Subaru Impreza STI 330s

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Last of the bracing was a rear brace...wanted something this didn't interfere with boot space, found this kein 3pt brace which fits that requirement perfectly....had to take grinder to evap and pipe work shields, with wee bit of edging to keep it tidy looking...not that anyone would ever see it but i like things looking like they belong there...all fits nicely.

20230709_122915.jpg

20230709_132434.jpg

20230709_132947.jpg

20230709_133401.jpg

20230709_133720.jpg

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Next update...to bring it a bit more into modern age! Seen on US forums that for 2yrs foresters had dual digital ac control optional extra that is a straight swap into mine...so I set about finding the illusive rhd in centigrade version

Before

20230905_173746.jpg

After

20230905_175642.jpg

20230905_175704.jpg

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Nice! The dual zone is handy to keep the missus happy

I seen you on the way home today when you cut towards Dee Street, I frantically cycled to catch up but a black Peugeot cut me off. It sounded well

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That transforms the centre console - spotted you the other day as well at Knock crossroads and you were heading down Castlereagh - the no bonnet vent is such a giveaway :joy:

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Looks like a great run, who was the organiser?
was organised by ISDC (Irish Subaru Drivers Club) and Subaru Grand Tour, all very well run, and the visit to the Stables Motorsport Museum was insane - to see that level of metal in one place over here was mind blowing.

The owner of the museum kindly asks not to post pics of cars (mainly so not to ruin it for others who have never been and now i fully understand why) but if you google it youll get a good idea of whats on display from previous articles on its opening

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
was organised by ISDC (Irish Subaru Drivers Club) and Subaru Grand Tour, all very well run, and the visit to the Stables Motorsport Museum was insane - to see that level of metal in one place over here was mind blowing.

The owner of the museum kindly asks not to post pics of cars (mainly so not to ruin it for others who have never been and now i fully understand why) but if you google it youll get a good idea of whats on display from previous articles on its opening

Thanks, I'll give them a follow and might join a future run

SoobyDoobyDo

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy gt
From one Scoobie owner to another, lovely car! Would love to have those seats in mine…that looks like it would have been a great time, esp following that GC8 impreza. I’ve always been a sucker for those…

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Minor updates.....
Finally got the turbo exhaust housing fitted. The existing one was a hybrid of a td series modded to fit gt30...made by scoobyclinic way back in the day...way back in the day before Arashi started making cast one piece items!

Hybrid which has stitch welded securing ring...and alway give grief as will always crack due to heat cycles as seen here and leaking 😳

20240206_113427.jpg
20240206_113409.jpg
20240206_113330.jpg

Nice new cast one piece item all in fitted

20230728_115506.jpg

20230728_115443.jpg

received_1481181162441463.jpeg

Also got rear subframe bushes done (x4) to stop the rear end float on heavy cornering

received_936034827952566.jpeg

Put a forge recirc on it that I had lying

20240206_112946.jpg

Be interesting now to see what flow difference is between old & new housings

and then last piece of puzzle (for now) is fit the 3" hard intake pipe to replace the scabby looking 2.75" looking one - but cant do that until the map is checked tweaked for the new exhaust housing

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Be interesting now to see what flow difference is between old & new housings

Answer is huge difference....got hold of @bludgod to check/tweak map. Old housing really had been the cause of all sorts of grief it appears, mainly my apparent lean running on high boost wasn't actually lean running at all, it had been pulling fresh air into exhaust through that crack by looks of it and sending his wideband awry

Onwards now to replacing the scabby intake pipe with its nice new 3inch job :grinning: and more mappery goodness

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Holy ****! That's an incredible difference. What turbo?
its a Garrett gt3071r but its a hybrid done by scoobyclinic many moons ago using TD-05/06 housings. i then put the latest revision GT3071r core/CHRA in it and now new exhaust housing, also had the compressor housing cut and welded for DBW ....so its a bit like triggers broom in replacing/upgrading it. Still says scoobyclinic on the compressor housing though

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I'm considering the GT3071r myself, but I'm trying to stay Twinscroll and the options are very limited. What's the difference in DBC and DBW? I wouldn't have thought that would change the turbo at all.

Out of curiosity. what happened with the below? (So I don't repeat it!)

Re-read the whole thread again! Love this car

Not much been happening bar destroying a turbo core by my own stupidity...expensive lesson :worried:

The cheap Tial copy dumpvalve was part of the reason the turbo got wrecked so been on look out for something a bit better....Forge item fits the bill. Piston type with no diaphragm (y)

It's not a recirc tho so not sure if it'll sound a bit too chavy :worried:

View attachment 202692

LOL that happened to me once before when I topped oil up on my car - mind was elsewhere and somehow I forgot to put the cap back on. Was heading into work, booted it from a ramp then noticed this huge plume of smoke out the back - shiit myself thinking the turbo had gone! Opened the bonnet and the mess I was greeted with will be forever burned in my mind! Like an oil murder scene lol

Needless to say the car was fine, later on I raced at St Angelos and did an 11s quarter mile :joy:

I done that on my motorbike. Wondered why there was hot air blowing on my leg and thought I had an exhaust blow, then seen oil spits coming out!

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
DBW is just Drive By Wire throttle, (DBC drive by cable) if you look at turbo fitted pic above you'll see where compressor cover nose has been cut & welded back at an angle, to clear the DBW assembly, on cable cars they are just straight.

Out of curiosity. what happened with the below? (So I don't repeat it!)

when i fitted the cheap Tial recirc dump valve i nipped the rubber seal....this small piece of rubber seal then got ingested back into the intake and done this.... hard to believe

whistler.jpg

bludgod

RMS Regular
Drives
STI
I'm considering the GT3071r myself, but I'm trying to stay Twinscroll and the options are very limited.

if you're looking a good twinscroll option the RCM precision turbo now comes in a twinscroll setup as well!