New Arrangements for Taxing and Registering Vehicles

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve C

RMS Regular
Thanks.

So the system that's tells them if a car is taxed can't tell them if a car has mot!?

j2112

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F36
Couldn't get mine done either - online or via the automated phone system. Neither would accept the numbers given. Gave up and went to the post office, but it wouldn't work there either. Spent half an hour on the phone before finally getting to speak to a real live person. She's sending me out a new V5c for some reason and I've to phone back today to a real person and tax the car. I'm guessing there's some sort of issue with whatever way this cars data is recorded at dvla, particularly as others seen to have had no issues.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Out of the cars I've noticed this morning, only one has had the disc down and the mot one still displayed.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Don't know whether or not to take mine down. It has the original porsche dealer disc holder and enthusiasts like that shiit

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Say you sell your car with a few months tax, this new system says you're meant to claim back the tax.

How do they know? Because you send the tax book in?
But isn't the tax box just responsibility to tax the car and not evidence of car owner?

Could you not write them a receipt and give them tax book and tell them to send it in closer to the tax expiring?

Just annoys me you'll lose a months tax, no so bad on cheaper ones but 460 a year ones :worried:

Last edited:

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Once you let them know that the car is sold, ie. forwarding them the reg book for change of ownership, they will automatically refund you any tax remaining. If you give them a receipt the car will be registered to you until the tax expires. Personally I wouldn't want that.

What I was wondering was, if you sold your car on the 2nd of the month, and then put the date of sale as the last day of the previous month so you wouldn't lose a months tax, would they find out..

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
R.I.P.
Tax disc.jpg

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Im removing my disc, but putting it in the glove box in case of any problems. My luck, the system will tell the police im not taxed lol.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Once you let them know that the car is sold, ie. forwarding them the reg book for change of ownership, they will automatically refund you any tax remaining. If you give them a receipt the car will be registered to you until the tax expires. Personally I wouldn't want that.

What I was wondering was, if you sold your car on the 2nd of the month, and then put the date of sale as the last day of the previous month so you wouldn't lose a months tax, would they find out..

Doubt it but you're unlikely to find a new owner willing to accept it, I know I wouldn't. If you whizzed past a speed camera on the 1st day then the new owner is going to have to say you were driving it. The can of worms initiates its opening sequence.

I thought about this the other night and reckon I'll probably just SORN the car and sell it that way. I've a few motors to drive at so can leave the car that's for sale sitting on the driveway till it goes. For example if I decided today I'm going to sell my car I'll SORN it from 1st November and use away at it this month and stick it on for sale next month or towards the end of this month. Max I lose is a few days. The new owner will have to tax straight away so unless it takes over a month to sell (and you're test driving it on the road with timewasters) then you shouldn't really be breaking any rules either because the back tax will catch it.

No double taxes :grinning:

Ashton

RMS Regular
Drives
Teething issues with website but im sure they will be ironed out, did mine online there and had a few issues with loading but renewed it in the end.
Do we still need to display MOT?

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Doubt it but you're unlikely to find a new owner willing to accept it, I know I wouldn't. If you whizzed past a speed camera on the 1st day then the new owner is going to have to say you were driving it. The can of worms initiates its opening sequence.

I thought about this the other night and reckon I'll probably just SORN the car and sell it that way. I've a few motors to drive at so can leave the car that's for sale sitting on the driveway till it goes. For example if I decided today I'm going to sell my car I'll SORN it from 1st November and use away at it this month and stick it on for sale next month or towards the end of this month. Max I lose is a few days. The new owner will have to tax straight away so unless it takes over a month to sell (and you're test driving it on the road with timewasters) then you shouldn't really be breaking any rules either because the back tax will catch it.

No double taxes :grinning:

Agreed, I would want to try it myself, but im sure some will have a go, especially if they only have one car.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
What happens if I go to view a car private.
Like the car, pay for it.
If I ring and get insurance there and then, then can I ring and get tax or do it online straight away.
Or will I have to make a return journey to the seller's place in a day or two when the insurance system updates with my details?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.