Wheel arch dented and chipped during wheel alignment.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I think KevM has got completely confused by the two different setups tbh and I assume he uses the set up that slips between the TYRE and the ARCH rather than the type that clamps between the TYRE and the WHEEL.
I can easily see how the set up with the prongs that clamps between wheel and tyre would damage it. Not sure how the operator couldn't see that if he turned the wheel with them mounted on a lowered car.

Agreed. Thought the pics showed that clearly enough. Also don;t understand your attitude @KevM

You don't work for ******, do you? Funnily enough the manager's name I dealt with was Kevin. He was either very ignorant of the causes, or god help him, not that bright because even me with no experience of this stuff was able to prove all the points he was making to clear ******* of blame, to be utter bull crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Marc's pic is similar to the gauges used, except with 3 slot for the pins rather than 2.

KevM

RMS Regular
Also don;t understand your attitude @KevM

No attitude, but it just seems that unless we are either sympathising or reassuring you, we arent welcome to challenge your thoughts or decision, despite it being an open discussion forum and us having very limited biased third-party information and a few blurry images!

If its a rim clamp rig, then forces other than gravity do apply, yes. & yes, I was assuming they were the hanger type (blurry images & lack of info).
But, as the guy says, if its the same equipment on both sides, why only one arch? The drivers side wheel has the equipment on at an angle, which would seem to be where the damage is on the passenger arch, yet its side is fitted virtually vertical. Why did the clamp not pop off the side that contacted? Did you notice anyone reattach the equipment on the passenger side? Is the paint broken on the wheel rim itself?

& no, Im not Kevin from ****** tyres. I stopped fitting tyres around 15 years ago :grinning:

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
It is possible for the clamp to hit the arch like that for sure on a lowered car with that particular model of alignnment gauge, though you would def know you have done it and feel the resistance. Though it's a very hard one to call as to weather it was done by them, But it is defiantly possible
The reason for them steering side to side at the start of the process is for the system to work out the castor.

I am not big into slating over social media, my advice would be go to the overall manager off both the depots or the MD of the company and hopefully it can be resolved for you

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The reason for them steering side to side at the start of the process is for the system to work out the castor.

Surely with a big bulky system photographed, you'd never get enough turn on the wheel to get an accurate measurement of castor....without the unit hitting the car.

ie that system doesnt look like it is capable of getting a castor measurement due to the overhangs ?

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
Surely with a big bulky system photographed, you'd never get enough turn on the wheel to get an accurate measurement of castor....without the unit hitting the car.

ie that system doesnt look like it is capable of getting a castor measurement due to the overhangs ?

The actual alignment system and the computer is very good. The clamp on that system ain't though. As it is designed to fit on to 14inch wheel right up to a 23 inch wheel, which is the cheapest way to spec it. The best option is to have 2 clamps one for a 14inch to 18 inch wheels and another for anything above. Meaning the clamps will never fowl the wheel arch no matter how low it is. And Yep you are right with that design of clamp you will struggle to get on enough lock, on the castor swing to get an accurate reading.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The actual alignment system and the computer is very good. The clamp on that system ain't though. As it is designed to fit on to 14inch wheel right up to a 23 inch wheel, which is the cheapest way to spec it. The best option is to have 2 clamps one for a 14inch to 18 inch wheels and another for anything above. Meaning the clamps will never fowl the wheel arch no matter how low it is. And Yep you are right with that design of clamp you will struggle to get on enough lock, on the castor swing to get an accurate reading.

The clamps used wouldn't have hit the arches if they'd been adjusted properly. If the pins were in the outer most of the 3 mounts they would have been perfectly clear, but as the below pic shows the pins were in the middle:

image_zpss6l6xmfh.jpg

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
The clamps used wouldn't have hit the arches if they'd been adjusted properly. If the pins were in the outer most of the 3 mounts they would have been perfectly clear, but as the below pic shows the pins were in the middle:

It's been s brave while since I used that style of clamp and usually when the pins are in the outermost holes it won't mount onto that size of wheel. Though the design could have changed as to stop that problem happening, as that looks like a very recent machine

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
??? How would vertical gravity come into play on that one??

it uses the 4 pins as contact points on the rim to take a level of your wheel and in turn, aim the laser

Here's a better pic of a 'complete' rig

image.php

I get the impression you have made up your mind before you posted this topic, so yeah, throw the book at them if it makes you feel better about the situation.

What's so hard to understand?

The clamp that Ian posted gets secured to the rim. It's tightened to THE RIM; I doesn't go over the tyre, around the tyre, through the tyre or get mounted to the tyre at all.

The levelling rig itself is secured to the centre of that clamp and floats freely, until it's level and screwed tight.

I imagine, in this case, the operator has mounted the rigs to each wheel, THEN went to fit the steering wheel locking mechanism before seeing that the steering wheel isn't straight. In order to straighten the steering wheel, he has used quite a bit of force (which you would expect to have to do on a stationary car that's turned off in any instance) and the rig has come in contact with the wing, resulting in damage.

There's no reason to doubt that the damage could have been caused during alignment. It would have been down to operative error though, and not down to poorly designed equipment, which is what this debate seems to have turned in to.

Personally, I would go and speak to whoever owns the place and try to come up with a reasonable solution before going any further. It's not out of the question that this could have happened during the alignment process, so they can hardly point blank refuse to be reasonable, especially as you have already proven the manager to be full of crap and somewhat unaware of the process that takes place under his management.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.