Refurbing wheels - stripping paint the easy way

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
lookin superb as ever!! these the fresh pics or the one u did a while back?

the rite rim polished on a car looks super :laughing: miami blue wud suit them!!

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
same pics from about 4 years ago Scotty :p

though i'm hoping to get a full set finished this week as i've not much on for a while. once i have them done i'll stick them on eBay most likely to see what they make :laughing:

i've a set of Fondmetal 4000s here as well to do. exact same as chrisni_1986's wheels on the Saxo. Going to do them as well but not sure if i could part with them (even though i doubt i'll ever own another Peugeot!)

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
might take some in-progress pics of the wheel i stripped with caustic soda to show how it turns out...

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Great job that. I have the Mi16 wheels to do soon and was either gonna get them shot blasted or just strip the paint myself. Might just get some caustic soda now

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
was gonna get them blasted myself but when i enquired it was like £10-20 a wheel :confounded: doing this was just a matter of mixing the soda solution and dumping the wheel in it.

i was considering filling my recycle wheelie bin with caustic soda and throwing the rest of the alloys in :p

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Just looked there and a half kilo of caustic soda is about £4 delivered from fleabay. Plenty to do a set of 4 wheels Craig?

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
yeah mate more than enough for 4 wheels.

but remember the one i done that i posted pics here already had good bit of the paint removed with Nitromors already. i just found the last bits of paint hard to get off without rubbing down do used the caustic soda solution.

like i said earlier, theres going to be a bit of trial and error in getting it right.

your Mi16 rims shouldn't be too hard to strip though, they have thick relatively flat spokes, whereas the 1.9 rims i have are a right pain in the arse as they have so many nooks and crannies in them as you can see.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Mi16 wheels aren't as smooth as you think tbh. The spoke sort of slopes in at the outer edge of the rim, plus there's a stepped edge on each side of the spoke.
dsc00319bz0.jpg

Bought some Strypit paint remover to do the rocker cover with and found it alot better than Nitromors. Have some left so I'll try this all on the spare rim before I touch the others.
Rocker cover turned out not too bad:grinning:
dsc00315tq8.jpg

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
was gonna get them blasted myself but when i enquired it was like £10-20 a wheel :confounded: doing this was just a matter of mixing the soda solution and dumping the wheel in it.

i was considering filling my recycle wheelie bin with caustic soda and throwing the rest of the alloys in :p

lmfao now that would be entertaining

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
lol, will let you know how it goes LeeBall :p

@Ryan, i had a set of fully refurbed Mi16 rims about a year ago, they are definitely nowhere near as hard as 1.9 GTi rims!

chrisni1986

RMS Regular
Drives
525 M Sport
anywhere local to lisburn that does finer grade sand paper than 1500 that you know of craig?

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
not that i can think of, but i don't think its needed. try using a bit of G3 instead :grinning:

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Thought I'd give this a go with one of my wheel centres from the MK2 GTI (teardop alloys)
Left it overnight and the damed thing had melted into a small pile on the bottom of the bucket! Must have used too much caustic soda

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
It was aluminium craig lad. Only thing I can think of is that I used a bit too much of the stuff

2002 Tii

Banned
OP
2002 Tii
i think you did, don't think you should have left it overnight either. you should hear it fizzing away straight away when you put it in the solution. with such a small item you should just keep an eye on it till the paint comes off i would imagine...

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Didn't really matter as it was the worst wheel centre out of the set anyway.
Decided against stripping the Mi16 wheels anyway. Just rubbing down any bubbled areas with the Dremel and a sandpaper flap, then spraying with filler primer. But since my compressor shat itself last week i had to do it with an aerosol. Didn't turn out too bad considering. (sh!te pics though)

dsc00371yg4.jpg
dsc00372et2.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
They look good to me...

Must be something in the air these days... just touched up ANOTHER set myself and I know a few guys doing theirs, or about to start a set...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.