Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
i couldnt afford it all this side of xmas so i would say im stuck with the new laws, what kind of mpg is expected from the likes of a cbr600, would be more of a toy but just out of curiosity

I did a couple of commutes to work (mainly motorway) and was getting about 50mpg out of a CBR 600

Hel

RMS Regular
From the 19th of January 2013 there's going to be a lot of changes to the system as to how you get a motorcycle license due to the EC 3rd Driving License Directive. At the moment, you can pass your test at 17 and be restricted to a bike 33bhp and under for two years. After the two years are up you are free to ride whatever you wish. Quite a sensible system, holding back new riders from jumping on an R1 giving them a chance to gain some experience first.
Under the new system a rider wanting to get a license will be required to do a test at 17 which will grant them the ability to ride a 125cc machine. That's it. At 19 they will then have to do another test to get on a 46bhp machine. They will then have to wait another five years until they are 24 when finally after another test they will be able to ride any bike. Seems a little crazy when you can drive any car of any power at 17!
This directive was passed under Tony Blair's reign in government and sadly there's no going back now. I just hope that the youngsters still have the drive to get on two wheels and if they don't that they get on after 24. So if you've ever felt there was a time to get on a bike, it's now! Get in there whilst you still can, especially if you're 17. Let's not look at this as a bad thing but a reason to do your test.

http://www.mceinsurance.com/company-news/insurance-news/motorcycle-license-changes-2013.html

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
no im thinking passing the first test on a 600 restricted to the maximum power allowed for that test, would that be 33bhp?
josh897 You cant ride anything over 125 until you pass the practical test. Its thereafter is only when you have to ride whatever restricted to 33bhp :grinning:

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
ah kk i get ya now cheers! does the theory i have for my driving license cover me for the bike or do i have to do another one, i find it crazy that a 17yr old with a wealthy daddy can bounce into a lambourghini the day he passes but a 24 year on a bike license is gonna have all this grief in the new year

Hel

RMS Regular
ah kk i get ya now cheers! does the theory i have for my driving license cover me for the bike or do i have to do another one, i find it crazy that a 17yr old with a wealthy daddy can bounce into a lambourghini the day he passes but a 24 year on a bike license is gonna have all this grief in the new year

Law makers dont ride bikes or want their kids on them, simples.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Thats actually a very good question. Well if you took your theory over 2 years ago then you're definitely not covered. Whether you have to do it again for motorbike within 2 years of completeing it for when you done car license is another question, but i would imagine not as that doesnt make sense, but god only knows. You'd need to confirm that with DVA or whoever you do your CBT/learning with :grinning:

Surely you can see the sense in the bike setup compared to car? If anything it is a pity there wasnt something similar in cars.

c120bb

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
i thought u wanted a leon josh? lol Go for it, i passed mine about a month or so ago, and hopefully buying a bike in the new year!

Mikey

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
yea i do mikey, leon or dc5 but its just with all these new laws coming in its made me think about a bike again and want a new toy lol, but i really doubt i could have myself sorted for a test by the new laws, how long did it take you to learn and pass??

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
serious? and how much riding experience did you have or lessons did you take?
also daddyc i looked there and the bike theory is different, makes sense as they will have different stopping distances/rules for carrying people

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
2 2hr lessons and about 45mins before the test lol. Riding bikes from day 1 and had been driving the car for a year at the time

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
It will be interesting to know what type of bikes instructors will have to use for the new A2 and A tests in January

c120bb

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
First bike searching now. Im looking for a cb500/550/450 etc for restoration. If anyone knows of any please give me a bell

Mikey

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
Got a few questions and looking some advice... I'm considering doing the bike test at some point in the future and I'm wondering what people recommend as the best way to go about it. Currently I don`t have any bike, but can ride a pitbike etc.. and I was considering buying a tiddler road bike to get more practice on. Also, since the laws about the bike test are changing at the end of the month, so that if you do your test on a x cc bike, you are then restricted to that? (I'm 27). Am I right in this, for my age? I find the whole thing a bit confusing. If I understand right, I don't really want to do another test if at some point if I decide I want something with more power?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
Over the age of 24 you are eligible to do Direct Access which means you sit the test on a big bike and you are then unrestricted.

Hey mate,

What about pricing for lessons since they will now be on the bigger bike (?). Will prices go up much?

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
Haven't heard of any price increase. My step dad certainly hasn't mentioned raising his prices.

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
Looks like I spoke too soon, lessons on the larger bikes are indeed going up in price. Looking like it's gonna be closer to £30-35 for an hour on a 600.

M4TT

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI Mk7.5
My instructor was saying bout this as well, luckily I passed my test on the 14th January and am currently shopping around for my first bike.
However I haven't been anywhere near anything above a 125cc so I'm abit concerned about the weight difference and what not lol... Insurance-wise I got quoted £3,000+ for a cbr600/r6 yet £400 for a bandit 600/kwak er6...

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
My instructor was saying bout this as well, luckily I passed my test on the 14th January and am currently shopping around for my first bike.
However I haven't been anywhere near anything above a 125cc so I'm abit concerned about the weight difference and what not lol... Insurance-wise I got quoted £3,000+ for a cbr600/r6 yet £400 for a bandit 600/kwak er6...
Seems a bit steep for insurance is that fully comp? what age are you? I only paid £157 to insure a SV650 3rd Party F&T

I wouldnt be to concerned to much about the weight difference, as long as you keep the bike upright you wont have any difficulties (y)

M4TT

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI Mk7.5
Seems a bit steep for insurance is that fully comp? what age are you? I only paid £157 to insure a SV650 3rd Party F&T

I wouldnt be to concerned to much about the weight difference, as long as you keep the bike upright you wont have any difficulties (y)

No, thats 3rd party. I'm 21, 22 in May. Complete rip off.