Volkswagen Transporter and Mercedes Vito - opinions

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

56oval

RMS Regular
the constantly flashing glow plug light normally means an electrical fault, my 1st port of call would be to remove the brake light switch above the brake pedal and clean up the contacts. looks tidy enough, if they havnt been done make your 1st job new belts tensioners and water pump.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
The central locking doesn't work - it just blows the fuse everytime you try to use it for some reason. I suspect that might be the problem.

Apparently the timing belt has been done but the previous owner had no proof of this because it was done before he owned it - although I think I will definately get it done for my own piece of mind. I want this van to last afterall.

Where's the best place to take it to get the belts done?

56oval

RMS Regular
don't know where to get em done mate, i did mine myself, central locking sounds like theres a nicked wire somewhere which is earthing out, you'll have to trace it back, as i said, the glow plug flashing usually indicates an electrical fault on the van, pull the belt covers off and inspect them, if the belts are perished at all change them 300- 350 should see this job done along with water pump and tensioners, another thing to check is they are prone to leak round the rocker cover nearest the oil filler neck, this then gets under the timing belt cover and contaminates the belt , thus shortening its life.

with that mileage your over 100k off of what I'm on, mines still on the factory turbo, and the block/head has never been apart. so you've years of motoring left if you keep the oil/filters serviced and the belts done.:grinning:

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Don't suppose you know if these vans have a central locking control unit? and if so where is it? I've read about the T5 having problems due to the corroded wiring under the driver's seat base but does that also apply to the T4?

I'm not getting any kind of response from pressing the buttons on the remote apart from the little red light on the remote itself - the indicators don't flash or anything on the van. I haven't had much time to get a look into troubleshooting the problem because I'm in the process of moving house and using the van for that purpose at the minute.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Don't suppose you know if these vans have a central locking control unit? and if so where is it? I've read about the T5 having problems due to the corroded wiring under the driver's seat base but does that also apply to the T4?

I'm not getting any kind of response from pressing the buttons on the remote apart from the little red light on the remote itself - the indicators don't flash or anything on the van. I haven't had much time to get a look into troubleshooting the problem because I'm in the process of moving house and using the van for that purpose at the minute.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
One Transporter just wasn't enough... now I have two :laughing:

The second one was a wee cheapy - 1995 800 Special 1.9 straight diesel. Bought it for more or less scrap value. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet but I have driven it and it is ok to drive despite being a straight derv. I think this one will become our spare van in case of breakdowns etc.

Still looking for another blue SWB 2.5TDI though with double rear doors if anyone knows of any for sale.

Attachments

• Transporters.jpg
    Transporters.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 38
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.