'ROAD' Film about the Dunlop family

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
Went with a few mates to odessy last nite really enjoyed it and tbe live q and a after

Cess

RMS Staff
Yeah its all on the Road movie web page. All Movie House cinemas are showing it from Friday, for example.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I'm sure it ain't an easy watch? I'm pondering going to the QFT some night.

Cess

RMS Staff
Ah, crapola. Was thinking about taking Da on Sunday, after MotoGP was over.

Cess

RMS Staff
Saw it myself. It's excellent in every way. The story is told in a sensitive and compelling fashion.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Went last night with a few mates. We all know the story but watching and hearing what the Dunlop family had gone through from when they first started to the deaths of Joey and Robert and now with William and Michael racing today, definitately hard to watch at times and will choke you up a few times.

That's the first I've seen Roberts crash and it was very odd. You see the bike sieze then flip over the front wheel. My only thought to that was maybe a lapse in consentration on Roberts side and forgetting that the clutch lever was in facts a brake lever. A typical move for a 2 stroke rider to pull the clutch in when a bike siezes and it was just a natural reaction?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Where are you guys seeing it? Cityside Movie House is the only place I can see.

Edit: just seen the Oddysey have it too.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Went last night with a few mates. We all know the story but watching and hearing what the Dunlop family had gone through from when they first started to the deaths of Joey and Robert and now with William and Michael racing today, definitately hard to watch at times and will choke you up a few times.

That's the first I've seen Roberts crash and it was very odd. You see the bike sieze then flip over the front wheel. My only thought to that was maybe a lapse in consentration on Roberts side and forgetting that the clutch lever was in facts a brake lever. A typical move for a 2 stroke rider to pull the clutch in when a bike siezes and it was just a natural reaction?
I remember when robert was looking to get racing again and there was a fairly open discussion from the scrutineers that this would be the main issue, instinct would kick in if a seizure happened and hed yank on the brake. :worried:
Wanna get to see this soon.

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
Fantastic show, taking the other half to see it again on Tuesday. I felt numb after watching it, couldnt stop thinking about it all the way home, it really does leave you drained. So much so, that Emma knew something was wrong with me when I got in home. Ive watched nearly every Robert/Joey docu that I could get my hands on over the years, but still enjoyed seeing this. It shows things from an altogether different tangent.
The SP1 victory still leaves me in awe, they were meant to be a dog of a bike back then, with an on off throttle, and yet mcguinness said he couldnt get close.
It makes me glad for all the times ive been to road races and seen their efforts, and that we live in a country that still allows this to continue.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
The SP1 victory still leaves me in awe, they were meant to be a dog of a bike back then, with an on off throttle, and yet mcguinness said he couldnt get close.

That would be because Joey had Aaron Slights WSBK motor in that bike. Flown in especially by Honda and back out again after the race (pretty much) Shows how much respect Honda had for Joey.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Just home from this. Incredible show.

Even though I've never ridden a bike beyond the bottom of the street, I think anyone from NI that follows road racing feels like they have maybe have a bit of Dunlop in them or that they some how "know' the family and can share a bit of the pride and tragedy in their lives. I think maybe the fact it is set on roads that we drive every day reinforces that.

Very emotional and very, very powerful. If you're thinking of waiting for the DVD - don't is all I can say. Big screens and heart thumping surround sound were made for films like these.

Last edited:

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
If you're thinking of waiting for the DVD - don't is all I can say. Big screens and heart thumping surround sound were made for films like these.

I totally concur, not to mention the restoration work on old footage is simply immense. Really looking forward to seeing this again tonight, the Mrs is a huge MD fan, so re ran the 08 nw200 250cc for her last night, she balled her lamps out from the last lap onwards lol, im nearly tempted to record what will no doubt be a waterworks occassion later haha!

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Finally got to see it but brought a mate who kept talking the whole way through it which ruined it.
Only tears I had were of anger lol

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Managed to get myself a copy of the DVD this afternoon, so that's my evenings viewing sorted!

Loved it on the big screen, but nothing beats watching a movie in the comfort of your own home! :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.