Car Insurance increases

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Got a quote on confused.com, valid for 6 days. Wanted to hold off to makesure the flights etc were definitely going to Scotland to pick up the car before buying the insurance. Went online to accept the quote and it increased £150. Phoned the insurance people and was like it's a held/valid quote for 6 days. The woman was telling me, but now you're buying the car and it's an active market I need to re run the quote 😡😡😡 absolute con the insurance market is

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
I can drive any car 3rd party except for the wife's. I have to be named on the policy to be able to drive it as it is part of the same household. I think they are making up rules to extort more money out of us all...

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I can drive any car 3rd party except for the wife's. I have to be named on the policy to be able to drive it as it is part of the same household. I think they are making up rules to extort more money out of us all...
I feel like had always been the way? Wife and I have always had to have each other as named drivers on our policies.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

Mines the same, even if it did allow me to drive other cars...

1712575993578.png

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No mention of it with mine.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 06.47.50.png

Just goes to show how careful you need to be.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Because I've had to change company this year, I could have got caught out too but read through the fine print. I used to have flex drive with Sterling which meant I could drive other cars fully comp.

But since I've changed company I at least assumed i would have 3rd party cover at least. I asked if I could add it onto the policy and they said they couldn't. They said they would have to cancel and restart the policy with lots of additional costs. She found it wasn't too expensive to have me added to her policy though so we just don't that instead.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Im due to renew my classic policy next month. Will be interested to see how much it will increase on a car that only does around 300 mile a year.

Was £120 last year and that included a £30 admin fee :joy:

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Renewal in at £1100 on the X5 compared to last years premium of £500. I realise I’ve done a load more miles than I had anticipated too, does anyone know if exceeding the mileage ever had an effect on claims?

I recall 1 company years ago that asked for the current mileage when you took out the policy, but for years now I’ve never been asked for the reading so how could they know what you’ve actually done in the year?

Never been asked for proof of mileage, ever.

Greenlight wanted a photo of my odometer, along with my licence counterpart and something else I can't remember, when I took out the policy. They ask me for a new odometer photo at renewal too.

It only went up £50 last renewal in November, under £500 for the year and a good hundred cheaper than the lowest price on the Meerkats. I'd send them a d*** pic if they only put it up £50 this year again.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Renewal in at £1100 on the X5 compared to last years premium of £500. I realise I’ve done a load more miles than I had anticipated too, does anyone know if exceeding the mileage ever had an effect on claims?

I recall 1 company years ago that asked for the current mileage when you took out the policy, but for years now I’ve never been asked for the reading so how could they know what you’ve actually done in the year?

Ended up getting it for £594 even with an additional 4000miles. That’s both x5 and Passat with Tesco now.

I’ve been with Cornmarket for years through the IAM scheme, but despite their tag line of being able to beat other quotes- they can’t even get close these days. Best they could offer was £900 today!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Greenlight wanted a photo of my odometer, along with my licence counterpart and something else I can't remember, when I took out the policy. They ask me for a new odometer photo at renewal too.

It only went up £50 last renewal in November, under £500 for the year and a good hundred cheaper than the lowest price on the Meerkats. I'd send them a d*** pic if they only put it up £50 this year again.

Surely someone else could drive it and rack up miles which isn’t you. Dunno how they would prove or disprove it against you?

Got my renewal in today. £1200 for the RR.

Think it was around £700 last year. Had a quick look on compare the market. Still £1100

E39530D

RMS Regular
Surprised at that to be honest surely it’s an easy way to decline a claim. In saying that you’re only really at risk once you’ve exceeded that mileage, and it’s an estimate after all so probably not that material.
It would surprise you what it actually takes to decline a claim. I declined one in my entire time and it’s because a large haulier had let a 19 year old drive for them although he was under 21 and the policy was 21 and over, we asked for additional competency testing which would have allowed him as a named exception which he failed and they let him truck in anyway. It really does take a lot to just reject one 😊

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Ended up getting it for £594 even with an additional 4000miles. That’s both x5 and Passat with Tesco now.

I’ve been with Cornmarket for years through the IAM scheme, but despite their tag line of being able to beat other quotes- they can’t even get close these days. Best they could offer was £900 today!
I’ve recently switched to Tesco after they quoted me nearly £600 (at £570) less than AbbeyAutoline (at £1148), who were the next cheapest for me.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
My son's got his license near and year and will have 1 years NCB next week and his renewal is dearer than last year starting off.

****s.

Vw86

RMS Regular
It would surprise you what it actually takes to decline a claim. I declined one in my entire time and it’s because a large haulier had let a 19 year old drive for them although he was under 21 and the policy was 21 and over, we asked for additional competency testing which would have allowed him as a named exception which he failed and they let him truck in anyway. It really does take a lot to just reject one 😊
I previously worked for an insurance company and declined at least 1 claim per day.

colin84

RMS Regular
My traders policy is up for renewal, been with AXA for 15 years and the price has pretty much never changed. This year they are quoting £500 more than last year.