Trackskills 21st June... Who's going?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gsportcars

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus ISupra
I have just got the e-mail from Donal to say I am booked for this date. Being my first proper track day I am now already getting nervous and panicking about preperation for the day LOL+o(.
To add to this I am using the Lexus which I have yet to drive in anger cos it is only just run in and mapped.

So far, from reading through old threads with advice and reading the trackskills website I have come up with the following....

Tyres... ok as I already have a spare set of track wheels and tyres in the garage.

Brakes... Need new front discs as the current (new) ones are warped so heavy braking from speed is harsh. Pads are practically new. Running LS400 4 pots too which "should" be up to the job.
New brake fluid all round and fully bled.

New gearbox oil, engine oil and filter to be done before the day.

Rear seats and boot to be stripped out before the day.

I also want to borrow my brothers recaro front seat with harness or at least just the harness as the lexus sofas aren't the most supportive in the world and I don't want to be hanging onto the steering wheel all day.

Can anybody think of anything I have overlooked or may want to consider. I will be taking it quite easy intitially at least until I get some confidence in the car and more importantly myself so don't be laughing if I'm driving like a granny lol:relieved:.

Also where is the closest garage that does super? I'll have a 20l jerry can with me and a full tank but I highly suspect I will need more than that if the car lasts.
Hope to meet some members on the day as I haven't really been to any/many meets etc since getting the car running.

Gav.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Get plenty of spirited driving in before the date to sort out any teething problems. A conversion like that isn't likely to just "work" lol

Make sure your cooling system is 100%.

pablo

RMS Moderator
ok mate, main thing go at your own pace. youll be passing most stuff on the straights but some cars will be all over you in the corners. just drive at your own level they will overtake when safe to do so dont let it phaze you.

tyres, good tyres are a must, not just good tread but a good brand. cheap tyres will ruin your day.

stripping the seats/boot - I wouldnt bother tbh. First day out and you arent racing. Wont make a blind bit of difference at your power levels.

brakes - bring a spare set of pads even if they are cheapo ones to get you home should you do a set in.

id get another jerry can and bring 2. Personally I dont like to run over half a tank on track so keep her topped up from a jerry can.

just have fun man thats the aim of the game

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Bring the full tool kit, a 5 gallon drum of water, spare hose clamps, cable ties, electrical tape, spare wheel nuts, plenty of kitchen roll (or similar) to keep the windows and mirrors clean in case its messy out there and make sure your battery is well strapped down.

There's plenty more to remember/bring, but thats all i can think of at the minute.

pablo

RMS Moderator
dont worry about water, plenty of taps down there.

cableties are a must lol, usually end up saving the day for someone.

best one was a lad coming into the canteen and asking for an empty bean tin to fix his exhaust lol.

gsportcars

RMS Regular
OP
gsportcars
Drives
Lexus ISupra
Just a few things to consider then lol.

I have been gradually giving the car some more abuse but my main problem is that my licence is too important to me to loose it from messing about on the road so I try my best not to. No licence = no job for me.

The tyres on the tracks wheels are not anything special but they are good tyres. Can't remember the brand but I'll check later.

Can get another set of pads with the new discs no probs and should be able to pick up another jerry can too.

As for tools and bits I have all that here anyway so not a problem.

Cheers, expensive enough this tracking business....

pablo

RMS Moderator
no need to go 100% use the day as a good shakedown day and get to know the car. no prizes for being a hero and packing up for home at lunchtime.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Can't make this one as I'm in Scotland, and will be missing the one in July too, argh! Roll on August :relieved:

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
might be there myself depending if i get out to nuts corner the day before or not, meaning i might not have any tyres left if i do,
would like to take the new motor a skelp round kirky, to see what it's like

RoniN

RMS Regular
best one was a lad coming into the canteen and asking for an empty bean tin to fix his exhaust lol.

LOL that was me and it was campbells chicken soup!!!

Wasn't for my car but for ricks purple golf, he snapped the centre pipe in two jumping over the kerbs at the chicane following me.
Would of been the end of his day after the 1st session without my idea to fix the exhaust with a tin can and 2 jubilee clips, he did 6 more sessions with the tin can holding his exhaust together before it broke again and we fixed it again with another campbells soup tin to get him home.

