Private car sale advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mattblair

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
Gents,

Yesterday I purchased a Boxster S privately. After purchasing, I got a mile down the road and the car had a melt down, dash lit up like a christmas tree and wouldn't start. After getting on the phone with the seller, he came down to jump start me - assuring me that it was a dead battery. During our conversation the seller had told me that a new battery would 100% solve this problem and fix the car completely, promising me that if it didn't, I would get a full refund - no questions asked. This was backed up by the seller telling me to trust him as he worked as a sales executive for a major luxury car dealership in Belfast.

As I'm sure you can guess, a new battery went in today and didn't solve the problem. The seller is now refusing to honour his word. I'm aware that with a private sale it is buyer beware and the sales of goods act does not apply but legally, do I have a leg to stand on here with the verbal agreement between myself and the seller?

I spoke to him today and he confirmed that he did make that agreement but will not honour it, I was also informed that his solicitor will contact me if I 'name and shame', and after speaking to the dealership they also told me that they would sue me if I was to reveal whom he works for. Are these idle threats or should I be concerned?

I'm planning on filing a claim in the small claims court on Monday, thankfully my home insurance has legal protection which covers instances like this- I'm just curious for some advice, insight and/or warnings whether potentially, that I should not waste my time.

Thanks!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Do you know what the problem is? It may not be worth going to small claims if its something simple like a loose earth cable, etc.

Jason

RMS Regular
Do you know what the problem is? It may not be worth going to small claims if its something simple like a loose earth cable, etc.
Exactly!! Any half experienced mechanic worth his salt should diagnose it in a couple hours.

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
No harm but the way your going about it isnt helping things.

Private purchase so im afraid its buyer beware. Don't embarrass yourself by ringing his work and threatening to name and shame him ffs! Its probably a simply wiring fault!!
Sorry I may have phrased that poorly - The name and shame was on here (RMS), they told me to keep their name out as it would be deformation? I could have gotten that term wrong - something along those lines.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Sounds grim but these things happen when buying private.

I thought that big car sales places don't allow their employees to buy and sell motors? (Assuming it wasn't his own car of course)

Jason

RMS Regular
By the sounds of things its a weekend car thats been lying parked up due to flat battery issue, it will be a basic wiring fault.

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
By the sounds of things its a weekend car thats been lying parked up due to flat battery issue, it will be a basic wiring fault.

Could well be! This was to be an every day car for me and I trusted the guy that if a battery didn't sort it - he would take it back. Thats where my main question lies - does it matter that he said that?

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
Defamation. And its only considered defamation if its untrue. We don't like it on here regardless as it usually gets us poor admins in deep trouble lol (so please don't)

I'll keep it kosher - I don't want any drama.

Jason

RMS Regular
Could well be! This was to be an every day car for me and I trusted the guy that if a battery didn't sort it - he would take it back. Thats where my main question lies - does it matter that he said that?
Even if it was in writing im fairly sure you wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

What lights are on the car?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It might be considered a verbal agreement. You need to decide if its worth chasing though. There wouldnt be too many on here would say nothing and take it lying down if a car they just bought lay down after driving mile, private sale or not.

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
Even if it was in writing im fairly sure you wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

What lights are on the car?
Currently none of them as the battery has drained itself lol! Before that - all of them. Every warning under the sun came up. From some forum surfing today, it could be something as simple as a relay - on the other hand, some horror stories say the sky is the limit really given what happened.

JD.

RMS Regular
No harm but the way your going about it isnt helping things.

Private purchase so im afraid its buyer beware. Don't embarrass yourself by ringing his work and threatening to name and shame him ffs! Its probably a simply wiring fault!!

At no point does the OP say he is going to 'name and shame' so don't jump to conclusions. As another poster said, there isn't a member on here who would take this lying down. The seller is also the one who has brought his employer's name into the whole thing by telling the OP that he should 'trust him' because he works for this employer. I think that if anything, the employer should be pissed that the seller is using their name in order to sell cars.

wes

RMS Regular
Is it the new battery drained itself? While running? Check charging voltage as said sounds like a weekend car good luck but have it checked by your mechanic

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Im surprised the dealership allows him to work on the side ! many don't. As for your problem, you may just suck it up I feel. Is it wiring, alternator issues ??
Bitter pill but what goes around comes around at the end of the day

wes

RMS Regular
It could just have been his car or 2nd car he has sold personal use. Not acting as a trader and maybe he is blind to what is actually wrong and took it as the battery being flat

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
Is it the new battery drained itself? While running? Check charging voltage as said sounds like a weekend car good luck but have it checked by your mechanic
Yeah new battery went in today and within 20 minutes give or take the car was throwing the errors up and turning itself off. I'm more pissed at the fact he guaranteed me that if the battery didn't sort it, it would be money back - no questions asked. Can't trust anyone these days!

wes

RMS Regular
Ive mislaid (left my volt meter at my arse) ill have a look in garage see if i can hole it out i live in carrick a jump start and simple test and jump start will tell if its charging or not. If i find it ill pm you

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.