The new daily - 2021 Audi A4 Avant Black Edition

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So, i'd been contemplating for the past 6 months if i should change the Ranger for something easier on the fuel and smaller again. Previous car to the Ranger was F31 BMW which I really did enjoy. Nothing really jumped out as a replacement so I browsed on and off over that period of time, looking at things that I really wanted, like F30 M3 or M2 etc but practicality and economy had to be a priority. My sensible head told me that, my daily commute is Bangor to Belfast therefore something with 400 plus bhp is wasted so stop being a **** and get a sensible car. Having given up on what to get I'd kind of past the idea of changing until I was away at the beginning of March and had a brand new Audi Q3 Sportback Black Edition as a hire car.

Well, what a place to be inside i thought, this car is so comfortable, finished with some lovely details and full of modern tech. Came home and thought right, Audi it is. In the past I've had Skoda, VW and BMW but never Audi. The Q3 Sportback from certain angles to me looked hideous so I started to look at A6 Avant's. Having had the Audi virtual cockpit in the Q3, that was a must. Facelift A6's with the VC where still a little out of my budget and also, they are a big car. Therefore I looked at A4's, which brought me to my new daily.

I eyed up a few cars within budget both here and over the water. Stipulation was, had to be a facelift B9.5 with VC and S-line. Not being one that is keen on chrome I then narrowed my search to Black Edition's, as this would save me the hassle of de-chroming at a later date, oh and the wheels are sooo much nicer than the S-Line.

So, after much negotiating between dealers locally and over the water a deal was done here and I picked up this, Turbo Blue, 21 Plate Black Edition with 24k. 7sp S-Tronic box, 2.0TFSI MHEV, Matrix LED Headlights.

20230418_135438.png
20230418_140257.jpg
20230418_140416.jpg
20230418_135419.jpg

Plans:
Previous owner wasn't the most meticulous at cleaning cars it would appear, so there are a few marks (being very picky) that would need buffed out and also some bird **** stains are in the laquer. Just today I've gone over the car with Paint Renovator, AG Ultra Deep Shine and then a coat of Hybrid. It will do until I let someone with more expertise than I get stuck into it.

Wheels have seen some curb loving so need a refurb ( again being very fussy)

Reading the reviews, they stated that the gloss black interior trims marked easy. I can confirm, looks like previous owner wiped them down with a brillo pad. I'm hoping these may polish up with a little time and effort, if not I'll order new ones and have them ppf'd.

It's already 23mm lower than standard so i'm happy with the way it looks but I may try 10mm spacers just to get the wheels to fill the arch a little more.

Possibly visit Black Line for a Stage 1 map, brings the Bhp up by 96hp and the torque by 138 lb/ft

So far, driving it is superb, such a nice quiet comfortable environment to be in. Averaging 48mpg on the commute and 53mpg on a run to the North Coast. It's a mild hybrid so was alarming initially when the engine decides to switch off during the commute.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
Big comfy cruiser and the colour is fab, enjoy
Thank you.

The colour was a headache. I didn't want Black or White, Metallic Grey or Blue where my choices. My wife's Polo is a very similar blue so I was like, two blue cars on the drive???? Anyway, I'm glad I went for it now as it is a lovely colour and really suits the car imo.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
Love that colour! Was this sitting a sprucefield on Sat night, actually commented on the colour of it or one like it.
Wasn't me. I saw an identical one in Belfast yesterday, only thing different was black Audi rings on the tailgate.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Thank you.

The colour was a headache. I didn't want Black or White, Metallic Grey or Blue where my choices. My wife's Polo is a very similar blue so I was like, two blue cars on the drive???? Anyway, I'm glad I went for it now as it is a lovely colour and really suits the car imo.
Yep my only regret was going for a white S3, good job I like cleaning cars

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
Those MPG figures almost make me regret getting an older diesel
I was torn between a petrol or diesel. In the end I convinced myself to go petrol to avoid dpf and adblu issues further down the line.

I can't believe the economy, just cruising on my commute the engine never seems to be working hard, I guess it's the 7 speed box that helps.

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Lovely colour and good choice going for the petrol over diesel especially for the reasons you mentioned, a map and spacers as you said would leave her sitting spot on. HTD

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
So, first mod underway.

My car didn't come with the extended storage option which includes this under dash storage.

P1010700.JPG

I sourced the part numbers to retrofit this and fired an order in. Will update in due course once parts arrive.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
I was torn between a petrol or diesel. In the end I convinced myself to go petrol to avoid dpf and adblu issues further down the line.

I can't believe the economy, just cruising on my commute the engine never seems to be working hard, I guess it's the 7 speed box that helps.
Rip em out, code them out, fill with red and never worry.

That's a stunning estate, really like that and I've not been an audi fan for a long time.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
Not much updates on this. Fulfilling daily duties the very best.

Set of carbon mud flaps fitted recently (still undecided about them) and a set of Michelin All Season tyres.

Actually went up a size to 255/35 as they were Ā£40 a tyre cheaper.

Been back to Audi once for a illuminated sill not working, sorted under warranty so no hassle at all.

20231126_105137.jpg
20231126_105103.jpg

20231120_155812.jpg

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
Not much to update.

Had it's inspection service done at Audi (due to still being under warranty).
Engine fluids/filters
Plugs
Gearbox oil
Brake fluid.

Car had a underlying error code in the MMI and Audi authorised for a full software update of the car. So now have wireless Android Auto, boot closure from key and a few other wee extras that it didn't have before.

They also wanted to fit new front discs and pads as they where below Audi spec. I kindly refrained due to cost and did it myself. (Agreed that warranty wouldn't be affected, other than a disc or pad issue).

Brembo Xtra line discs/Ferrodo pads.

Also, the piano black interior marks like an absolute bastid, so inspired by @charlieskunkweed GTR thread, I ordered the same Chinese carbon and experimented with wrapping a section of the trim.

Jury is out to be honest and I think doing the whole centre console area would be to much šŸ¤”šŸ¤·
Screenshot_20240429_162351_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240429_162251_Gallery.jpg