S5 vs M2 vs C43 amg

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Is this going to be a family car or something for you only?

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
If you got a C43, would you not be left wondering what a C63 was like? That was the mentality that got me into buying an MR2 Turbo rather than an N/A MR2 back in the day.

Personally I'd go down the years a bit, as suggested previously and get something really racy. Aston Martin, 911 Turbo etc

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
None of the above.

This:

C683394A-80A8-4626-AC82-CC40F7D3B4B6.jpeg

0C270D16-5167-4442-BF52-B4561A5C2AE0.jpeg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I know it's not comparing apples with apples but for what you're going to pay for one of the above cars you could get something a little bit older, rarer and something that might even appreciate.

Depreciation on one of those should easily cover the upkeep on something older too. Not quite sure on budget but up to 40k buys:

997 gts manual
R8 manual
996 turbo
Cayman gts manual
M3 V8 comp manual

You’re not getting a manual 997 GTS or Cayman GTS for £40k these days!

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
You’re not getting a manual 997 GTS or Cayman GTS for £40k these days!

Had a look at the 997 gts earlier and was shocked to see them over 50k already, never mind the crazy price a manual is now! Nearly the same price as a newer manual gt4 or 4.0 gts Cayman.

neil-c

RMS Regular
We've been dailying an S5 for the last 4 years or so. Wife currently commutes from Lisburn to Derry in it 2 or 3 days a week 😶 (she gets mileage back) and it's class for that. It's a fast cruiser, not a sports car though. It's one of the last V8s and has a great interior and very comfortable place to sit. If you're looking a sports car it wouldn't be on my list but it's a dream daily if you can get your head around the mpg.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Guy I know had a 16 C43 saloon and was plauged with problems, constantly going into limp mode, so ended up sending it back to Agnews.

Could've been a Friday afternoon car but worth reading up about...

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Very different cars.

S5 is dull to look at, and drive IMO. An RS5 is fantastic.

I don't like Mercedes, so C43 is out foe me.

I almost bought an M2 competition, great driving car. Country Garage have/had a nice HS one with the carbon kit on it.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Very different cars.

S5 is dull to look at, and drive IMO. An RS5 is fantastic.

I don't like Mercedes, so C43 is out foe me.

I almost bought an M2 competition, great driving car. Country Garage have/had a nice HS one with the carbon kit on it.
HS M2 Comp - never had as many positive comments on a car‘s stance and look as mine. Bit of a change to my ‘stilts stance’ 335d! Should’ve gotta sun visor thing made up for it!

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
S5 gets a mixed response on the thread..

I’ve had mine 8/9 months now and it’s been faultless. Plenty fast, great tech with virtual dash, refined for long run and surprisingly economical. I get the ‘dull’ comments, but I put mine in sport/manual mode on dynamic setting and its a cracking machine.

I had a similar shortlist to you but needed a practical element with 2 young kids, which I think the S5 offered more of over the others.

2FB71410-2FEF-45EF-A46B-FDBEE0CD7CA8.jpeg

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
S5 gets a mixed response on the thread..

I’ve had mine 8/9 months now and it’s been faultless. Plenty fast, great tech with virtual dash, refined for long run and surprisingly economical. I get the ‘dull’ comments, but I put mine in sport/manual mode on dynamic setting and its a cracking machine.

I had a similar shortlist to you but needed a practical element with 2 young kids, which I think the S5 offered more of over the others.

View attachment 321089
I really like the S5 and would love one in sportback form. I test drove one a couple of years ago and loved it.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I really like the S5 and would love one in sportback form. I test drove one a couple of years ago and loved it.

The S5 or RS5 is one of the few cars I think looks better in sportback form than coupe.