Shogun V6 LWB

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
With not having to commute to work anymore, the Smart car will be going soon.
Also now that I work away for half the year, the wife was paranoid about the biggest Arctic blast in 100 years leaving her stuck in the drive with her BMW. Plus I've always wanted something for messing about offroad with, so it made perfect sense to buy a 4x4 of some sort!

I'd my heart set on a Jimny due to their capabilities off road, but when I took her to see one she just looked at me and said "WTF is that?". That's a direct quote an all lol. Still took it for a test drive, but even when I showed her pictures of lift kits and big tyres, she wasn't having it.

So ended up looking on the mainland for Pajeros, Hilux Surfs, Grand Cherokees etc, when this came up for sale 4 miles out the road! Perfect for what we need!

Just turned 114k miles today, the guy went to England for it in 2008 and has owned it ever since. In that time it has done 2k miles a year with all work done by Robinsons 4x4 and also a timing belt 100miles ago due to getting a new water pump. Had everything from under dealing, new alternator, new brake lines, new calipers, radiator, new towbar the list goes on and have receipts for everything! Still has original headlight covers on an all and all the keys.

Not the prettiest paint wise, but no major rust and it should tidy up alright when I send it for a Romanian detail on Boucher Rd lol. 7 seats and has all the toys I could ever need. The seats even fold down to make a bed so that's next years NW200 sorted!

Plans are bullbars with spotlights, possibly ladder and expedition style roof rack/storage thing.
Want to spray the centre bumper bits matt black again as they're pitted/rusty.
Need some decent A/T tyres, probably BFG or Cooper and may get some steel modulars an all. Maybe a 2" lift an all when I convince her it's what she needs for visiting sites with her work :p
Bought a 2 digit reg at Wilsons yesterday so will stick that on and triple its value

When's the next Todds Leap outing, need to get it dirty?!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Couldn't resist, like a kid in a sweet shop

image.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Great choice. The v6 in these is as efficient as the diesel and more reliable. Gave one a good wrecking off road one day and it just loved the abuse lol

Next todds leap session is down to @karl7900

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything

Wait till it snows and you under steer into a ditch, I'll not be towing you out!

Great choice. The v6 in these is as efficient as the diesel and more reliable. Gave one a good wrecking off road one day and it just loved the abuse lol

Yeah, had looked at the 2.8td engined ones an all, but I much prefer a smooth petrol. For all the miles it'll be doing anyways it doesn't matter how thirsty it is.

Todds Leap looks good craic and would be a chance for me to explore how capable it is. Hopefully a day is organised that I can attend though might head up on my own before I go away again on Boxing Day, desperate to get off-roading in it lol

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Great looking wagon, V6 is lovely in them, tho thirsty. Always loved the 3.5 V6 in the Shogun EVO
Got my auld series 3 MOT'd again for this winter too, I'd be up for another day's wrecking at todds leap (so long as we stay off the quad tracks)

Jason

RMS Regular
Good looking jeep for the money, as said the petrol is probably doing the same mpg as diesel lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Great looking wagon, V6 is lovely in them, tho thirsty. Always loved the 3.5 V6 in the Shogun EVO
Got my auld series 3 MOT'd again for this winter too, I'd be up for another day's wrecking at todds leap (so long as we stay off the quad tracks)

Feel free to arrange something! I get my Jimny back on Sunday after the parentals borrowed it for 6+ months. Even got road tyres on a set of spare rims there to make it a bit more challenging lol

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Nice wagon saw it advertised. Won't give you any real bother either! Shaping up alright for a bit of snow alright this year (hopefully!)

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
You can't fill a V6 with red though ;)

True, but you also can't enjoy the sound of a clattery diesel, give me a big petrol any day :p

Tbh though for all the miles it'll be doing in a year I don't mind throwing a few tanks of petrol through it. And like I said, it's for the wife when I'm away so she can get out in the snow(hopefully) and up to sites etc, so she'll be the one paying to put fuel in it, not me!

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6

@Coog, I'll be in touch soon to see if I can get some pointers re contact info etc. Been thinking about Todd's Leap myself lately since I've sorted a spare set of 17" wheels for the Toerag, but completely overrun in work at the moment due to sorting out the borough xmas lights the last couple of months.

MINTER_GTR

RMS Regular
Drives
R34, 530i sport
looks nice in blue,had i realised the fuel economy on the derv was similar to the petrol then id have bought the petrol one also,got a 2.8td last week and its one noisy thirsty *******,still good jeeps for the money and we wont be stuck if it snows this year!

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Nice!

That interior brings back memories driving around in my dads SWB back in the day.

colin84

RMS Regular
Looks really clean from the pics. You don't see many that shape, but I suppose they have rusted away. My Granda has a SWB and it's rotten.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Definitely about time we hit Todds leap again!

Funny that, I've never got dipped in my life in all the cars I've driven yet my dad had had shoguns for many years and is continually getting dipped. Hence our shogun has only ever seen white!

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Needed some better tyres for taking it off road the odd time and after melting my head looking at all the different options went for a set of 31" Cooper STT tyres. Had them fitted to a set of 15x8 modular rims an all as the rims are only about £40 each.
Happy enough with the end result, I had planned on lifting the jeep 3" and fitting bigger tyres, but decided against it in the end. Should be more than capable of doing what I want it for anyway it is.
The guy wanted £80 to post the wheels/tyres over but I used senditnow and got them here for £48, great service (y)

I've also done the usual wee jobs like LED interior lights, LED dash and instrument lights in red, some aero twin wiper blades and Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited headlight bulbs.

Have a full service kit sitting here including plugs and leads, not sure when I'll get the chance to do that though. Also need to get the bull bars properly fitted as none of the holes line up and will need a good bit of welding now, which will have to wait til I get back at the end of January. Paperwork should also be back for putting the new reg on by then an all.

image.jpg

image.jpg

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Great looking truck!

What are the STTs like? Road noise?

I fancy a set when the times come

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.