Showing rust repair for MOT?

MIchaelB

RMS Member
My 93 Celica failed MOT last week for a hole in the sill. A previous owner had patched it with isopon and the tester put a screwdriver through it.

It's been cut out and a patch of steel welded in.

My question is do I need to leave it with the metal plate showing for the retest or can I go ahead and prime and paint it etc?

Thanks. M.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
My 93 Celica failed MOT last week for a hole in the sill. A previous owner had patched it with isopon and the tester put a screwdriver through it.

It's been cut out and a patch of steel welded in.

My question is do I need to leave it with the metal plate showing for the retest or can I go ahead and prime and paint it etc?

Thanks. M.
In the past I've always primed and painted and left as presentable as possible.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If they've seen and poked the hole, it would be best to leave the repair so they can see it.

Which is understandable, but silly in some respects as you'd want the repair fully complete, painted up sealed/rustproofed and invisible yourself as soon as possible.

Although a repair done very well should be almost invisible, or if entire sill was replaced etc etc

MIchaelB

RMS Member
OP
M
Didn't think they were allowed to use screwdrivers to poke around anymore.
That's what I thought as well. I thought the isopon was covering a repair. I had tapped it before but he must have really went at it. He also failed it for an oil leak which it doesn't have. I'll never take my car to Larne for an MOT again. A few people have told me to take it elsewhere in future.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
They aren’t but had one use a crow bar on an old 90 one time, I complained but what can you do when the whole is already there.

But as said above best to tidy the repair a bit but leave it exposed so they can see it, if its obvious where the repair is it stops them looking elsewhere as well.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Didn't think they were allowed to use screwdrivers to poke around anymore.

Are there not "special tools" they use for poking ? Probably like a screwdriver with a different name. A special MOT operation ?

Although let's face it, if it's full of holes and isopon.....not much argument.

MIchaelB

RMS Member
OP
M
Are there not "special tools" they use for poking ? Probably like a screwdriver with a different name. A special MOT operation ?

Would have needed done sooner or later anway. Just wish the rain would clear off so I can finish it. No chance of me tidying the garage.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR

Yeah they are meant to use a specific inspection tool, think its has a flat x-shaped front on it so it isn't pointy, cant really remember being outside these days