Unnecessary models in the range

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stephen85

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra h
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411465168.823081.jpg

This!! Did anyone actually buy one of these horrible looking cars! Surly there was no need for it

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I love the A7 would have one tomorrow if I aged 15years overnight.
Cannot believe Mercedes haven't been mentioned yet. C class, CLC etc etc they have been subdividing niches for years.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I love the A7 would have one tomorrow if I aged 15years overnight.
Cannot believe Mercedes haven't been mentioned yet. C class, CLC etc etc they have been subdividing niches for years.

When I went to look for my Merc my head was busted by all the different models.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Renault went the other direction a few years back, dropped the Laguna and wind iirc due to the lack of sales.

Paul.

RMS Regular
Renault went the other direction a few years back, dropped the Laguna and wind iirc due to the lack of sales.

Still sold outside the UK I think, they just weren't moving them in this country for whatever reason (were they a bit crap?). You occasionally see what looks like a Megane with a boot on ROI plates, but badged as the Fluence, so Renault could be accused of going down the same path of redundant models. Volkswagen was interesting in this regard: as @Nicky said there was the Bora/Golf, but then also the Vento/Golf and Jetta/Golf. The frequent changes of names always left me wondering if they even knew what they were marketing over here. For me, the Volkswagen Fox and Polo were always a weird overlap. The Fox doesn't look any smaller than the Polo, while the Up does at least look more compact.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I hate that the BMW 2 - Series looks so good, i really wanted to hate it but the 235i MSport looks great

eamon343

RMS Regular
There's probably a model out there that suits everyone's needs. But the downsides is that these vehicles lose a lot of their individuality and dare I say it, 'character'.

Golf estate, all the car anyone will ever need (y)

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta

In the UK only.

Their model range outside the UK is a lot bigger with the Fluence sitting between the Megane and the Laguna for example taking the place of the Megane Classic (the one with the boot)

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
A5 Sportback and A7 would be similar, but one says I've got bit of dough, the other says, I have a fair bit.

JT_EVO

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3 Type R
Sorry if this upsets any owners, its your car, if it makes you happy im happy!

Here goes:

Any sport model when there is a proper sport model!

Examples:

Zetec s when theres an ST
Civic sport when theres a type R
Sport when theres GTI

Theres no need, go hard or go home!

And:

After this any new vauxhall limited edition model! Theres nothing limited about them!

Any non turbo model of a performance car:

Supra non turbo
Skyline non turbo

Finally:

Any limited edition, end of line thrown together piece of crap that was built to clear shelves in the warehouse!

DWDarkWheels

RMS Regular
This also leads to overloaded automotive design engineers who dream about early retirement on a sandy island while they sift through thousands of pieces of paper every day and try to communicate with other engineers who are too busy to give answers, attending pointless meetings, waiting for project direction from the incompetent, dealing with lying suppliers who know they can't deliver but flag up a problem on the day they have promised to do so.......... Rant over, off to another pointless meeting.

I would say you sound like you work for an international corporation too, but perhaps not if you have time to post on a car forum at 11:15am :grinning: ;)

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
In renaults defence...the cars like the avantime and vel satis sold well, but not here. For example in France theres a vel satis on nearly every street!

DWDarkWheels

RMS Regular
Sorry if this upsets any owners, its your car, if it makes you happy im happy!

Here goes:

Any sport model when there is a proper sport model!

Examples:

Zetec s when theres an ST
Civic sport when theres a type R
Sport when theres GTI

that goes far back ...like the 80's Fiesta 1.4S when there was an XR2, and a Corsa SR when there was a GTE. Probably more models before my day too.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Was sitting in traffic earlier beside a 3 Series and a 4 Series and it got me thinking; was there any need for the 4?

A few more models that I'd see as unnecessary from other manufacturers would be the Signum when there was already a Vectra, the Bora when there was already the Passat, the A8 when there's already an A6 and A8 etc.

BMW lost the plot IMO. Should have kept the original sizing of 3 5 and 7 series. from 90's. That was the range covered. With these new releases all they have done is replace ones they made bigger. Ooops

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.