Talbot Samba Rallye. Now even more pics on page 3!

FAKER

RMS Regular
OP
FAKER
Drives
loadsa stuff
Your putting stripes on it when you see it in the flesh!!

simon

RMS Regular
Drives
320D / 205 GTi
don't know how to quote but...

Siobhan sold the car to a chap who lived across the road from where i live now; he binned it shortly afterwards and I bought the wreck for the cage/suspension/sumpguard/tankguard/seats etc to put in the car Liam has now. Shell was cut up with an angle grinder. That must have been in around 1989/90.

Liam - just sent you some pics on Facebook.

FAKER

RMS Regular
OP
FAKER
Drives
loadsa stuff
don't know how to quote but...

Siobhan sold the car to a chap who lived across the road from where i live now; he binned it shortly afterwards and I bought the wreck for the cage/suspension/sumpguard/tankguard/seats etc to put in the car Liam has now. Shell was cut up with an angle grinder. That must have been in around 1989/90.

Liam - just sent you some pics on Facebook.
It's a small world! Simon I got the pics, thank you. I'll be looking you up in a wee while.

Last edited:

FAKER

RMS Regular
OP
FAKER
Drives
loadsa stuff
306a6494-e9aa-4678-95e3-8d3eb1f2eb77_zps9f54b979.jpg

23669e1f-630c-455a-a652-c80e9c2f1074_zpseb773064.jpg

image_zps43087902.jpg

image_zps16c5c2ae.jpg

Last edited:

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
That looks great. The Co Down 3 digit reg finishes it nicely. It be good to get a pic of it with my golf sometime.

BIGDAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
audi a7
I will have her back to her former glory very soon lol. We still on for Thursday ??

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Great, I didn't realise the car had been a Motorsport wagon for so long! Is the 1st pic at craigantlet or croft hillclimb? Good lean on her.

What year is that uij plate from? I've PIJ 448 I'll be resurrecting on a car soon! :grinning:

FAKER

RMS Regular
OP
FAKER
Drives
loadsa stuff
Great, I didn't realise the car had been a Motorsport wagon for so long! Is the 1st pic at craigantlet or croft hillclimb? Good lean on her.
What year is that uij plate from? I've PIJ 448 I'll be resurrecting on a car soon! :grinning:
Yeah it looks like croft. UIJ is 1984, PIJ was '82.

FAKER

RMS Regular
OP
FAKER
Drives
loadsa stuff
Yup thats the first left hander on croft.

Www.rallypics.org may well have some images online from old events and indeed there is a chance id have some of it from quarry sprinta in the early zeros
That would be fantastic if you did have snaps graham! I would of course cross you palm with the queens english sir.

simon

RMS Regular
Drives
320D / 205 GTi
I bought the car from whatever the Peugeot dealer on Boucher Road was in October 1988. It had one previous owner - E. Rice & Co. Accountants, 8 Cromac Street Belfast and I think that pic from Croft was 1990. I sold it to a friend Gary Elliott in about 1993. He used it at Bishopscourt that year and as his heart ws really in Minis he sold it on to someone in Cavan after about a year I think. I went on to buy an ex-Mike Little / Robin Lyons 1235cc Samba (MJI xxxx ?) which I sold after a couple of years as I worried about spares (esp. gearbox). Sold it to Drew! This was before the internet really took off and today I guess it's possible to get stuff from France or arrange small production runs through forums.

FAKER

RMS Regular
OP
FAKER
Drives
loadsa stuff
Good god Simon that is a blast from the past, Bairds on the Boucher Road. Drew is the man. Without him this car wouldn't have been built.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Yup thats the first left hander on croft.

Www.rallypics.org may well have some images online from old events and indeed there is a chance id have some of it from quarry sprinta in the early zeros

Also looks like the corner at the end of the straight at craigantlet? 1st corner at croft was my 1st thought!

Edit- do any if you guys know Alan gillis? He has 3x fully restored lovely motorsport sambas.

Last edited:

simon

RMS Regular
Drives
320D / 205 GTi
Only seen one of Alan's Sambas but one of the best prepared cars of any sort I've seen.
Definitely Croft, somewhere between 90-92. Same gate this year:
080607-9034-1.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I was speaking to Alan's dad john at an auction 6months ago, he says he is building a fairly special one at the moment.

Did you used to compete simon?

simon

RMS Regular
Drives
320D / 205 GTi
Lorenzo, the red Samba and the 205 at Croft are me. Competing in hillclimbs every year since 2000 - rallies got too expensive (even in a Samba!)
Wonder what the special Samba is? There was a guy near Castlederg (again around 1990) built a 1440cc one and i think it had the Group B bodywork and wider subframe and rear arms. Could be connected?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Lorenzo, the red Samba and the 205 at Croft are me. Competing in hillclimbs every year since 2000 - rallies got too expensive (even in a Samba!)
Wonder what the special Samba is? There was a guy near Castlederg (again around 1990) built a 1440cc one and i think it had the Group B bodywork and wider subframe and rear arms. Could be connected?

Funny I did every round of the hillclimb and sprint championship for 5years from 2002 on in my crossle formula ford.

I don't really know sambas too well so I wasn't too clued in to ask, but he did say that it was an expensive and fairly trick engine that was going into it. I think they are based around mid ulster - magherafelt or dungannon direction.

FAKER

RMS Regular
OP
FAKER
Drives
loadsa stuff
I know the gillis family's sambas well. They are superb. One is a lightweight car and the other is a full group b wide arched/wide track car. They owned a group a car years ago but only have the two now.