Personal Car Lease

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

davey21

RMS Regular
Looks alot better a deal when your getting a smaller car compared to a dearer car imo because your other option is getting one 3 year old then driving for 3-4 years, then 7 years old and not worth alot anyway. Lest this way you can get colour spec servicing and new.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
I'm just going by a guy in work who had an Audi out from Agnew's themselves, they were seriously fussy when it came to hand it back.

all our lease cars through Agnews have went direct to Wilsons Auctions

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Must've got a jobsworth... bet he didn't have to pay anything though

seanmooney

RMS Regular
What way does it work if you are doing higher than average mileage?

I was thinking of selling the mk6 and going for something like a gtd or something but im doing 21k roughly a year..

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
What way does it work if you are doing higher than average mileage?

I was thinking of selling the mk6 and going for something like a gtd or something but im doing 21k roughly a year..

You can buy more mileage up front, but check the rates because often the penalty is cheaper than the additional monthly payments.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
We have neighbours who lease a 6.3 litre AMG Merc and a BMW 335i cabriolet. Looking at their driveway you'd think they were loaded. I think that's the main benefit for them. Though in fairness, you'd need a few quid to keep up the payments on either of them.

Last edited:

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Just out of interest @Woodcutter - have you ever considered leasing a car for yourself through the business?

I've always bought outright but looking at some if the deals available, leasing might be an attractive option for owning something fresh for a couple of years.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Just out of interest @Woodcutter - have you ever considered leasing a car for yourself through the business?

I've always bought outright but looking at some if the deals available, leasing might be an attractive option for owning something fresh for a couple of years.

This thread actually made me think about it Conor. I have a van that I use daily, but a car would be great, maybe a small-ish estate car like a Mini Clubman or something that could be used as a van if/when required.

BIK tax would be a bollocks though so I'll probably not bother.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
This thread actually made me think about it Conor. I have a van that I use daily, but a car would be great, maybe a small-ish estate car like a Mini Clubman or something that could be used as a van if/when required.

BIK tax would be a bollocks though so I'll probably not bother.

Would BIK apply if it was registered in P&C's name though?

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
That would mean it being a pool car, so strictly speaking it would need to be left at company premises I think?

Ah, you could be right there.

I remember buying my A4 avant a few years back and it was VAT qualifying.

We considered claiming the VAT on it but our accountant advised us that it would have to be kept on the business premises at night and could only be used for business purposes.

Didn't fancy getting snared some day in Victoria square or somewhere so didn't bother!

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi

Surely just go the company car route?

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Aye I understand that, but provided you're not opting for something ridiculous BIK shouldn't be to harsh. If you don't want to pay BIK then get an electric car as your company car. They're exempt or something with uber low co2 emissions for a reduced tax rate

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Aye I understand that, but provided you're not opting for something ridiculous BIK shouldn't be to harsh. If you don't want to pay BIK then get an electric car as your company car. They're exempt or something with uber low co2 emissions for a reduced tax rate

Electric car? There's the rub. I was thinking of an M135i! :p

stevyg

RMS Regular
Lease is a terrible option, but you'll probably not change your mind once you're set on getting one that way.

Cars are simple, they go down in value, regardless. But who ends up paying for the depreciation? The dealership out of the kindness of their hearts? They throw that into your contract so you're going to be paying for it either way.
You are paying the total cost of capital (which includes the interest on the car too) otherwise the dealership would lose money. And I'm sure you know, they make a killing on leases which is why they would rather sell you lease over even financing a new car for you.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.