The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Door card off for a look at the module. After that you're looking at replacing things :worried:

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Had the door card off, removed the full harness and checked for any broken/ frayed wires to do with the airbags and no issues.
Whats the module @Coog ? Airbag unit?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Had the door card off, removed the full harness and checked for any broken/ frayed wires to do with the airbags and no issues.
Whats the module @Coog ? Airbag unit?

Yeah I was thinking the actual unit in the door. Not really sure what you do now mate :worried:

Cabin end or rear end?

Both.

Fitted one of those aux input cables from eBay yesterday too. Decent enough job for £12 or whatever it was.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Success!!!!!
Drivers side airbag fixed by making up a wee tab out of an old credit card and installing into the airbag connector. It was broken off and its a safety feature to prevent accidental detonation.

I didn't do much with the belt tensioner except remove the wiring harness, blow out any connectors and checked the wiring for splits. Reassembled, cleared the codes and no more airbag light.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Happy days mate. Another item ticked off the list lol. Won't be long before she's 100% :grinning:

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CB500f
Anyone know where to get these somewhere close. I don't fancy paying $39.00 (£25) and waiting a month for delivery.

Besian Systems

click to enlarge

Soft Vise Jaw Liners
Item # BS091, $15
Tool for Single & Double Vanos Rattle Repair Kit (6-cyl)
pixel.gif

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Had this problem for a while and only just getting around to sorting it;

Error code 4704 Pre-supply pressure monitoring.

Im going to change the diesel filter as its not been done in my ownership and see if that helps. It'll do no harm even if it isn't it.
Next step will be new lift pump. Any other thoughts on what it may be?

EDIT; I should have mentioned the actual problem.... on heavy acceleration the car will accelerate and then cut power. The fault is showing that the supply pressure is dropping causing the cut in power.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Rust? There's 12 year warranty, I'd both mine replaced FOC through Bavarian.

colin84

RMS Regular
Rust? There's 12 year warranty, I'd both mine replaced FOC through Bavarian.

No, sorry should have said it's damaged. Need to get a few estimates, but was curious to see if anyone had paid to have there's done with the amount of rusty ones out there.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Guys,

My car sometimes feels like the front wheels aren't attached or have a mind of their own - particularly going over bumps or potholes its as if they wants to go all different directions.

Also sometimes get a clunk when going over bumps.

Car also pulls to the left even after 2 alignments with Kerrs :worried:

Google suggests steering rack is lose or knackered - anyone else experiences the same in an E46 or any other car and can suggest something? Its going to the mechanic sometime (hopefully this week) but I like to have an idea myself even if I wont be fixing it personally.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The ball joints on the lower control arms are pretty common wear item.

pablo

RMS Moderator
steering joint is common too. joins the steering column to the rack.

with the wheel straight give it small turns and see if the wheels actually move. If there is any slop then its a likely candidate.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
steering joint is common too. joins the steering column to the rack.

with the wheel straight give it small turns and see if the wheels actually move. If there is any slop then its a likely candidate.

Yes, there is much slop lol

Thought recently that our Troopers steering seems more responsive lol