit these after giving the inside a good clean (it's still a little dusty from the body shop).

20160127_184900.jpg

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Quick bm bore question. Is the side repeaters not different on the Evo compared to the 3.0 or has the saloons all got the same ones?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
They are indeed sir, from memory they are orange on the 3.0.

The face lift had larger side repeaters, where the lense is wider, i.e. less of the black plastic surround.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
love the painting the jack idea lol, started doing the same on mine in the pug over the weekend while I had the spare wheel out from underneath. Surprised to see it has a 106 rallye steel as a spare so that will be going to get refurb'd along with the rest of the rims.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
You've gone nuts now painting the jack :grinning:

Finished writing the article yet :p

LOL, because I wasn't already...

Actually yes, but I keep tweaking it, as I waffle too much :worried:.

BTW re the photobook, if you're about or going past any time, just shout and I can show you it.

love the painting the jack idea lol, started doing the same on mine in the pug over the weekend while I had the spare wheel out from underneath. Surprised to see it has a 106 rallye steel as a spare so that will be going to get refurb'd along with the rest of the rims.

Shout if I can be of any help :grinning:. That would be a nice touch to have it hanging there super clean :grinning:.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Did you get your jack sand blasted first Neil?

I didn't get it blasted. It didn't really need it. It would also have required fully disassembling of the jack, which I doubt would have been possible without breaking it.

I sealed any greased sections of the jack and any parts I didn't want to get dirty. Any rust was removed with light sanding. All surfaces to be painted were keyed by hand. A solvent was used to spray and wipe down the surface. It was etch primed then painted.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
yeah there's a few bits of surface rust on mine but ill go through the same steps as you and that should have it sorted, cheers(y)

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
starting to really warm to saloon e36 m3's. that is a real cracking looking motor.

Cheers Ciaran :grinning:.

I appreciate the Coupes are the popular choice. However I love the very subtle appearance of the Saloon. Especially as mine doesn't have the rear spoiler or front splitter. It's something different as its a rarer choice, always a talking point :grinning:.