what gearbox oil??????

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

watsy106

RMS Regular
Ok goin to give the car a full service tomarro and would like to know what oil to put into the gearbox, its an EP3 type R.

cheers:relieved:

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
I would imagine 75w90 would be fine, Comma stuff from Motoglass on Boucher Road is reasonably priced and decent.

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
Stoneys correct, motoglass also do Millers if you want to pay a bit extra, great stuff!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Worth putting some molyslip in too? Force of habit for me now but some gearbags don't like it. Not sure about the EP3's but all my other motors got a dose of it for good measure.

vette_kid

RMS Regular
I changed my gear box oil to amsoil 5W30 in the ATR. was bout £15 a litre, good stuff though. got it from opie oils online.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
be careful do not just jump the gun and reccomend oils, honda there selves actually use, wait for this one, 10w40 engine oil in there gear boxes!

normally the best oil for hondas (now im on about eg's and ek's) was always sworn to be landrover something or other oil but i forget exactly what at the min

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Worth putting some molyslip in too? Force of habit for me now but some gearbags don't like it. Not sure about the EP3's but all my other motors got a dose of it for good measure.

Adding any sort of friction reducer to a gearbox...kinda defeats the operation of the baulk rings etc for shifting. Not a good idea.

watsy106

RMS Regular
OP
watsy106
be careful do not just jump the gun and reccomend oils, honda there selves actually use, wait for this one, 10w40 engine oil in there gear boxes!

normally the best oil for hondas (now im on about eg's and ek's) was always sworn to be landrover something or other oil but i forget exactly what at the min

my mate that works for parts in honda asked one of the guys earlier and he said 10w 40.
As for landrover oil something or other, happy days i work for them so ill do it tomarro. Does it matter if its fully synt/ part synt/ diesel/ petrol????

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
thats what i mean, the landrover oil is not 10w40 from memory,
i forget the name of it

some of the honda nut's on here ie ek4, thumper, ferret etc etc might know what it is, even ollie who used to have the teg

REVINCIVIC

RMS Regular
Drives
honda civic
use honda MTF m8 .. its the same as the land rover stuff .. the old honda gearbox,s are pretty picky about what fluid you use .. never heard of running engine oil in a honda gearbox :relieved:

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
mtf94, thats the stuff!

as for the engine oil in there boxes, well i used to work for honda, only a short while before i left though as the place was a joke, but anyhow, all that went into the honda gearboxes was engine oil, 10w40 as described in the service manuals!

watsy106

RMS Regular
OP
watsy106
Yea we have that MTF94 in work, will fill it tomarro.

Thanks for the help:party:

watsy

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
i thought it was MTF3, and it was Rover (R.I.P) that sold the same stuff a bit cheaper than honda

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Older Hondas such as CRX used 10w40 oil but newer stuff definitely needs proper MTF box oil.

watsy106

RMS Regular
OP
watsy106
Yep the mtf 94 is a lot thinner oil than 10w40. Had the 10w40 in for a day and it was a bit harder to get into gear when cold:relieved:

stubbsy

RMS Regular
Drives
old skool pre 96
THINNER :-# surely you should know this as you being a

"fully qualified mechanic of 10 years"

the thinner the oil, the easier it is to change gear,hence when a gearbox crunches when its cold(ie worn bulk rings ect) is because the oil is thick,once the oil heats up and becomes thin and lubricates better, the easier it is to change gear!run of the mill stuff this bibby:-#:-#:-#

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.