Wheel arch dented and chipped during wheel alignment.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Bit of a nightmare had as last few days, would appreciate some input as I'm not sure how to proceed.

On Wednesday morning past, I took my MK5 GTI Golf to get a digital 4 wheel alignment at a local depot. Got the car back after alignment number one - car pulling badly to the left despite print outs saying car had been aligned up fine. Took the car back again to the same depot that afternoon, got alignment number two - an improvement, but still pulling badly left, print outs reading fine. Checked all other potential causes that evening. (Swapped wheels about, checked bushes, tyre pressure, topmounts etc) No problem found.

Thursday evening, went to a different depot belonging to the same company as I'd heard they have a better reputation. Wheel alignment number 3 - Car's driving fine, but steering wheel was sitting off. Drove the car straight home, parked in my garage.

Came out to it on Friday evening, found a line dent and chipping paint on the passenger front arch. I'd noticed during the alignment process that the gauges were veryyy close to the bodywork. (See below pics) Called the depot about this, they asked to bring it in as soon as I could, which was Saturday afternoon. Bring it down to them, one of their staff members took a look and informed me someone from management would be in contact early in the week.

Monday morning, I get a call asking me to bring the car over to them again, so it could be assessed.

Tuesday afternoon, I bring the car over. Operative who performed the wheel alignment is off and manager who wasn't present at the time inspects the car. Manager denies damages is possible due to the way wheel alignment gauges are mounted to the car. I was lied to about the use of the gauge mounts (which i was able to prove via the pics I took, see below) I was also able to prove the gauges could have hit the car, despite being told they couldn't have. Manager then stated both sides of the car would have damage, if the gauges did hit, which is also incorrect as I was able to prove. However he didn't want to hear this, and continually acted dumb (Or genuinely didn't understand, in which case, god help him, he must not be the brightest)

Hour of discussion passes, I've proven all his claims to be either lies or ignorance on his part - Still denying all blame. Refuses to show CCTV to support his claims.

This situation is made worse by the fact that I've taken a deposit to sell the car, on the basis I would perform a wheel alignment and get the car MOT'd. New owner doesn't want the car now until damage is fixed.

So now the query - How do I proceed from here? My current thoughts. Either:

- Take it on the chin, repair out of my own pocket, chalk it up to experience.
- Go down the small claims court route, in the hope I win and they pay full damages.
- Go above manager's head direct to owners, in the hope they can see sense.
- Blast them on social media, news papers, etc in the hope that no-one else suffers similar treatment. (Not what I want to do, but after this piss-poor service, my hand has been forced)

Pics of car on their ramps:

image_zps7g6fdo3q.jpg

image_zpss6l6xmfh.jpg

Will post pics of damage later.

I've probably left some details out, but its an essay as it is.

Any thoughts / input / advice would be appreciated. Beyond fed up with everything as it stands.

Thanks, Ian

KevM

RMS Regular
I would find it very hard to believe that laser alignment gauges would be heavy enough to dent a Golf wheel arch in fairness. They have rubber feet to protect a wheel from damage/scratches so like-wise, shouldn't damage a wheel arch.

Impossible to tell from the pics though

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Its probably pushed the arch outwards and bust the paint off. That sucks dude and the car was so clean too :worried:

I'd go after the owners and push for quick resolution, unfortunately time is ticking and you don't want to lose the sale so maybe it may be worth sorting yourself if no luck with the owners and going after them in small claims afterwards.

Dave..

RMS Regular
@Ian A
`Go above manager's head direct to owners, in the hope they can see sense` - I would try this first and if that didn`t work, speak to a solicitor before you name and shame them.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I would find it very hard to believe that laser alignment gauges would be heavy enough to dent a Golf wheel arch in fairness. They have rubber feet to protect a wheel from damage/scratches so like-wise, shouldn't damage a wheel arch.

Impossible to tell from the pics though

They've got wee prongs which mount between the wheel and tyre. It was the housing these prongs are mounted into which has hit the arch.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
If your going to loose a sale over the head of it and its minimal money to get it fixed vs the price of the sale........get it fixed and persue the matter regardless. Obv keep plenty of pics etc.

KevM

RMS Regular
the gauge only hangs on the wheel, it doesn't move or hit or prise. If a 15 stone man does not damage a wing by resting his ass against it while talking crap in a carpark, then a wee light gauge has minimal chance of doing harm.

pablo

RMS Moderator
They've got wee prongs which mount between the wheel and tyre. It was the housing these prongs are mounted into which has hit the arch.

you would wonder where the force comes from for damage to occur though. the wheels stay on the ramp all the time (so not jacking down onto the gauge). And the car doesnt move forwards/back.

I feel your pain but bar the operator being clumsy and catching the lip while fitting/removing the piece I cant see how it would happen.

could @big_pete fill the chip and tidy it up?

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Probably should have said, when they first start the alignment process, they have to turn about 1/4 turn lock of steering each way to help calibrate the machine.

