The First All Ireland Aircooled Drag Day!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

56oval

RMS Regular
After a few months of back and forth with the guys at bishopscourt, we have a date set for the first ever aircooled drag event, plus an H2O invitational.

Sunday 25th August.

Within to weeks of the announcement i had 30 + booked and paid to race, T2D have stepped up with goodies for the racers, Ultra VW are donating a years subscription to a lucky winner, Cool Flo Vintage have thrown goodies into the pot, VW Hetitage have put together some goody bags for the race winners, Elite Motor Performance are supporting this event by holding a club dyno day on the saturday before, Eircooled are oragnising the bbq and show and shine, Carbs N Chrome, the tyre centre Athlone, Lazy days Campers have all chipped into the pot, Bugwelder Germany have also stepped up.

One of the biggest names in VW coachtrimming in the uk has stepped up and my good freinds Louis and Bernard Newbury are handmaking/stitching a unique bowling pin trophy for the event ( those who know hot rodding and drag history will get the connection)
Partially finished!
photocopy_zps4e72b778.jpg

plus one of Bernies own 9 sec beetle "Stitch Up" tee shirts
580417_438907516195167_1353980416_n_zpsd37a7163.jpg

Also supporting is the biggest flat four racing series in the uk, The Outlaw Flat Four, these guys run anything from the minimum 12.99 right down to 9 zero's on the quarter and to get one of their tee's on board is awesome, these boys dont give them away to anyone.
tshirt2.jpg

We have put a car together in two weeks for a bt of fun, scrapings off the workshop floor, 1835cc modified 1300 heads, this is what the event is all about, folk turning up with anything and everything from mild to wild, from stock to rock!!!

Certificates for EVERY racer are printed.

photocopy2_zps89c76afc.jpg

Stickers are printed

draglogo4_zps5ff8aade.jpg

A one off run of brushed aluminium dash plaques and tee shirts are also in progress.

The Watercooled guys have turned up en force, Mick Cruschell is driving all the way from co. cork with his N2O injected 12 second mk1 golf
68805_334202846711837_361490381_n_zpsfa6297d6.jpg

Dave Clarke is bringing his 550 bhp v6 turbo mk2 golf with haldex 4wd
amongst a host of other watercooled invitational entries.

Its shaping up to be an awesome weekend, drag entries are FULL, there is no show n shine for newer vehicles only aircooled and special invites, THIS IS NOT A CAR SHOW!. But a drag event with a collection of aircooled and early watercooled from across Ireland, which also includes the t4 forum.Spectators on the gate £10 We would love to see you there.

Last edited:

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
WE ARE FULL!!!!

55 cars booked to race, entry list is now closed. Spectators on the gate only now £10 entry.

More goodies for our racers have landed.

Cool Flo Vintage have sent some merchandise to give away

coolflo_zpsbfdc8d81.jpg

And i have an extremely limited run of magnetic dash plaques made just for the racers.

photocopy3_zps6a6f8177.jpg

All in all its shaping up to be an awesome day.

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
One more sleepless night then its all systems go, 55 vehicles booked and driving the length and breadth of Ireland, dyno day at Elite tomorrow then its head to the track for some prep for sunday.
People have built some interesting stuff just to get there, the projects, the engines, theyve gone all out nuts to be part of it.

colin seized his turbo motor yesterday on break in, pulled it out, headed for the border, had it stripped and rebuilt and was heading back south by 7pm, DEDICATION!!!!!! or insanity lol.

995956_10151519935831644_731347480_n_zps2215811f.jpg

The racecar is prepped, the support van is ready, one more day of final prep then its game on!

1233466_10151548953111644_1002541690_n_zps1275281f.jpg

More awesome goodies this time from 2TD arrived yesterday for a few of our lucky winners.

1185931_10151548839421644_252530533_n_zpsda291a5a.jpg

everyone whos racing gets a complimentary can, unless i drink them all before hand LOL
545865_10151547842641644_785339593_n_zps4424ad34.jpg

tj hooker

RMS Regular
Drives
evo 8
I HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU BEN....I WILL TRY TO GET A RUN DOWN TO WATCH ALL THE ACTION...GOOD LUCK.......T.J.

rosssei

RMS Regular
Cannot wait to get down to this tomorrow. Anyone give semi decent directions about what way to come? Ill be heading from Comber direction.

rosssei

RMS Regular
Great day out! Massive congratulations to Ben @56oval who put together and organised the day!

Ben also topped the day off with a 12.4 second 1/4 mile!

Full report to follow on GotLowz!

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
What a day great cars and great craic. Thanks to Ben and the boys for running a superb event.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
It was either this or the BMW show with GTINI, hopefully I can get to both next year as this looked awesome from the pictures I've seen so far.

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
Thanks for all the comments, im just in through the door, Stevie turned up with his Granada, and to be fair, i did give him a hard time :oops: but what would you do when you have a 10 second granada and 9 second legacy sitting at the gate with a full entry list???

Needless to say they both added a great dimension to the day and i will happily have them both back next year (IF) it happens.

Awesome day, blown away by the dedication of people to just get to the event from all over ireland, some from as far away as co kerry. Ill fill you in with the details after i have a few days sleep!!!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Fantastic day out. Great to see so many classics being given death without having to trek round the country after them.

Only downside - no corners :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Thanks for all the comments, im just in through the door, Stevie turned up with his Granada, and to be fair, i did give him a hard time :oops: but what would you do when you have a 10 second granada and 9 second legacy sitting at the gate with a full entry list???

Needless to say they both added a great dimension to the day and i will happily have them both back next year (IF) it happens.

Awesome day, blown away by the dedication of people to just get to the event from all over ireland, some from as far away as co kerry. Ill fill you in with the details after i have a few days sleep!!!

Haha, no worries. We never arrived expecting to run, just hoping after being unable to get a reply from Wayne. So Thanks for letting us run at short notice.

Was very surprised at the turnout, great event and some great and unusual cars. Even more impressed at how many of them were actually taking part racing too which was great to see. Even the huge camper van had a go !
Definitely well organised and run by Ben, Wayne and crew. And the most unbelievable part, a warm sunny dry day !

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
The Bungalow was awesome!!!!

Some tune being played by the big Granada @stevieturbo. Nowt wrong with how that Legacy pulls either.

I threw a pair of thermals on in the morning expecting it to be a typical day at Bishopscourt - regretted that fairly early on as the sweat was lashing off me.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Passed a right few Beetles and Campers yesterday evening when I was heading to Dublin, so knew it must have been a good day.

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
A few vids from what was an EPIC day.

Dave Clarkes genuine 300bhp g60 golf vs my good fiend dave in his beetle.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.