Private car sale advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
As said above,frazers auto electrics in lisburn refurb them and are cheap as **** too. Been using them for years without a problem.

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
New battery, new alternator and new belt and the car (touch wood!!) seems to be fixed! Thank goodness. Still a bit pissed at the guy promising to take it back if it wasn't the battery, but more fool me for trusting a car sales man... Anyone who wants to know who to avoid - send me a PM! (Provided thats ok with the mods!)

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
New battery, new alternator and new belt and the car (touch wood!!) seems to be fixed! Thank goodness. Still a bit pissed at the guy promising to take it back if it wasn't the battery, but more fool me for trusting a car sales man... Anyone who wants to know who to avoid - send me a PM! (Provided thats ok with the mods!)
At least you got it sorted in the end bud. We all learn from our mistakes and least yours wasn't as costly as first though..

wes

RMS Regular
Excellent now just enjoy your pride and joy, put this down as a lesson learned take someone with you next time and keep your whits about you most people selling whether it be a saleman or not are just looking to sell and will say whatever.
Health to drive :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
Nice one. I'd be tempted to do a small claims case for the bill to the seller/his company. There is plenty of evidence the seller knew the car was faulty and used his employers name to gain confidence.

Or chalk it down to a close call and enjoy the car.

pablo

RMS Moderator
One thing though, if the alt was bad it should have shown a low voltage warning on the display.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If every light was lit as described though it might be hard to tell what was going on.

pablo

RMS Moderator
That only happened when the car stopped. On the test drive and after leaving the seller it was driving and if voltage was 11v odds the low voltage warning should have been on.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Currently none of them as the battery has drained itself lol! Before that - all of them. Every warning under the sun came up. From some forum surfing today, it could be something as simple as a relay - on the other hand, some horror stories say the sky is the limit really given what happened.

Sounds like any issue with any car then lol

EDIT - Just read the rest of the thread and realised you got sorted, glad to hear it was a simple fix - ive had more issues on a car I bought of a mate in work although neither of us could have predicted them lol

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Do you have to stand over a car if sold privately though ? I thought it was bought on condition and once cash is exchanged then it's the new owners problem ?

In saying that I sold my 320d and it shat the turbo less than 2 days later, we went half whack on it and everyone was happy.

pablo

RMS Moderator
i think if you blatently lie about problems you might have some comeback. you couldnt mask a turbo about to pop too easily.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Mine boosted fine no smoke no oil use etc. was a tiny whistle when cold. But all was fine and he was happy at going halfers

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
What has it to do with the sellers employer though? From what I can see the seller used their name to create reassurance in the sale and that's about it. The OP didn't buy the car from the dealer.

I'd say the seller got a right roasting over it anyway from his employer

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
Bit of an update :

The car is running sweet as a nut now! My home insurance contacted me and said that basically I don't have a leg to stand on legally for any comeback on the car or the money it took to fix - despite what the guy told me. I'm a bit gutted but not entirely surprised - take it on the chin and move on!

Dave..

RMS Regular
Bit of an update :

The car is running sweet as a nut now! My home insurance contacted me and said that basically I don't have a leg to stand on legally for any comeback on the car or the money it took to fix - despite what the guy told me. I'm a bit gutted but not entirely surprised - take it on the chin and move on!

Lesson learned, enjoy the car [emoji106]

pablo

RMS Moderator
Bit of an update :

nice one - best forgotten then and dont let it sour porsche ownership :grinning:

Ive a GT3 splitter here if youre wanting to smarten the front up a little? :grinning:

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
nice one - best forgotten then and dont let it sour porsche ownership :grinning:

Ive a GT3 splitter here if youre wanting to smarten the front up a little? :grinning:
It might have to be next month, but send me a PM with a price anyway!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Good you got it sorted.
I'd breathe and move on telling myself that one day soon, Karma will meet your trusted seller and set the balance level again.

mattblair

RMS Regular
OP
mattblair
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
Another interesting development! I got an email this morning from the sellers solicitor claiming a 'campaign of harassment directed towards (the seller) him, his colleges and sales director'

LOL. I spoke to the solicitor I have with my home insurance and they said it sounds like he's done this before and that I should just ignore the email completely.

What. A. Knob.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.