The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Talk of needing (at some point in the future) a new centre driveshaft as it thuds when taking off and sometimes changing gear...

Also the handbrake needs a lot of work as its squealing as I drive and apparently rotten - quoted 2 hrs labour each side plus parts - reasonable? Apparently they should be able to get it off without disturbing the bearing on the rears but If they cant its big dolla $$ (n)

Mine failed the MOT on the centre driveshaft guibo.
£80 for the Febi Bilstein version and a couple of hours to change it. Easy enough to do although I was working with a pit which made it much more accessible.

As for the handbrake backplate, I bought 2 new plates, Cut enough out of them to get it on without doing the bearing and then rewelded the bit back in. Id say it took 3hrs total for me to do that. I really didn't want to disturb the bearing, hence the cutouts.

The handbrake is dead easy on them. Wheel off, caliper off and disc off and you're in. Shouldn't need to do anything with the bearing. I've had mine apart to clean them up.

Think he means the handbrake mounting plate is rotten completely, as are most these days if they haven't been replaced.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
@Antoin that rings a bell about the mounting plate, I think that is what he said to me .... assuming that is more complicated then?

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
The mounting plates are usually that rotten that the retaining clip for the shoes pulls through them so the shoes are basically jiggling about inside the drum disc.
To get the plate on properly you have to pull the bearing off. Feck that lol

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
The mounting plates are usually that rotten that the retaining clip for the shoes pulls through them so the shoes are basically jiggling about inside the drum disc.
To get the plate on properly you have to pull the bearing off. Feck that lol

Does it make any difference to performance? Any noise if you don't do it?

Would rather not go down the bearing route on a 15yr old 170k daily beater...

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Just done handbrake on mine. New backplates, cables, shoes, discs and pads. My backplates completely rotted out and the shoe jammed and locked the back wheel

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Talk of needing (at some point in the future) a new centre driveshaft as it thuds when taking off and sometimes changing gear...

Thump could also be the diff mount, or the donut thing on the drive shaft. Neither are handy to do. Never heard of anyone needing a whole replacement shaft.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D

Colin_A

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Funny enough mine just failed mot this afternoon for the hand brake. I'm hoping the back plates are okay.

nicknab

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 330CD

Also the handbrake needs a lot of work as its squealing as I drive and apparently rotten - quoted 2 hrs labour each side plus parts - reasonable? Apparently they should be able to get it off without disturbing the bearing on the rears but If they cant its big dolla $$ (n)

My centre driveshaft went in the new year and wasn't that expensive to buy and get replaced iirc

nicknab

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 330CD
My key fob is looking a bit worn and want to get it replaced, was on the E46 forum and a few of the guys on there have a flip style key fob for their E46!
I found a guy on ebay but he's located in London and needs the car or u have to post the module so he can program it! I have attached the advert

Any fellow E46ers know if there's anyone from here could do something like that?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436824504.810130.jpg

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Lads I have a crankcase breather filter "loo roll filter" that I bought and now dont need. Turns out someone had already fitted the vortex breather so I have no need of the filter.
Free to anyone that wants it. It was bought for a 2002 330d.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
My key fob is looking a bit worn and want to get it replaced, was on the E46 forum and a few of the guys on there have a flip style key fob for their E46!
I found a guy on ebay but he's located in London and needs the car or u have to post the module so he can program it! I have attached the advert

Any fellow E46ers know if there's anyone from here could do something like that?View attachment 89902

Ring Jonny Ross on 07543 179784 on Monday and tell him Nicky Smyth gave you his number. He does them I think, and every other type of key available. Has done Mercs, BMW's, Renaults, Hondas etc for us. He not hard paid either.

nicknab

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 330CD
Ring Jonny Ross on 07543 179784 on Monday and tell him Nicky Smyth gave you his number. He does them I think, and every other type of key available. Has done Mercs, BMW's, Renaults, Hondas etc for us. He not hard paid either.

Cheers mate! Where's he based?