The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
What happened?

Belt came off I think

Lost power steering and battery light came on coming out of the town onto the M2, continued up the hill section to try and at least get off at Sandyknowes to get onto a side road.

Car started losing power and overheating going up so I tried to nurse her to the top of the hill to coast down the hard shoulder to the roundabout at least, didn't get that far!

Just hoping that I haven't cooked the engine and I only need a belt replaced!!!!!!!!!

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Sounds like the belt for sure. I'm sure it'll be grand!

That's what the AA guy said so its put my mind at ease a bit ... I was googling away in the recovery truck and making myself panic

(im the type of person who googles symptoms for everything when either me or my car is sick and then starts rationalising that I have Ebola...)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Car started losing power and overheating going up so I tried to nurse her to the top of the hill to coast down the hard shoulder to the roundabout at least, didn't get that far!

Had exactly the same with the Honda, water pump/alternator belt came off and it got a bit steamy, cough... New belt, top up coolant, job done (y)

If it were the Rover it would have been a different story, lol :p

Should have stopped straight away though, never drive when the engine is not right. Could be harmless or fatal, you just never know. I stopped in the middle of the Portaferry roundabout in Newtownards in morning rush-hour, lol, got a few "encouraging" comments by passing traffic, lol :grinning:

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Had exactly the same with the Honda, water pump/alternator belt came off and it got a bit steamy, cough... New belt, top up coolant, job done (y)

If it were the Rover it would have been a different story, lol :p

Should have stopped straight away though, never drive when the engine is not right. Could be harmless or fatal, you just never know. I stopped in the middle of the Portaferry roundabout in Newtownards in morning rush-hour, lol, got a few "encouraging" comments by passing traffic, lol :grinning:

I know mate, should have stopped right away on hard shoulder but I remember it happening to the other half and she got a few hours driving in her 206 before it died and then it went ok - never thought about it being connected to waterpump etc as well :worried:

To make things better I rang Agnews myself as I knew if the Police did they would probably charge me some kind of admin fee for their "services" and I have Agnews saved in my phone from previous cars being moved about the country for me...

To top it all off, I forgot Im with the AA now though because that's who I insured with...

homer-doh-squaregreen.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Good job well done there, at least you remembered your name :p :innocent:

Agnews are really good for moving things around locally, reasonably priced as well.

AA are great if you have relay, especially if further away. But they do take their sweet time. Anything from 30-60 mins for the van to get there, and then usually a couple of hours for a tow truck to show up. Once past the call centre they are usually very helpful though.

colin84

RMS Regular
Belt came off I think

Lost power steering and battery light came on coming out of the town onto the M2, continued up the hill section to try and at least get off at Sandyknowes to get onto a side road.

Just hoping that I haven't cooked the engine and I only need a belt replaced!!!!!!!!!

Have you had a look at the pulleys and tensioner? It has happened to me before in a 330d and it ended up being the crankshaft pulley had fell apart. I just sold a mate a 320d and noticed his was cracked and in a bad state as well. The pulley has a rubber dampener in the middle that wears over time.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Have you had a look at the pulleys and tensioner? It has happened to me before in a 330d and it ended up being the crankshaft pulley had fell apart. I just sold a mate a 320d and noticed his was cracked and in a bad state as well. The pulley has a rubber dampener in the middle that wears over time.

...expensive?

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Looks like @colin84 wins the cookie... just off the phone with the Garage and they said it looks as if a pulley seized and the belt got ripped off

Thankfully doesn't seem to be any major damage so a new pulley is on and they are just waiting on the fan belt to fit for me this afternoon

So glad I wont have to spend another days commute in my mates Hyundai Amica, as decent as it was of him to lend me it for the few days I was off the road - its still a **** box on wheels that is terrifying to drive on a motorway above 50mph! lol

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Learnt that when replacing rear shocks to replace the top mounts at the same time! Replaced the 2 shocks last week, and rubbers have popped out of both mounts since!

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Looks like @colin84 wins the cookie... just off the phone with the Garage and they said it looks as if a pulley seized and the belt got ripped off

Thankfully doesn't seem to be any major damage so a new pulley is on and they are just waiting on the fan belt to fit for me this afternoon

So glad I wont have to spend another days commute in my mates Hyundai Amica, as decent as it was of him to lend me it for the few days I was off the road - its still a **** box on wheels that is terrifying to drive on a motorway above 50mph! lol

Any telltale signs that the pulley is about to get fecked?

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D

Ill ask when I collect it but Im sure the injector leak off pipe splitting and spraying diesel everywhere didn't help any of the rubber mounts about my engine bay....

Other than that a shudder and suddenly very stiff power steering is a very common side effect :p

PS That is most likely my old belt lying on York St/M2 junction lol

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I replaced a tensioner in my old 330 as it sounded dry. Was a pain tracking down the right part though, something to do with a change in design. With the tensioner being spring loaded its easy to pop the belt on and off.

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Been having my traction control light coming on lately and tracked it down to a dsc sensor on the abs pump. Dealer only part - 102 quid - dear wee buggar lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437741984.887369.jpg

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Been having my traction control light coming on lately and tracked it down to a dsc sensor on the abs pump. Dealer only part - 102 quid - dear wee buggar lol

View attachment 90701

Mine seems to come on easily so either im not used to RWD and the torque of the engine or something is up with a sensor

Usually only when going round corners/bends and especially on bumpy ground but sometimes not even going very fast ... weird|!

j44nty

RMS Regular
I blacked out all lights on my dash 4 years ago and have never had one problem I KNOW OF. bar an abs sensor. I also have to change a rear arm as the bush is now non existent and it rattles about on the bolt so badly the radio will no longer drown it out. still free motoring for 4 years though. Gonna treat it to 2 new wings and a rattle can finish next month when I do the rear arm and hopefully she will limp to work for another 4 years lol.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I blacked out all lights on my dash 4 years ago and have never had one problem I KNOW OF. bar an abs sensor. I also have to change a rear arm as the bush is now non existent and it rattles about on the bolt so badly the radio will no longer drown it out. still free motoring for 4 years though. Gonna treat it to 2 new wings and a rattle can finish next month when I do the rear arm and hopefully she will limp to work for another 4 years lol.

Mine doesn't limp, she slides to work :cool:

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Mine seems to come on easily so either im not used to RWD and the torque of the engine or something is up with a sensor

Usually only when going round corners/bends and especially on bumpy ground but sometimes not even going very fast ... weird|!

I found that a wee stone had jammed in the ABS ring on the hub which caused traction control to kick in at strange times.
Check which wheel sensor is throwing up the fault and give that one a wee clean out.