trackskills noise limits

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

scub

Banned
was thinking about doing a few track days this year , but i see trackskills are now limited to 95 db.
anyone know if a 2.3 evo with a very loud blitz nurspec will pass that ,
to save wasting my time going up just to be told to take a hike:oops:

pretty sure i know the answer already , but other modded evos must've done trackskills last year.
cheers.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
The limit only came in this year unfortunately. To put it in perspective I think the limit at brands hatch was 120db and some of the drift guys had problems at that.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Depends what distance and rpm it's at or say a drive buy reading.

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
no chance sean - have you the bung?

that would prob just about get it quiet enough...just!

RCT

RMS Regular
Depends how they measure it. Castle combe is very hard on noise limits. They measure it on the car in the parc ferme area at a certain rpm. Others like donington measure it on the track, in which case if you are on the limit of noise, find out what side of the track it's on and have a tailpiece pointing the other way slightly. You probably going to have to go once to see how things go. Either that or ring up the organisers and try and get your car tested before the trackday some evening?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Not a mission I'll be able to do one then, I'm over that on tick over!

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
I cant see how it'll work this year. Most things built for track will never pass. Why does these people that complain decide to buy a house beside a track............:relieved:

scub

Banned
OP
scub
no chance sean - have you the bung?

that would prob just about get it quiet enough...just!

ive got the bung dave - but apparently it only drops it about 2 or 3 db. and it does choke the power too .

RoniN

RMS Regular
Here abit of the email Donal sent out about 95db limit

The big issue towards the end of 2009 was noise. This has continued into 2010 and we have been hit with a restriction of 95Db. We will have a noise meter in place for the 14th February and will test everyone's car prior to going on circuit. Most of the regular road cars will not be affected by this but bike engined cars and cars with after-market exhausts may have a problem. As the season progresses I will try to keep everyone informed as to what is passing, what is marginal and what fails.

Best to email him.

Cheers

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
One of Donal's messages stated 95dB, static, measured at 0.5m, at a few thousand revs (forget the exact number).

Cannot find the reference now though, so best ask Donal if in doubt.

95dB is not dead silent, but not a whole lot either, especially at 0.5m (1m is a more normal distance). Eardefenders are required in a work place at this level. A power lawnmower is in this region.

Most "sporty" bikes will be in trouble, un-silenced race exhausts will be a definite no go.

All trackdays are heading this way, many have noise meters at critical points along the circuit as well.

A bother for those with loud exhausts. But a loud exhaust is not really necessary for power. The few extra horses from dropping a silencer might make a difference in a race, but not on a trackday or on the road.

scub

Banned
OP
scub
i asked the question on the lancer register there and heres cut n paste..

phil lloyd
Senior User
newmember.gif

Location: North west. Car: Evo 6,8mr engine,TRL ecutek/antilag,blitz zorst+filter,18" GTR's,samco,8 pot/XP8 brakes.390/385

My nur spec started to fail tests at oulton (105db)...with less spec than you,was 113db once!!...so i defo think you will fail.
frown.gif

The bung used to get it down by 3-8db,but i didnt want det with the bung in around track,as its mapped for no bung.

Hence why i bought a full nur spec rx
cool.gif
...same quality only quieter
cool.gif
....now i fly through noise tests easy

You can buy just the RX back box,but you still might struggle with 95db limit
frown.gif

Hope this helps.

and oulton park gets the rep. on there for having silly limits and its still a full 10 db. more than the 95/ they're after .

seems track days wont be seeing any modified jap stuff , or probably ferrari/tvr/ etc. etc. either , and will literally be quiet affairs this year then.. oh well..^o)

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i know the micra rally car at sound check had to be held at 3k for a wee second while they took the reading and 98dB i think is the limit on rally cars but dont quote me

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
One of Donal's messages stated 95dB, static, measured at 0.5m, at a few thousand revs (forget the exact number).

Cannot find the reference now though, so best ask Donal if in doubt.

95dB is not dead silent, but not a whole lot either, especially at 0.5m (1m is a more normal distance). Eardefenders are required in a work place at this level. A power lawnmower is in this region.

Most "sporty" bikes will be in trouble, un-silenced race exhausts will be a definite no go.

All trackdays are heading this way, many have noise meters at critical points along the circuit as well.