This would have been when the damage has taken place.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
You need to take this to the owner. If they don't want to resolve the issue, i'd go straight to social media, it has more power than solicitors these days.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
you would wonder where the force comes from for damage to occur though. the wheels stay on the ramp all the time (so not jacking down onto the gauge). And the car doesnt move forwards/back.

I feel your pain but bar the operator being clumsy and catching the lip while fitting/removing the piece I cant see how it would happen.

could @big_pete fill the chip and tidy it up?

Gauges go on and the steering wheel is moved. Plus track rod end being shifted/moved. That with the car being low would mean the gauge could catch the arch.

pablo

RMS Moderator
yeah that would do it if it caught the lip. if it comes to it ask for the gauge to be fitted and turn the steering. will tell you 100% either way as it should do the same thing again (go slow to show it hitting just).

KevM

RMS Regular
calibrate? its fixed position laser and the steering wheel should be clamped to 4 wheel align wheels

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
calibrate? its fixed position laser and the steering wheel should be clamped to 4 wheel align wheels

You can see in the above pics that the brake lights are on, so someone is in the car. How do they clamp the wheel with someone sitting at it?

Besides, they could have fitted the gauges, wiggled the steering wheel to settle the car, then clamped (if they did, but I suspect they didn't going by the above)

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
yeah that would do it if it caught the lip. if it comes to it ask for the gauge to be fitted and turn the steering. will tell you 100% either way as it should do the same thing again (go slow to show it hitting just).

We did this when I called in again yesterday afternoon, and steering was turned and it did make contact with the arch, but the manager's argument was that it would have marked both sides.

However this isn't guaranteed for 2 reasons.

1 - The operative was at the drivers side, and could therefore see the gauge / arch and take better car not to turn the steering so far that it would hit the arch.

2 - Depending on the angle the gauge is mounted on, it gives more or less clearance when steering is applied.

I explained both of these things to the manager, and he just denied all of it and carried on saying it would have marked both sides.

Last edited:

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI

I don't know the proper procedure, but the steering is turned after the gauges are fitted, and before the steering is clamped.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
We did this when I called in again yesterday afternoon, and steering was turned and it did make contact with the arch, but the manager's argument was that it would have marked both sides.

However this is guaranteed for 2 reasons.

1 - The operative was at the drivers side, and could therefore see the gauge / arch and take better car not to turn the steering so far that it would hit the arch.

2 - Depending on the angle the gauge is mounted on, it gives more or less clearance when steering is applied.

I explained both of these things to the manager, and he just denied all of it and carried on saying it would have marked both sides.

It looks like one clamp is at 12 o'clock and one is at 1 o'clock too.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Managers a bell end but no one actually seen the damage take place so i would imagine small claims might only award a portion of costs if any, fix it yourself if you need it gone bad enough. But try to reason with owners in the meantime

KevM

RMS Regular
You can see in the above pics that the brake lights are on, so someone is in the car. How do they clamp the wheel with someone sitting at it?)

Are you asking me how?? I dont really know how to go about aligning a car the wrong way, sorry....

It seems myself and Pablo are the only ones having difficulty comprehending how aligning a car could damage it, if the procedure was followed correctly.

But then, where stupidity is concerned, anythings possible! Despite it being difficult to comprehend to 'normal' people, Brian Harvey managed to knock himself down, WITH HIS OWN CAR!!! :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Are you asking me how?? I dont really know how to go about aligning a car the wrong way, sorry....

It seems myself and Pablo are the only ones having difficulty comprehending how aligning a car could damage it, if the procedure was followed correctly.

But then, where stupidity is concerned, anythings possible! Despite it being difficult to comprehend to 'normal' people, Brian Harvey managed to knock himself down, WITH HIS OWN CAR!!! :grinning:

Lol it doesn't sound like anything was done correctly though!

pablo

RMS Moderator
if the wheel was turned enough I can see how it would possibly catch the rig between the arch and tyre.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
It looks like one clamp is at 12 o'clock and one is at 1 o'clock too.

Yeah, this technically doesn't matter in terms of the alignment itself. They could be on in any position.

It does however alter the amount of clearance which you have between the arch. IE if you have the gauges at the 1 o'clock position, you have less clearance than if you had them at the 2 o'clock position.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah, this technically doesn't matter in terms of the alignment itself. They could be on in any position.

It does however alter the amount of clearance which you have between the arch. IE if you have the gauges at the 1 o'clock position, you have less clearance than if you had them at the 2 o'clock position.

Exactly. Rocket science (for most) it isn't. Should have drawn him a diagram lol

KevM

RMS Regular
Its a 3mm hanger. If the tyre doesn't catch the arch, I don't understand how the equipment would. The bulk of the gauge is well within the original profile of the tyre.

Like you've said, its hardly rocket-science....

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I'm surprised the Manager hasn't tried the "if it wasn't lowered it wouldn't have happened" line.

Any pics of the damage?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.