When enquiring about a car..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnm

RMS Regular
Maybe your best price is too high then?
That and the fact their ignorant gits who cant say 'ok, thanks, outside of budget.'

Ant

RMS Regular
I've told people minimum price before and they've turned up only to use it as a base to begin bargaining from! Then got all offended when told to wise up! Now they get no response or told a completely different price, which is generally something mid way between what I'd actually take and what it's advertised for. 99/100 times the ones asking about price in a text don't buy the car anyway. I honestly think they send the same text out 50 times that day because one or two times when I did reply they text/rang back asking which car it was! WTF?! :-#

When buying I would ask if the price is flexible then go from there. Negotiations work much better when you're in front of someone with cash willing to take the car away there and then. Text/phone bidding will only get you so far and puts you in a poorer position come actual purchase time IMO.

aye that's what i did for the Z4, told the guy i wanted to see it but knowing the roof motor was broke was a big issue, maybe not for him but no one wants a soft top you have to manual lift up and down, and not cheap one to fix and he said "yeah that's fine price is flexible" and that he'd priced the repair cost and was one of the reasons he was selling.

scub

Banned
Nop. Ya view a car to see if ya like it. Bit like walking around a shoe shop. Try the shoes on, if ya like them ya buy them.

If a seller can't hack this then they should trade it in at a dealer

But trying on shoes ya know ya can't afford is another story

And if possible waste a dealers time. Not a private individual. That's what dealers are there for, among other things

From a different angle. It's always the buyer gets labeled time waster. Perhaps the car is crap and mis advertised, only time waster is the seller there. Probably some how still manage to call the buyer the time waster though. Like the s14 I flew to England for a while ago that genuinely had newspaper in the sills, zero boost etc.

Eager , the same Eager that came for a look round/drive in my tommi mak that time & then towards the end admitted you couldn't afford the asking price regardless of whether you wanted the car or not lol
tut tut shame on you lad :p

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Guy who bought my S3 last year did nothing but text.

I thought he was a time waster until the following day when he turned up to my house with £14K in cash.

It was all in 20s though and took a while to count so I suppose I was right about him being a "time waster" :p

Last edited:

C4L

RMS Regular
Eager , the same Eager that came for a look round/drive in my tommi mak that time & then towards the end admitted you couldn't afford the asking price regardless of whether you wanted the car or not lol
tut tut shame on you lad :p

he's just too eager for his bank account :cool:

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Well odly enough to all those with a issue with me talking to Connor this thread reminded me that I had enquired about his car and intend to view it still. I still need a run around car. It's awaiting mot before I can view. If I like it I'll buy it. My runabout was up on the lift this morn and needs 500 spent to do the job right

The rest of ya with a issue with my buying technique I couldn't give a feck about. It works for me as my car history shows having bought plenty of cars.

@scub I could afford it but tbh the engine sounded terrible. It sounded rattly as hell. I didn't fancy rebuilding a stroker evo, that's the bit I couldn't afford. Could have been lifters or something not so bad. Or could been serious piston slap and who knows what else. But wasn't for me.

Last edited:

Lostinspace

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
aVZgT.gif

This gonna be good *settles in*

scub

Banned
Relax I was only winding you up . Lol
Btw that engine was built by Mr Armstrong & is still running same internals & tubby with over 600 horsies 2 + years after you looked at it ;)

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Still sounded knackered lol.forged engines do wear out. Lot sooner than unopened engines too. Especially ones taking good boost from a 35r

scub

Banned
Was always a noisy bastid ill give you that . 4g63 lifters well known for it !
Bound to be living on borrowed time by now !

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
i just compared it to my evo 8 which was ran like a sewing machine.

wes

RMS Regular
Bit off topic but ive a couple of cars for sale just woke up from night shift to a missed call and a message from a funny number

+353870523510
tried google but no results anyone know if its a legit number

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
that's a southern number. Bout all anyone could tell you id say if google isn't bringing it up

Reactions: wes

wes

RMS Regular
Cheers swantsy. As long as it wasnt one of them friggin african numbers. All the spelling was correct lol

Gavlar

RMS Regular
As said its a ROI number +353 is their international country code

Reactions: wes

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
I've told people minimum price before and they've turned up only to use it as a base to begin bargaining from!
Just hit them back with a another question, "Is the car out of your budget?" Plenty could pay a reasonable price for a car and have the money but just want to stroke a seller so they can feel smart.

Many a cheap car I've had has been sold within a few texts.
A car's only sold when you've received the funds. You could agree a sale via phone and have them go to ground.

Hate when selling anything and you get texts asking if its still available or best price and as soon as you reply you never hear back:rolleyes:
My bold. Not everyone notices a for sale ad within 24/48 hours of it being placed. Replying with one word (yes/no) isn't too taxing. Even if you never hear from them again. They might be one looking at another car after texting and end up buying that.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
I have sold many,many cars but i never reply to texts. I always think if they cant afford the call they cant afford the car.

My minutes are unlimited on my contract so I'm not paying for them, just line rental. So by your logic does that mean I couldnt afford a car your selling? Best bs I heard in a good while.

I would send a text asking if car was still forsale and is it a suitable time to ring/ come and see if local. Sometimes include a low ball offer to test the water lol.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Just hit them back with a another question, "Is the car out of your budget?" Plenty could pay a reasonable price for a car and have the money but just want to stroke a seller so they can feel smart.

A car's only sold when you've received the funds. You could agree a sale via phone and have them go to ground.

My bold. Not everyone notices a for sale ad within 24/48 hours of it being placed. Replying with one word (yes/no) isn't too taxing. Even if you never hear from them again. They might be one looking at another car after texting and end up buying that.

you have picked me up wrong, its not texts I mind getting, it is when they text and you reply and then they dont!

Jason

RMS Regular
A text asking if its for sale does no harm, I could have anything up to 10 -12 cars for sale at one time, no easy to manage them all!

gt_86

RMS Regular
I usually snapchat the seller a few times before eventually adding them on Facebook just to get an idea of what they're like.
I always Viber them first, i can't get the hang of this Chatsnapping thing :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.