Gav don't be afraid to ask anyone for help or to borrow tools, jack, axle stands if you need we're all a friendly bunch and will gladly help out.

Cheers

pablo

RMS Moderator
pmsl just as well I didnt say "some knobend...." :p

yeah nice friendly bunch. There is an older guy there (50s) Ive never seen him in a car but he is first to lend a hand etc.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
I'll be there with the other 2 guys..... But one will be in a R26.R....!

Can't remember if i'm booked off work for this but would love to see the megane, everyone seems to say these things are the ultimate track hatch!!

Astroid

RMS Regular
Drives
Rb5 and c4
Don't forget to have dot5 fluid mate as anything lower will cook in 3 sessions. As said above have a jerry can you wouldn't belive how much fuel you'd use.

RoniN

RMS Regular
Well we all drive cars abit older than most and they need abit of tlc to keep them on the track!!

That old guy will probably be Jamesy's (red mk2 golf) dad, nice fella and good mechanic will always lend a hand as you say.

Cheers

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
lol and to think when i did mine i changed the engine oil, but ds2500 pads in and took myself, my mate and my car down!

but then, i was in a honda...they dont break :p

gsportcars

RMS Regular
OP
gsportcars
Drives
Lexus ISupra
Ok, Dot 5 then. running dot 4 at the minute.
My brother is now going too in his glanza so between us we should be able to bring all the spares and bits we need.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Hi mate, from what I can see don't just go by the DOT value on the fluid - the temperature ratings seem to be more important. I'm looking into good quality fluid at the moment and Castrol SRF and Motul RBF fluids seem to be getting the best reviews, they are only DOT4 yet exceed DOT5.1 specification.

Also, just FYI, DOT5 is silicon based and won't mix with your DOT4 - go for DOT4 or DOT5.1 instead as this will mix with your current fluid and can be flushed through without draining the system.

As for spares, you don't need too much. I normally bring 1x spare wheel, jack, wheel brace, full top chest of tools, cable ties and duck tape, that's about it!

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
i dont think ill be ready for this either in the scooby. I am planning on running on standard ecu setup but would like a RR check first. Seats still need ordered, bits still need fitted.might go down to watch for a few hours.

gsportcars

RMS Regular
OP
gsportcars
Drives
Lexus ISupra
I'll see if i can pick up some brake fluid today then. Really don't want to drain the system as it was a nightmare to bleed the last time.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
be nice to see your lexus going around the track. yea just make sure good fluid is being used and ensure exhaust system is well secured on as some kerbs could bounce the car a bit and throw it off and i know yours was custom and you dont want it broken.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
That must be why my exhaust is all wonky then :party:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Might do the Mondello VIP one on 26/6 instead, not decided yet. Or both :p

Can anybody think of anything I have overlooked or may want to consider. I will be taking it quite easy intitially at least until I get some confidence in the car and more importantly myself so don't be laughing if I'm driving like a granny lol:relieved:.

Also where is the closest garage that does super?

No worries, nobody will laugh. Just see how you get on and take it from there. And ask anyone at the track, all in the same boat (y)

You said the most important thing - just go at your own pace, let others by if they catch up, and have fun.

A trackday is really an endurance event, ~150 miles is pretty normal. A lot of people turn up, go flat out for the first couple of sessions, and then limp home by lunch time with broken this that or something else, worn out tyres/pads, etc. The afternoons are always really quiet, had the track almost to myself from 3pm onwards last time.

The only thing I would do is scrap the cheap pads, especially if you are getting new discs anyway. Get a set of Ferodo DS2500, you will not regret it. Cheap pads are no fun on track.

DOT4 fluid will be fine.

As for fuel, nearest super is in N'Ards, so bring jerry cans. The Elise makes do with a full tank plus 10l (50l in total), the Audi uses a full tank plus 20l (80l in total), for a full track day plus getting there and back again. So for you, probably a full tank plus 2x20l jerry cans.

gsportcars

RMS Regular
OP
gsportcars
Drives
Lexus ISupra
Got Motul RBF already ordered so may as well use it anyway.

As for the pads I was going to go with Mintex fast road type pads. I have heard good things about them on Lexusownersclub when those guys go to the track.
Where is the best place to buy the ferodo stuff? Being that I need pads for an LS400 they may not be listed as a performance item lol.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.