Static mk7 Golf R

martymim

RMS Regular
Hi
Posting this thread to get a bit more in-depth look into my Golf R.
I previously had a mk7 GTI with airlift air suspension wasn’t a fan so with the R I had to go analog.

As usual the R was going to be left standard until a deal popped up on a Milltek catback and it was all downhill from there.
I’ve had the car a few years now and I’ve gone through a couple of different looks. From the accidental rally inspired look to the tried and tested Rotiform scene look.
I’d like to say currently I’m sat somewhere around a broken OEM+ look at the moment.

Below is a list of everything currently installed on the car, I’ll be talking about the different stages of ownership as I go.
Any questions ask away.

MK7 Golf R DSG - Tornado red
H&R DEEP 150mm Coilover suspension
Mucke wide wings
6Pot Brembo brakes - 390mm discs
BBS Speenlines 20x8.5 custom flat faces
TRC front splitter
TRC side skirt extensions

Milltek Turboback sports cat non-res valved system
Torquetronix Stage 2 - 400 BHP
Torquetronix DSG remap
034 motorsport dogbone mount
Volkswagen Racing r600 intake
Volkswagen Racing turbo elbow
Carbon fibre wing mirrors

Audi TTS Supersport seats
Alcantara wrapped steering wheel
Alcantara gear gator
Rear seat delete
Clubsport bar and net

Tint all round
Debadged
Kill all wipers - Wiper delete
Indicators as DRL
Smoothed front and rear bumper
Carbon fibre wing mirrors

Instagram - martymim

EB976E49-92EB-42B7-A40C-BB1711846E7D.jpeg

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Should bring it to Irish Nationals drag race event on Easter Monday at St.Angelos

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Maybe a silly question... but does it ride very harsh being that low and static? Also, I've always wondered do cars handle better or worse when sitting so low?

Love the choice of wheels btw, a big fan of anything BBS with lots of spokes :grinning:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Actually really like that ... some tasty mods!

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Looks well Anymore photos or videos?
Actually really like that ... some tasty mods!
Cheers, Ill add a few as I go, cant flood the thread with pictures just yet.
I have a couple of videos on my Instagram if you want to take a look.
IG: martymim

Should bring it to Irish Nationals drag race event on Easter Monday at St.Angelos

Defiantly tempted for this, if I could find a set of lightweight OZ with some sticky tyres ill be there.
Interested to see what the car will actually clock.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
@martymim just mess around with tyre pressures, no need for sticky tyres unless you are being 100% serious

I will check my times from when I was stage 2 but i think it was low 12s for the quarter mile, I am now 11.19s at Stage 3 on normal road tyres.

edit: 12.33 @ 112mph

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Maybe a silly question... but does it ride very harsh being that low and static? Also, I've always wondered do cars handle better or worse when sitting so low?

Love the choice of wheels btw, a big fan of anything BBS with lots of spokes :grinning:

No not silly at all, the coilovers im running are purpose built to go that low. In comparison to similar coilovers the ride is perfect, since the shock is so small my current ride height isnt far away from full height.
The ride is hard but it isn’t bouncy or harsh, the rebound eats the bumps quite well.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
No not silly at all, the coilovers im running are purpose built to go that low. In comparison to similar coilovers the ride is perfect, since the shock is so small my current ride height isnt far away from full height.
The ride is hard but it isn’t bouncy or harsh, the rebound eats the bumps quite well.

Appreciate the reply! You are one of many i've heard from who say the same thing - coilovers really don't ruin ride quality the way that some people claim. Also didn't realise there was such thing as 'deep' coilovers designed to go even lower. Definitely think a decent set of coilovers are something i'm going to have to look into very soon :grinning:

Reactions: Dan

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Spotted this in Omagh about 6 months back and actually stopped mid walk with the other half to take a photo lol

Beautiful car!

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
This was the first look, this was the ST’s maxes out all the way down.
The ride was very forgiving and not far from stock. Great coils for a daily.

ST X coilovers supplied by Blackline performance
OZ Superturismo GT 8J et48.
20mm & 13mm spacers IIRC
ED861486-8A10-4D4C-B273-3FBE35189B65.jpeg
AA563A1E-2512-4760-BF58-FC085D1C6A69.jpeg
0450895F-8344-4E19-8D91-0B0132D8D045.jpeg

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Some serious mods been done there .im going to go against the masses and say it’s way to low for me and think it looks far better in the photo were it’s higher .just my personal opinion but a seriously cool car .its just my age that’s me against ultra lows and my severe hatred for anything on Air lol.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Next look was the Rotorform.
The wide wings come up locally for a great deal in red. Then was the H&R Deep and Rotiform.

On the Rotiform I ran no camber at the front and a few degree at the rear.
E1412EDD-AE06-41C4-9D17-983B4193E3F0.jpeg
F184C5D1-9117-4A8D-96CE-A3408A6B132B.jpeg
D3B7ABCC-2FD0-4913-848E-664736E89DC8.jpeg
A9479A0A-29C7-4438-A650-EF06356A0DD5.jpeg

Did that reg used to be on a blue R32?
I got it from someone one in Essex? I believe it’s an old Derry plate. I have no idea of the history.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Some serious mods been done there .im going to go against the masses and say it’s way to low for me and think it looks far better in the photo were it’s higher .just my personal opinion but a seriously cool car .its just my age that’s me against ultra lows and my severe hatred for anything on Air lol.

Cheers man, different opinions are welcomed. I definitely understand it’s not for everyone it’s quite marmite.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Really really like this, lovely mods and sits so well on the speedlines. I miss being stupidly low sometimes.

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
I got it from someone one in Essex? I believe it’s an old Derry plate. I have no idea of the history.

Stunning golf.

The ‘ IUI‘ plate is 1997 Derry plate.
I have a few ‘IUI’ plates..

If you ever consider selling yours please let me know, I have one close to #32 on retention