2014 Audi A4 Avant B8

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Car dropped off. TBF they've accepted the problem with no worries and will be looking at changing the faulty injector(s), and/or any other related issues.

Is it one of the emissions scandal cars? The update puts the injectors under higher strain as far as I remember. Our 1.6tdi company Passats blew loads of injectors after being 'updated' following the scandal, I pulled VW over it as they tried to charge our company and said no-one else was having problems, but the forums said otherwise. From what I remember the injectors gave shorter pulses of fuel, but more often for a cleaner burn, which puts them under higher strain. I believe the replacement injectors are an updated part however to cope with it.

Would put me off a VAG car of that age tbh, unless it never had the update, or had all injectors replaced. When mine failed, i was towing a caravan at the time and had to get back home on limp mode. Drove to VW the next day at 6am because the car had next to no power, had to get from dundonald to mallusk. Couldn't use the motorway due to low speed, and barely had the power to make it up the hill on the upper hightown road. My work refused to ever pay for towing or recovery lol, could have done with it then.

At least once they're changed though, they never give any more hassle.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
I asked him to change them all.

Got a flat refusal - he said he'd change what was broken.

Fair enough. Checked with Belfast Audi this morning for any outstanding recalls - none.

Dealer did try to say it was probably the ECU - nope.

Then tried saying dirty injectors - again, nope!! I had put some injector cleaner in it the day I took it back home.

Also the lack of power going up hills - massively increased fuel consumption, and - oh yeah - then puddles of fuel around the injector tops!

So he said fair enough - and he'd get two sorted for as soon as he can.

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
I asked him to change them all.

Got a flat refusal - he said he'd change what was broken.

Fair enough. Checked with Belfast Audi this morning for any outstanding recalls - none.

Dealer did try to say it was probably the ECU - nope.

Then tried saying dirty injectors - again, nope!! I had put some injector cleaner in it the day I took it back home.

Also the lack of power going up hills - massively increased fuel consumption, and - oh yeah - then puddles of fuel around the injector tops!

So he said fair enough - and he'd get two sorted for as soon as he can.
Think he change all the seals and injectors as if there’s issues with 2 how long before the other two go

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Think he change all the seals and injectors as if there’s issues with 2 how long before the other two go
I'd like to think he would, but he told me flat that he'll only change what's broken.

Small business, tight margins etc - that I can understand.

That said - if the other two go soon, I can always say 'told you so'.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Picked the car up from the dealer.

Seems the clamp that was holding the No'1 & 2 injectors had worked loose. Dealer showed me a video that the mechanic had taken. Certainly accounts for the issue I was having, with fuel sitting on top of the injectors. That's also why it was losing performance when trying to 'press on'

Gave the car a bit of a 'stress test' on the way back, Glenshane pass was good a place as any as there was no traffic when I went through. Pulled into the Ponderosa car park at the top, lifted bonnet and engine cover. Dry as a bone. Pick up is far better, as is economy - as is the ability to hold speed in 6th gear. No noticeable vibrations either - well not for a diesel engine. The torque pick up in 6th is night and day.

Feels like a new car tbh - I know its not, but the engine (so far) seems peachy now.

I'm honestly glad, because had there been the slightest indication of fuel on top of the engine at the top of the Glenshane pass, I would have been heading back to reject the car.

Happy days. Just in time for the run up to the airport tomorrow!

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Picked the car up from the dealer.

Seems the clamp that was holding the No'1 & 2 injectors had worked loose. Dealer showed me a video that the mechanic had taken. Certainly accounts for the issue I was having, with fuel sitting on top of the injectors. That's also why it was losing performance when trying to 'press on'

Gave the car a bit of a 'stress test' on the way back, Glenshane pass was good a place as any as there was no traffic when I went through. Pulled into the Ponderosa car park at the top, lifted bonnet and engine cover. Dry as a bone. Pick up is far better, as is economy - as is the ability to hold speed in 6th gear. No noticeable vibrations either - well not for a diesel engine. The torque pick up in 6th is night and day.

Feels like a new car tbh - I know its not, but the engine (so far) seems peachy now.

I'm honestly glad, because had there been the slightest indication of fuel on top of the engine at the top of the Glenshane pass, I would have been heading back to reject the car.

Happy days. Just in time for the run up to the airport tomorrow!
Glad was simple fix buddy and car is driving better

bludgod

RMS Regular
Drives
STI
Anywhere in particular, or just a box fitted under the bonnet?

Sorry only catching up now - remap was through the OBD port - read the current map off, alter and adjust then flash back on with a bit of logging/checking with VCDS before and after to confirm all is well.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Sorry only catching up now - remap was through the OBD port - read the current map off, alter and adjust then flash back on with a bit of logging/checking with VCDS before and after to confirm all is well.
I was looking a used tuning box from eBay, but got sniped at the last second. 8-(

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Update time:

Car still running well. Been solid since the injector fix. Well it was.

Took a run down the Ards peninsula at the weekend. Fairly sure one of the bearings is on its way out, only a slight drone when turning left, but its there.

Where's the best place locally to get Audi spares at a decent price?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Update time:

Car still running well. Been solid since the injector fix. Well it was.

Took a run down the Ards peninsula at the weekend. Fairly sure one of the bearings is on its way out, only a slight drone when turning left, but its there.

Where's the best place locally to get Audi spares at a decent price?
@Woodcutter at P&C ballymoney, Coverdale car parts if you want genuine. They are on fakebook/ have a website and do quick postage on genuine.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
@Rigger i will be coming through ballymoney heading home tomorrow if you need anything collected from @Woodcutter
All good at the moment bud. Car is in with Marc and Polished and Waxed until Thursday morning. Until I can get the car jacked up and check which bearing is shot, then no point ordering stuff just yet.

That said - thanks for the offer!!

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Picked up from Marc @Polished and Waxed. Met @300trophy who gave him a hand.

Needless to say, they smashed it out the park again!!!

IMG-20220831-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220831-WA0004.jpg

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
That looks great, he's bit of a genius on that front.
I see he's played the windscreen wiper trick on you.... :joy:

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Darker nights now - and I'm noticing the headlights for the A4 are dire - like really bad.

Anyone got recommendations for brighter lights, unit change out possibly?

Need and idea on costs as well please if anyone has done a conversion or the likes?

Thanks in advance.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
B8.5 facelift Technik.
Not entirely sure. Someone mentioned it being a B8.5
Seems like pain in hole.

I’d say, see @Woodcutter for some good upgraded bulbs.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.