Trackskills 8th October 2023

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
So nobody really bothers with insurance then? Just wondering if you prang barriers or say you have a bump with someone else it could get a bit messy 😬. I take it there’s track rules and it’s not like a race as such.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Personally I've always assumed I would be liable to damage to my car regardless of fault. It's the risk of doing a track day. I accept that and if someone wrecks my car then it is what it is.

I don't know if that reflects the attitude of others though and my total £££ risk is a lot less than someone throwing a GT3 round the track, for example.

What I would say is that trackskills is very well run and anyone driving dangerously would soon be pulled / excluded. For all the years I've been doing track days at Kirkistown and elsewhere with a variety of organisations I've never been in what I would consider to be a dangerous situation, never mind a close call or actual crash. I think if you've got the timer on the dashboard and are flashing folk out of the way, getting on like you're Jenson Button, thinking you're an absolute pilot and are out to empty everyone, etc you've much more chance of having a bad day than someone else out to just have a bit of fun, exploring the car.

Ben P

RMS Regular
OP
Ben P
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Certainly risk involved lol.

Screenshot_20231006_133705_Chrome.jpg

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It sounds well run then, I just know that there can be people who get behind the wheel, pull a helmet on and think they are Lewis Hamilton, I’ve seen a few hairy moments at the likes of Bishopscourt. I’d be wanting to see what my car is all about on a track so certainly wouldn’t be acting the hero. It’s not a car I can afford to prang either.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I took out track insurance when I did 2 track days in my ST, purely to cover my own pocket as it was my only car and my everyday car. From memory it was £100 or so, and the excess doubled, but there was no set requirement for it.

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
I think my insurance charged £100 to cover for a trackday but the access was 2k and I’m sure the premium would also be affected a good amount from claiming… but if you had a 30k road car and wanted some peace of mind it would be worth it

When you drive on track you enter at your own risk but driving in a wide open track with everyone going the same direction is a lot safer/ less risk than driving fast on the road.

Trackskills do a very good job keeping on top of anyone ignoring the rules, no racing, move over and let the faster car pass etc and I can’t remember there being any car to car contact on a trackday.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
My engine light came on as I pulled into the carpark. Hoping somebody has a code reader lol

I went with that e10 plus and just hoping it's super 🤞

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
Great meeting folks today and such a great atmosphere about the place.

That was my first track day and my first real shakedown of the 350z. It was very interesting learning experience, I know brakes are mentioned a million times on the trackskills website, but getting some first hand experience with it was an eye opener and I'm back at home looking at a few upgrades now.

Running Red Stuff pads up front and just regular everyday basic pads on the rear, I ended up having the pedal hit the floor on the final lap of the first session. Coming up to the chicane I already knew my brakes were spongey, but they were completely gone as I tried slowing for the hairpin. A bit ropey, but Managed to get slowed down and into the pits for a good big cool off.

Thanks to everybody for the help with my unexpected puncture too, that made for an interesting drive home.

CurtisG

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Great meeting everyone today and had a brilliant time!

Being my first time ever on track the initial lap in a 520d was a shock to the system which left me and my best mate terrified. Watching the first sessions only made the nerves worse with what looked to be some very quick and loud cars.

By the end we were hooked and ended up running till the end of the day with me managing to get a few laps in at 1min12 pace. Honestly a day I’ll long remember as my favourite in a car.

Biggest takeaway is to upgrade my breaks and a better break fluid but despite my fear the stock pads held up all day even if slightly spongey. Already ordered a more suitable pair for the front.

Pleasure meeting everyone and thanks for making me and Scott feel welcome. Was a brilliant time and I will definitely be back for another go! Anyone thinking of giving it a go just get stuck in.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 0

Ben P

RMS Regular
OP
Ben P
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Great meeting everyone today and had a brilliant time!

Being my first time ever on track the initial lap in a 520d was a shock to the system which left me and my best mate terrified. Watching the first sessions only made the nerves worse with what looked to be some very quick and loud cars.

By the end we were hooked and ended up running till the end of the day with me managing to get a few laps in at 1min12 pace. Honestly a day I’ll long remember as my favourite in a car.

Biggest takeaway is to upgrade my breaks and a better break fluid but despite my fear the stock pads held up all day even if slightly spongey. Already ordered a more suitable pair for the front.

Pleasure meeting everyone and thanks for making me and Scott feel welcome. Was a brilliant time and I will definitely be back for another go! Anyone thinking of giving it a go just get stuck in.

From being a total novice to you and @G24NTR being the last two cars on track, fair play! Id say you have the bug now alright!

AC

RMS Regular
Weather was great and some quick stuff out today. The chap in the X5 was in full send mode, was great to watch.

My day ended at lunch time unfortunately as one of the cam caps decided to pop off with some oil finding it’s way on to the exhaust and sending plumes of smoke over @Ben P 😂. Easy and cheap fix but not something I keep in the spares drawer. Shame too as I was enjoying the tussle!

IMG_1224.jpeg

Ben P

RMS Regular
OP
Ben P
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Was a class we scrap mate.
Got sick of you on my bumper so let you by then enjoyed sitting on yours lol.

Saw these on facebook @AC
He only took a few, I've messaged to see if he took anymore.

FB_IMG_1696846826734.jpg

FB_IMG_1696846813291.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Looked a great day!

Saw plenty of vids of the white APR Golf R going round by a mate and his wife