Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Nice colour scheme, can you get a rear seat cowl for it?

Yeah I've ordered one along with a colour coded undertray and a tank pad:

1302775762_CBR600F-08F74MGM820_w600_h600.jpg

cbr600f-2011-undertray-kit_cms_site_products_images_15721-1-21166_800_800_False.png

fileb6573fc3f3a346748f776be227e45a75.JPG

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
just passed my test on monday, with 2 minors. Couldnt be happier! Now the search for an old cb500!

Mikey
Congrats dude that awesome (y), no better feeling than getting everything done and dusted. Where abouts did you do your test

c120bb

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
Yeah, it is a great feeling. The weather was brilliant on monday aswell, which made it that much better :grinning: Did it in ards. Ians Driving school took me for th lessons. Couldnt recommend him more!

Mikey

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
To anyone who can answer, whats the craic with the bike licence as of next year?
I have already got the test but a mate is looking to do it over the winter period.

Are they going to step the size of a bike you can legally ride? He's 23 btw if that makes any difference

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
When is his birthday? You can do Direct Access which gives you a full unrestricted license however you need to be over 24, otherwise he will be restricted to 35kW (A2 license) or 11kW (A1 license).

Essentially I think it's worth his while waiting to do the test when he is 24, pretty sure he can do the CBT and theory when he is 23 though which will still be valid.

Shaun

RMS Regular
On a normal car licence does the CBT still need to be done yeah?

How much is it for the test etc for the full unrestricted? Im 26 btw :worried: lol

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Everyone has to do a CBT now, it's a piece of piss but for complete beginners to the road or youngsters out there you can see why it is valid.

I haven't seen any prices regarding Direct Access however I can only imagine it being more expensive than the normal route due to instructors having to get more, expensive bikes to do it on. Going by my own recent experiences of getting an A license:

- CBT (£170, not set in stone and varies from instructor to instructor)
- Theory test (£30)
- Off road test (£31+£40 for bike lesson beforehand and hire)
- On road test (£58+£40 for bike lesson beforehand and hire)
- Lessons depending on your competency (I took 5 @ £25 a pop and I was a complete beginner)

Essentially the bare bones of the certificates will cost you about £300 right now and you are still restricted to 33BHP. Might not be a big deal though if you don't really care about it and if your insurance company doesn't ask.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Cheers lad, not as bad as i though it would be.
Always wanted to get it i might give it a go in the new year.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
It's fantastic, so much more fun driving on two wheels than 4 - the performance per £ is off the scale compared to cars, I've got about the same BHP/tonne as a McLaren F1 and it cost me less than £1k to buy and insure (at 28).

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
Been really interested in getting a bike in the new year but all these rules/tests coming in is putting me off i have to admit, its been a while since iv been on a motorbike but i think it should be easy enough to get back and being a sensibleish driver on the roads for 6 years should be an advantage over a 17 year old going for it
Being nearly 6ft 4 and just under 14st i really couldnt see shooting around on a little 125 though, is it common for people to ride "restricted" bikes so say a "restricted" 600 with only a cbt
And gcon good to see you like the CBR with your height, they are whats got me interested in getting a bike but i worried a sports bike would have me sitting like an elephant on a kids bike

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Id say go for it and get it done then asap before it does get alot harder and more expensive. If your worried about height and weight the vfr is still a fun bike and comfortable.. or go for a blade alot more streatch on them till the 08s were they get very comfy and tight

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
i couldnt afford it all this side of xmas so i would say im stuck with the new laws, what kind of mpg is expected from the likes of a cbr600, would be more of a toy but just out of curiosity

Hel

RMS Regular
As in restrict a 600 to 11bhp so you could ride in on L plates? Cant do that

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
no im thinking passing the first test on a 600 restricted to the maximum power allowed for that test, would that be 33bhp?