Car Insurance increases

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Hate renewal time.

All one date as I'd a multi-policy with Admiral who I've been with since 2019 but this year they put the prices up a good bit on the Mini and the House and wouldn't really budge much on price, so had to split everything up and a bit of extra faff, but needed to as £200 difference in the end.

Kept the modified cars with Admiral as nobody else could get near them. The Mini went to 1st Central (via Uswitch) +o( and house went to MBNA (via comparethemarket) who were way cheaper than everywhere else I'd checked and 0% DD which was really handy. Some cashback via Quidco should help too, if they're accepted.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
my 3.0d x5 is gonna be around £3200 this year. i’m 37.
yet my 4.2 v8 s6 is gonna be £900. makes absolutely no sense at all
No matter how much I loved it I think id be selling at that money, my similarly aged Range Rover is only £400, 3200 seems insane.

E39530D

RMS Regular
No matter how much I loved it I think id be selling at that money, my similarly aged Range Rover is only £400, 3200 seems insane.
She’ll be going when the audi’s back in the road, i’ve only been back driving a year or so, so knew it’d be disgusting for a while but with the increases in the past year it’s not as justifiable anymore.
i’ve spent so much money on her and she’s one of the good x5’s left so don’t want to loose her either as i won’t get another.
As someone who worked in insurance for a whack of years, it’s all going a bit insane

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Direct Line have just told me the Tesla is now a group higher than it was last year, which might be tricky as it was group 50.

They're still a few hundred off a Compare the Market quote so they still get bent.

e320mark

RMS Regular
Direct Line have just told me the Tesla is now a group higher than it was last year, which might be tricky as it was group 50.

They're still a few hundred off a Compare the Market quote so they still get bent.
I thought insurance groups only went as high as 50 now

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
AXA wouldn't insure me without 5 years NCB. Mrs Rocko had a bump 4 years ago on my policy,

They do 🤷‍♂️
Sounds like they've found a new way of screwing us over.
Christopher Guest These Go To Eleven GIF by Maudit

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Renewal in at £1100 on the X5 compared to last years premium of £500. I realise I’ve done a load more miles than I had anticipated too, does anyone know if exceeding the mileage ever had an effect on claims?

I recall 1 company years ago that asked for the current mileage when you took out the policy, but for years now I’ve never been asked for the reading so how could they know what you’ve actually done in the year?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Renewal in at £1100 on the X5 compared to last years premium of £500. I realise I’ve done a load more miles than I had anticipated too, does anyone know if exceeding the mileage ever had an effect on claims?

I recall 1 company years ago that asked for the current mileage when you took out the policy, but for years now I’ve never been asked for the reading so how could they know what you’ve actually done in the year?

I get the impression that some companies happily take your money and then if/when you need them they put the leg work into investigating things like that. Others seem to be more up front about asking about mileage.

Service records and most obviously MOT history wouldn’t be difficult to obtain.

My classic policies ask for mileage each year upon renewal. No ‘proof’ as such, just the number. Presumably they’ll do some deeper digging on the authenticity of that if I ever make a claim.

E39530D

RMS Regular
I get the impression that some companies happily take your money and then if/when you need them they put the leg work into investigating things like that. Others seem to be more up front about asking about mileage.

Service records and most obviously MOT history wouldn’t be difficult to obtain.

My classic policies ask for mileage each year upon renewal.
I worked in commercial claims for years and we never investigated mileage. We didn’t have the time to even consider that 😂

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I worked in commercial claims for years and we never investigated mileage. We didn’t have the time to even consider that 😂

Surprised at that to be honest surely it’s an easy way to decline a claim. In saying that you’re only really at risk once you’ve exceeded that mileage, and it’s an estimate after all so probably not that material.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR

Classic policies that are limited mileage will ask for proof and obviously going over would invalidate any claim.

But I can’t see how a normal policy could do anything with the mileage, for a start its an estimate its not limited, and the effect on the price is minimal which tells you the weight put behind it.

I wouldn’t be giving it any thought unless we are talking double the miles you stated.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I've a multicar policy with three cars on it. Last year was around £880 for the three (cars chopping and changing every now and again). Got the renewal through there for £980. I rang Admiral and told them I haven't rang anywhere else yet, but I'm happy with their service so if there's anything they could do to bring it down a bit I'd be happy enough to just stick with them.

20mins on the phone and they got the policy down to £834 for the year. Seems I'm the only person with a positive insurance result!

e320mark

RMS Regular
I renewed mine last week which ended up down in last year, only because my wife works in the industry & I get a bit of discount! Still too expensive for a 9 ye old mini though!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I've a multicar policy with three cars on it. Last year was around £880 for the three (cars chopping and changing every now and again). Got the renewal through there for £980. I rang Admiral and told them I haven't rang anywhere else yet, but I'm happy with their service so if there's anything they could do to bring it down a bit I'd be happy enough to just stick with them.

20mins on the phone and they got the policy down to £834 for the year. Seems I'm the only person with a positive insurance result!
I had tye same from them for some cars but others jumped a fair bit.

Ps they’ve cut the amount of temporary cars you can add, max 120 days now. One of the best bits of the policy for me, was adding cars for a month for £12 last year.