Smart Parking charge

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
So I received a “Smart Parking” (ironic) charge notice today in the post.

They said that I parked at 20:00 on one night and left at 10:00 the following morning.

The truth is that I parked at 20:00 and left after I would guess 30 minutes. I returned the next morning I would guess after 9am when the shops open and left at 10:00.

So seemingly these cameras don’t seem to have picked me up leaving on one evening, nor have they picked me up arriving the next morning.

Where do I go from here as I am not amused. I don’t want to ignore this.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
OP
Dervhead
Drives
SEAT
I don’t want to pay but I don’t like that they cherry pick when you enter and leave their car parks and then send you an incorrect parking charge notice.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
So I received a “Smart Parking” (ironic) charge notice today in the post.

They said that I parked at 20:00 on one night and left at 10:00 the following morning.

The truth is that I parked at 20:00 and left after I would guess 30 minutes. I returned the next morning I would guess after 9am when the shops open and left at 10:00.

So seemingly these cameras don’t seem to have picked me up leaving on one evening, nor have they picked me up arriving the next morning.

Where do I go from here as I am not amused. I don’t want to ignore this.

Happens all the time -same thing happened to me in starbucks connswater where i went twice in the one day and got a fine through the post that i had been there over max stay - threw it in the bin and this was 5-6 years ago lol maybe more

Got one recently in ballyhack m&s - literally in 5 minutes but for some reason the camera thought i was there a full day, bin, never heard there after.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
OP
Dervhead
Drives
SEAT
Well I appealed it yesterday (without giving any other information they could use against me). I’ll update the thread once I hear back.

Whatever their response, it will be binned.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don’t want to pay but I don’t like that they cherry pick when you enter and leave their car parks and then send you an incorrect parking charge notice.
Same thing happened to me at Donington services a few years ago. Stopped for fuel and lunch, and then again in the evening after we finished on track. Got a notice saying I'd been there all day, lol 😅

Either pay or ignore depending on what you feel is right, what hassle you want to put up with, etc.

Trying to appeal is a nightmare and they still expect you to pay while the appeal is happening, etc.

The whole thing is basically a scam...

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
The ONLY way this shower of sheite can get anywhere is when you acknowledge or appeal, that way you're admitting who was driving. They can only access the registered keepers details until that point and being the registered keeper means nothing.

They WILL hound you and it WILL get more costly as time goes on, you'll not be laughing then 🤣

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Well I appealed it yesterday (without giving any other information they could use against me). I’ll update the thread once I hear back.

Whatever their response, it will be binned.

responding to them, admitting you were there by responding....is information they can use against you.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
OP
Dervhead
Drives
SEAT
responding to them, admitting you were there by responding....is information they can use against you.
how does me respondping mean I admit I was there? If the car was for example stolen, responding and telling them that information wouldn’t be admitting I was there. I never once admitted I was there. A car like mine, bearing my registration, was there. They have that information already. I never said I was there. I responded and told them the times the car was there, that’s it.

I’m not going to be falsely accused. Bunch of cowboys.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
OP
Dervhead
Drives
SEAT
The ONLY way this shower of sheite can get anywhere is when you acknowledge or appeal, that way you're admitting who was driving. They can only access the registered keepers details until that point and being the registered keeper means nothing.

They WILL hound you and it WILL get more costly as time goes on, you'll not be laughing then 🤣

I guess we will see about that.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I don’t get what you’re saying here…
You wanted advice …but have now responded to them against that advice and now you’re also saying you want to fight it
I’m lost as to what you’re asking from people here …
As mentioned you have responded so they now know they have the correct current keeper and your current address as well as knowing it was you driving.
They can now legitimately start civil proceedings against you if that’s what they wanted.

Since you’ve started the ball rolling- keep us updated as to how your appeal goes …

DUB_MK3

RMS Regular
How do they know it was me driving?
My bebo law degree thinks you would have to submit that information if you are owner of the car. No matter what they are going to bust your balls for a while.

Check this thread

Airhead

RMS Regular
Got one of these a couple of weeks ago. Wife had parked my car in one of their carparks but put her own registration into the machine. Could have just ignored it but couldn't be bothered with a series of letters coming in over the next few weeks so just handed it over to Consumer Council for NI. Straightforward 'registered keeper wasn't driving' appeal. Case closed by Smart Parking the following day as they know there's no point pursuing if it's been referred to CCNI. Result!