My '96 E36 M3 Evo Saloon

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Saturday the 14th October was the NI BMW Coast Road Run. A cracking charity event thats not to be missed.

It was a very wet day, however they are usually brilliant fun, the M3 also needed the cobwebs blow out.

Idling away here on the drive way.

20171014_092026.jpg

One of the stop off points. BMWs everywhere!!

I luckily followed this E46 M3 for the first few legs. Stunning car and a perfect stance. @Jordy

20171014_124714.jpg

20171014_124716.jpg

20171014_124717.jpg

20171014_124719.jpg

The end of the coast run and time for a feed!

The M5 and I broke off for the last leg of the run. Blasting down the coast roads after him was brilliant fun.

I was buzzing when we stopped off, I'd forgotten the real world pace of the M3, it just doesn't shout about it.

20171014_164717.jpg

Back home, safe and sound. The car was absolutely boggin (well for me it was).

20171014_175906.jpg

20171014_175931.jpg

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
Thanks Neil! (y)

Class day out, the M3 looked class every time I looked in rear view mirror. Lovely car!

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Stunning car Neil.

I’ve seen it at a few shows over the years, it always catches my eye.

Definitely going to get to a few of the NI BMW things next year if I’m still in the E46.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Stunning car Neil.

I’ve seen it at a few shows over the years, it always catches my eye.

Definitely going to get to a few of the NI BMW things next year if I’m still in the E46.

Cheers dude, I've been working at it earlier in the week. It's a lovely thing to work on. It always strikes me as a well thought through car.

Join up to NI BMW on FaceBook and you will see most event's advertised there.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Only seeing this now, that’s stunning, the colour really sets it off imo. Good to see it dirty too lol course keep it good but use it too. Health to enjoy.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Good to get her out on the open road, that straight six just isn’t happy unless it’s out getting through the revs.

You are 100% there! She might have to get out for a quick scoot before the winter comes!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Get her out this weekend, a cool, crisp dry autumn day will have her singing beautifully, I hate these threads, reminds me that I was an ass and sold this...

View attachment 170175

That is just beaut! When did you sell That?

Unfortunately she won't be getting much attention this weekend :worried:. Not enough hours in the day!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Well after around four years the 21 year old M3 finally let me down a little...

I jumped into the car to take it out of the garage and give her a wash.

Foot on the clutch and boom it falls and stays on the floor. Toe under the clutch to lift it up and as soon as I press on the clutch it does the same.

Luckily I had a clutch slave cylinder in the garage ready to fit.

Clearance is tight enough without a lift, pretty uncomfortable doing this on your back...

The new slave is fitted (this fits on the left hand side of the gearbox).

20171019_190714.jpg

20171020_192014.jpg

However there was no joy after replacing the slave. Possibly due to air being left in the system (they are notoriously difficult to bleed).

I replaced the master cylinder too. This is another job made difficult due to its location (at the clutch pedal). It was just about to be removed here...

20171101_202748.jpg

Old v new. The old item on the left is a cheaper plastic FAG unit, the right hand metal one is a Brembo item. The Brembo item is a much sturdier item as you can imagine, however the low pressure feed doesn't use a retaining clip. A slight difference, so hopefully that doesn't cause a problem...

20171102_183550.jpg

The new master cylinder installed.

20171102_200627.jpg

The clutch pedal being assembled... Cleaned and lubricated too :laughing:.

20171104_143916%280%29.jpg

I reverse bled the entire system twice and all is working as it should. I believe the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder was causing problems as it wasn't drilled and tapped straight into the body, its pretty tight but now seals well.

Interestingly the clutch now is significantly lighter than ever before. Supposedly they get quite heavy with age. Especially as the master cylinder is commonly missed.

It's now quite a different car to drive, the lighter clutch pressure and sharp clutch action takes a little getting used to again.

She was taken for a good test run to make sure everything was ok before hibernation. Tuesday night was a mild and dry evening, so off to the Petrol Station for some fuel. I bumped into two fellow enthusiasts who were full of compliments on the car so good meeting you guys...

A good run out in the car down my favourite back roads has me loving the car again. Especially going through thoughts of fixing the car with fire :p. Working on the car on the driveway on a very cold winter evening is not fun.