Stretched Tyres - opinions?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

LewB

RMS Regular
Looking for recommendation on which tyre to go for?

Wheel is Ronal LS 15" x 7.5"

Currently running Nankang 185/45/15, stretch is ok, tyres are sh*t though

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Mr Bailie. Falken 912s are meant to be a good tyre, very quiet and not too expensive either. Im not sure what size you'd want in them tho.

Gold centres and polished dish would look the part. any pics of the lupo?

LewB

RMS Regular
OP
LewB
jonny moag? whataboutchee?

Tyrestretch.com - Image Library seems to be the answer;

Will there be much of a difference between the 45 / 50 width? or would it be safer to stick to the 185/45/15?

Less scrubbing the better, and its not bad for scrubbing with the tyres that are on it

LewB

RMS Regular
OP
LewB
here is the 165/50/15

dsc04161.jpg

dsc04153e.jpg

here is the 185/45/15

dsc05172fz9.jpg

Sharkey

RMS Regular
I have the 185/45 nankang on a 15'x 8" Rs and even at that i want more, Def goin for the 165/50 next.

The 50 profile actually has a thinner sidewall btw

LewB

RMS Regular
OP
LewB
yeh im also thinkin 165/50

im running the 185/45 on 7.5"

LewB

RMS Regular
OP
LewB
What are stretched tyres like on wet roads?

Nankangs were sh*t, slid all over the place

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
depends on tyres and camber and all that, if the tyres run even on the road should be alright depending on the tyres obv

Sharkey

RMS Regular
Had 195/45 Dunlops before the nankangs and hafta say they were 10x the tyre, but they were nearly 100 quid a corner more than the nankangs, Also wore out wayyyyy to fast for my liking, Nankangs are as hard as the road and made of plastic, so take a bitta camber well

I couldn't see there being a big difference in the way they handle on a wet road compared to a correctly sized tyre, Main difference is probably the fact there is less tyre surface area to contact the road compared to a 195, or 205.

Id go the 165/50 and see what happens

B T

RMS Regular
Drives
Colt CZT
i heard different tyres give different stretch, like nankangs give a stretch like a j shape and bridgestone and michellin give a nice smooth stretch

Nankang stretch
IMG_7129.jpg

Bridgestone stretch
Stretchedtyres.jpg

continental stretch
n1618800036_26707_78.jpg

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
The reason for the "j shape" stretch is cos of the lip protector. I have 195/45/14s on an 8 with and without a lip protector (both the same model of Falkens) and they were totally different. It's down to the type/features of the tyre not the make. The only difference make will make is some are will give more stretch as they are naturally narrower or wider.

LewB

RMS Regular
OP
LewB
What is the lip protector? is it on the tyre? did you remove it yourself?

See with Stretched tyres, ie 165/50/15 on 15 x 7.5" rims - is it really that dangerous to have? are they gonna come off if hard cornering etc?

LewB

RMS Regular
OP
LewB
165/50/15 tyres on a 15" x 7.5" Rim is gonna be way too much stretch i think for 'normal' driving

pickled out by this

What size tyre would you go for? dont want a tyre that looks to big, and car is low so smaller the better for less scrubbing.

185/45/15 have been fine in the past, should just stick with them?

DanN92

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2 Polo 16v
not at the moment as i am in university, will try and find a close up if there is any as the tyres are now on my winter wheels

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
I've 155/55s on a 7" rim and they give no bother. Even on a bit of a spirited drive they're 100% in the corners.

The lip protector is built into the tyres. it is supposed to sit passed the rim to stop you scuffing the lip. I didn't remove it, just couldn't get the same tyre with the lip protector next time.

I'll reply to your email now.

Connor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.