Removing sticky residue left behind from sticker?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Hi guys,

what is the best product to use to remove the sticky residue left behind from a sticker , that will not damage the paint work too. It has been stuck on a plastic part if that makes any difference too. Sticker has been removed years ago but you can see the sticky square mark of residue were it was.

Had thought about petrol myself but unsure if it would possibly damage the painted plastic surface it has been stuck to.?

cheers :grinning:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Thinners will normally melt plastic if left on for an extended period of time, but I've found it to be the best in the past for removing residue or any other marks. You just need to rub it on quickly with a cloth, then use another cloth to immediately dry it off.

moorsojr

RMS Regular
Drives
320D M Sport
as above, some thinners then have a bucket of water ready to wipe over the area.

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
The thinners option worries me as its completely mint and I don't want to chance damaging the paint, someone I know had metioned furniture polish can be used for this? Something that's safe and will definitely not damage the paint is what I really want :grinning:

@David_Showerks is it expensive? From antrim davy is in carryduff if I remember correct?

moorsojr

RMS Regular
Drives
320D M Sport
The thinners option worries me as its completely mint and I don't want to chance damaging the paint, someone I know had metioned furniture polish can be used for this? Something that's safe and will definitely not damage the paint is what I really want :grinning:

@David_Showerks is it expensive? From antrim davy is in carryduff if I remember correct?
its not expensive and is very effective. i have had the same bottle for well over a year and still plenty left. Yeah Davy is in carryduff.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Would the same apply to the glue left behind after removing tindow tints?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Tar and glue makes removing tints a ball ache, get a strong alcohol based glass cleaner, spray it on then take a new Stanley blade at a 45degree angle and remove it that way. Softens the glue without making it sticky

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
my Tarminator will remove sticky residues, and comes in a 1lt bottle with a special trigger spray head. As @big_pete says though, don't use it on tints. it will be so tiresome. clear view will do that job as outlined with a stanley blade

Ā£7 for the Tarminator and special spray head, plus Ā£3.50 next day delivery.

alternatively, Davey@procar has it in stock.

outperforms Tardis etc. easily - see the reviews on my thread from other users who now swear by it!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@Big pimps stuff works great, removed duck tape glue that had been baked in by the sun over a week, spray on a let it sit a few minutes and it will fall off.

In using thinners be very very careful, must factory paint jobs stick it no bother but I'd a panel has been sprayed by a bodyshop can very easily melt the lacquer, best not risking it unless it's a last resort

Last edited:

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Mr Sheen furniture polish was always my weapon of choice.

Then wash, car polish and wax to protect again :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.