A bother for those with loud exhausts. But a loud exhaust is not really necessary for power. The few extra horses from dropping a silencer might make a difference in a race, but not on a trackday or on the road.

0.5m at 45deg from the tailpipe, level in height and using 3/4 maximum revs is the typical standard the MSA use.

And if they are seeking 95db at that, it will rule out a hell of a lot of cars !!!
95 really is very low !

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i would agree with stevie that 95dB is incredibly low for sure

this is the MSA rules for Rallying
"4.1.2. Any car reading over 98dB A) in this test will be
prohibited from starting, (except in Special Stage
Rallies where a level of 100dB)

hilltop racing

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon FR
At the racing it was usually taken at 1m. Sound meter was mounted on a stick (1m) and held at the end of the tail pipe. Think readings were taken at about 3k...

ally_mac

RMS Regular
Drives
05 Evo IX GT
And if they are seeking 95db at that, it will rule out a hell of a lot of cars !!!
95 really is very low !

Even a lot of factory high performance cars with standard exhausts will fail that noise level. My Evo isnt that loud but I say it would probably fail it also

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It is not the organisers seeking the limits.

The limits are imposed by the council.

All trackday events will be subject to the same restrictions.

Similar levels are already in place at most UK tracks, and Mondello too. It was only a matter of time for K-town.

As a comparison, it is similar to a lawn mower at full whack, and enough to require ear defenders at work.

Most cars can easily be silenced to this level, with little or no real power loss.

All production road cars will pass easily, barring some extreme kit cars.

But yes, it will hurt unsilenced race cars, and most "sporty" bikes.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
In fairness I can quite clearly tell when a track-day is on at Kirkistown from my house and I'm probably 4ish miles or so away. The motorbikes are much louder, or maybe thats the bike engined kitcars.

Regardless, the noise doesn't annoy me... infact, when I hear it I'll usually saunter down for a look lol

scub

Banned
OP
scub
It is not the organisers seeking the limits.

The limits are imposed by the council.

All trackday events will be subject to the same restrictions.

Similar levels are already in place at most UK tracks, and Mondello too. It was only a matter of time for K-town.

As a comparison, it is similar to a lawn mower at full whack, and enough to require ear defenders at work.

Most cars can easily be silenced to this level, with little or no real power loss.

All production road cars will pass easily, barring some extreme kit cars.

But yes, it will hurt unsilenced race cars, and most "sporty" bikes.

cant see anything tvr made being under it tbh ,
and virtually every jap turbo car has an after market exhaust - 1st thing upgraded usually .
its the nanny state once again isnt it...8o|

we're only a step away from the residents of templepatrick area getting the airport closed .
pure pish..

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
cant see anything tvr made being under it tbh

Lol, they fall under "extreme kit cars" :p

Not defending the limits, but if this is the compromise necessary to keep the track open a bit longer, then so be it. As said, it is no worse than limits already in place for trackdays at most other UK and Irish tracks.

Getting a reasonably quiet exhaust is not the end of the world, but loosing the track would be.

This limit is no different from type approval limits, probably more generous. Would be very surprised if a road car with EU type approval did not pass this limit.

As for aftermarket exhausts - they do not have to be loud. Plenty of reasonably quiet performance exhausts around.

dellboy

RMS Regular
Drives
AMG Merc
On race days the limit is 105 db (I mechanic for a formula ford) and tha standard is 0.5 of a meter away and at 90 degre's from exhaust, car at 1/3 max rev of the engine but tester not really interested in looking at rev counter so keep the revs down as much as possible, very few fail but the difference between 95 and 105 is more than you think.It will be tight for the kit and modded exhausts especially if you get a "jobs worth" on the meter.

PhilM

RMS Regular
was considering a few trackdays this year, but im out id imagine with a screamer pipe.

id pass the idle or steady hold of 3/4k ok, but first time i got on boost out on the track would be a black flag offence id imagine unfortunately.

pity, i live close to the track and enjoy hearing the cars a heading up for a wee gander similar to coog haha

Phil

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
this is a joke i live beside the track! you can hear the noise of the cars to me its sweet music but even at that its not really loud! my house would be a field or two away from the track! I'm not sure if its a case of people complaining or the owners taking a dislike to trackdays and this is their way of ****ing people over !!!!!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.