RCD510 into Golf Mark 5

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Girlfriend wants to be able to connect her i-phone into the radio, so was wondering if the RCD510 headunit was a straight swap into a 2006 Golf mark 5, or will there be other complications?
I'm looking the simplest way to do it, and she would prefer to keep the "factory" headunit if at all possible!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No interest in the sat nav Adrian? The RNS is worth the extra.

If shes on a budget, I'd probably just go for an RCD310 as personally I think the RCD510 is woeful!

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
No need for sat nav, and just thought the 510 would be the job, as she liked the one in the sisters Scirocco. What's the difference in the 310 and 510? All I need really is the i-phone connectivity although hands free would be a bonus as well!

pablo

RMS Moderator
510 doesnt do ipod, youd need to get the music interface addon or use one of the cd changer type things which are a bit crap.

510 is good with a decent SD card though, full track listings etc. I fitted one to my passat and all I needed was the aerial adapter.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
510 doesnt do ipod, youd need to get the music interface addon or use one of the cd changer type things which are a bit crap.

510 is good with a decent SD card though, full track listings etc. I fitted one to my passat and all I needed was the aerial adapter.

I liked the 510 in my sisters car because it was able to connect to the i-phone through Bluetooth and could control it through the headunit.
Could i the MDI kit be fitted to the 300 that is in the car at the minute and save buying a headunit as well?

pablo

RMS Moderator
doubt a 300 could do it.

510 is lovely with the touchscreen etc. But you defo need those add ons. Watch for the far east 510s as they have no MDI port etc.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
300 not computable with the MDI.

However, from what I can see the 310 wont work with your car though as pre early 07 the can gateway causes the car battery to drain.

Same with the 510.

pablo

RMS Moderator
oh sh!t yeah I had to swap can gateway too. Another 70-80 quid odds.

you can bodge it but not the best solution.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Depends when in 06 the car is. Late 06 might be ok.

If you can plug the car in to check the can revision and its K or later, you're elected.

pablo

RMS Moderator
you can rewire the fuse to the HU to be a switched live vs perm live will stop the drain but it will need to reinitialise each time you turn it up.

like so:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Balls to that, if you're going down that route a new can would be easier. I got mine for £40.

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
The car is late 06, chassis number has it down as an 07 model.

I don't want to spend a complete fortune on it though, could end up with an facia and aftermarket headunit yet!!!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It'd be cheaper! Especially if you have no multifunction wheel or highline display.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.