The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
me or you ? :party:
Actually that said, mine came with a comprehensive armful of paper history, with bmw that actually means eff all.

Same here. All of mine did lol. It appears to be mostly down to luck as to whether the wee things break or not.

When its all working its a great car though. Past few weeks have been fantastic and even got it round the peninsula for a decent/clear run recently. Turn in and grip is great. Not quite a 350z on a dry road but not a million miles away and certainly decent enough for a luxo-barge spec runabout with towbar.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Our 330 let us down for the first time last week, top rad hose wore itself in a hole. Apart from regular maintenance its the only thing to give bother in near 40k miles.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Quick question;

In the event that both the keyfobs stop working is there a mechanical option to get in to the car? (aside from smashing the window)
I don't see any keyholes on the door handles, are they hidden behind a bit of trim?

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Lads, are any of you running spacers?
Would 20mm all round lowered on Eibach springs and MV1s rub? I have some of the rear arch lip already removed (some of it basically fell off lol) so it resembles this;

_] rather than this \_] (Apologies for the poor drawing!)

Id prefer 20mm as I can bolt them to the hub and not have to use longer bolts, seems safer in my eyes.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've spacers there but not got round to fitting them. Are you ever in Belfast? We could try one on if you are.

You could always mock a 20mm spacer up with a few extra big nuts and try a stationery fit before buying them?

As an aside mine is going the very best... For now lol

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Aye mine isn't going too bad either but that be more to do with the fact my wife has been driving it and doesn't ever hear/feel anything wrong with it. Still haven't got round to fixing the wheel speed sensor.
Il maybe try a few washers to build up the 20mm as id rarely be in Belfast with the car, thanks for the offer though.
Where did you get the spacers and are they the bolt on type or just the normal bolt through type?

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Rear wheel speed sensor.
Do I go for a genuine Febi made one - £50
Or an ebay special - £15?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There's cheaper than £15 ones, I got one for about a fiver lol seems OK quality but never fitted it. Don't forget there is two different types. Blue and grey plug versions.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Finally got around to getting my seriously ropey engine mount sorted ... the old one had all but broken in half thanks to wear, heat from the exhaust manifold and turns out I also had a small leak of diesel from the run off pipe which was also hitting the mount and drying the rubber out more. Also had a completely BLACK air filter again thanks to the diesel leak in the engine bay (n)

All sorted now to the tune of £190 which IMO was reasonable enough?

Next job is to get it serviced as its well overdue ... Might do this myself now that the fiddly bit (air filter) is done.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Looking at £96.44 for oil, oil filter and fuel filter for a full service from Euro Car Parts - does this seem reasonable give its a 6cylinder? Needs around 6.5/7litres I think??

Castrol Edge 5w30

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Does it really need castrol edge? That seems quite expensive but I'm guessing the majority is the price of the oil!

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Looking at £96.44 for oil, oil filter and fuel filter for a full service from Euro Car Parts - does this seem reasonable give its a 6cylinder? Needs around 6.5/7litres I think??

Castrol Edge 5w30

Sounds fair if you're using castrol edge. Try changing the coolant, the drift car took about 8/9 litres iirc lol

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Trying to fix my permanent airbag light. Doesn't appear to be the normal passenger seat occupancy problem. Any ideas lads, don't think the airbags have ever went off....
uploadfromtaptalk1430513782236.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430513803010.jpg

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Also i fitted two new parking sensors so all 4 now work, verified by watching the sensors on the laptop as i reversed up to a wall.
However im not getting the warning beep. Any ideas?
Warning beep does play through the speakers during a test.
**** i hate modern cars!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7

Castrol Edge 5w30

A great oil I used to use in the 325 E46 was Genuine 5W30 GM Dexos 2 Longlife oil.
Its BMW LL04 rated and is cheap as chips around £20-22 for 5 litres.
Lots on BMW forums use it too.
You can buy on ebay or prob handiest straight from Vauxhall.

Combined with some Mahle filters would be bang on for little monies! (y)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5w-30-GEN...YN-ENGINE-MOTOR-OIL-5L-DEXOS-2-/161189048151?

$(KGrHqVHJEgFCjecK7fnBQpg+JnF2w~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Take it you've checked the wiring at the pretensioner and at the side airbag? Also check the loom going through to the door for breakages.
Didn't get a chance there tonight but il get a wee look tomorrow morning

gribby1

RMS Regular
Drives
vauxhall vectra
Also have a permanent airbag light on have bypassed the passenger seat mat now getting code control nit fault ad converter

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Handbrake adjusted this morning. They are a fairly easy motor to work on - 15 mins had it done.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Handbrake adjusted this morning. They are a fairly easy motor to work on - 15 mins had it done.
They would need to be easy worked on lol

No wiring harness issues with the drivers side airbag. Any other ideas?