2014 Audi A4 Avant B8

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Set of Osram nightbreakers? That’s if she runs regular bulbs.
Cheers, I'll have a look tomorrow.
B8.5 facelift Technik.

Seems like pain in hole.

I’d say, see @Woodcutter for some good upgraded bulbs.
Nice one pal, I'll see what this is going to cost, but glad that there's a thread somewhere explaining the whole shebang (y)

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Not much light off them.
Sorry @Boydie, he's got a point;)

Might go for a set of Tornado alloys in time, but it's only a daily, and it cost £600 to put the new rubber on all round, and they're also next to new.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Decent set of LED might just do it.
The ones I got for the MGB have a really good cut-off and don't just splatter the light everywhere.
Also, they were reassuringly expensive, which is what you need for an Audi....

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
Evening Rigger,

Picked up a saloon like yours a month ago, did you ever do the stone repairs?

Have quite a few I’d hope to fix but not sure if it’s an easy DIY job or what to go for. Did you use ChipEx?

Thanks

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Evening Rigger,

Picked up a saloon like yours a month ago, did you ever do the stone repairs?

Have quite a few I’d hope to fix but not sure if it’s an easy DIY job or what to go for. Did you use ChipEx?

Thanks
I didn't in the end, no.

Car got a respray to the affected area, then detail with ceramic coating.

From previous cars I've found chippex to be quite good. You just need to be patient and apply a bit at a time, then blend in final coat.

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
I didn't in the end, no.

Car got a respray to the affected area, then detail with ceramic coating.

From previous cars I've found chippex to be quite good. You just need to be patient and apply a bit at a time, then blend in final coat.
Thanks think I’ll give it a miss, pretty sure I’ll make a hash of it. Both mine and my wife’s need quite a few spots done, maybe even doing them and getting both bonnets sprayed. Would rather leave it all to a pro!

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Thanks think I’ll give it a miss, pretty sure I’ll make a hash of it. Both mine and my wife’s need quite a few spots done, maybe even doing them and getting both bonnets sprayed. Would rather leave it all to a pro!
If you're near Bangor, then give Paintworkz a call. Happy enough with the job they did on my rear bumper.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Update, not much happening to the daily.

Bearings got sorted by Mark at Contract Autos, Green Road, Bangor while I was away last trip. Hub carrier was fecked, so cost a bit more 🤥

In the end, 3 bearings had gone, so said to Mark to just replace all 4. Also two rear shocks were leaking, so the daily got a good bit spent on it.

Car was MOT'd this evening in Armagh. Was a pleasant drive down. Opted to carry on to the Dungannon junction and drive down, glad I did - nice road, though helps it was quiet.
Most pleasant part of the evening was getting a pass with no advisories!!

So taxed (£35) and MOT'd for another year.

Car had a wobble at 58 and a smell of rubber - thought something was rubbing, but seems perfectly fine now. Will take to @RubberLover at Ivan Kerrs to get it checked for any loose weights when I get back from next thankfully short trip.

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
Update, not much happening to the daily.

Bearings got sorted by Mark at Contract Autos, Green Road, Bangor while I was away last trip. Hub carrier was fecked, so cost a bit more 🤥

In the end, 3 bearings had gone, so said to Mark to just replace all 4. Also two rear shocks were leaking, so the daily got a good bit spent on it.

Car was MOT'd this evening in Armagh. Was a pleasant drive down. Opted to carry on to the Dungannon junction and drive down, glad I did - nice road, though helps it was quiet.
Most pleasant part of the evening was getting a pass with no advisories!!

So taxed (£35) and MOT'd for another year.

Car had a wobble at 58 and a smell of rubber - thought something was rubbing, but seems perfectly fine now. Will take to @RubberLover at Ivan Kerrs to get it checked for any loose weights when I get back from next thankfully short trip.
Mark at contract autos hard to beat

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Mark at contract autos hard to beat
Aye, agreed. @Statler recommended him a good while ago.

Still wondering what caused the vibration and hot rubber smell at 58mph in way to MOT. Tester didn't find anything, like I said, not even any advisories.

Will get it checked when I get back Tuesday/Wednesday.

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Went to see @RubberLover @ivan Kerr's in Bangor. Two wheels needed the weights redone, and also got alignment rechecked.

Did the trick and car is now driving rumble, vibration and shake free.

Just need to change gear knob, thanks @Boydie for the link.

Hopefully get it properly washed over the weekend.
Which gear knob did you go for?

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
This is the link I was given

By the way - bit late - but this one doesn't fit mine.
The original has a bit of a curve at the top of the frame - this one is just a basic flat one.

Will need to try and find one that matches properly.

Anyways - after having bearings, shocks and weights done, more money.

This time after getting the wheels weights sorted - all good, until a few miles later and massive judders at 60. WTF?

Took it to Mark at Contract Autos on Green Road again - binding caliper. FFS.

Offside = 80C after a run back from Belfast. Nearside - 240C. So rather than fart about, doing one at a time, I asked Mark to change both.

Hopefully tomorrow, with the new wheels bought from @Darren91(thank you again!!) , @RubberLover will do his thang, and the car should be perfect.

Plan then is to sell on the Bridgestone and Conti tyres - while I get the old alloys refurbed in Dundonald.

Won't be ready for a while yet though.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Looking so much better with a fresh set of alloys. Thanks again to @Darren91 for the wheels and @RubberLover for getting the Michelin Cross Climate 2s switched over to the new alloys, balanced and fitted (y) (y) (y)
20230523_104514.jpg

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
The A4 has been running well.

Decided to go for the Osram night breakers seeing as the clocks will be changing shortly.

The originals were dire. Changed both dipped and main beams. Should make a decent difference.

Also changed the air filter as the mpg was getting a bit worse.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
No real updates as such. Car just plodding along nicely.

Impending engine explosion about to happen if you believe the car salesmen
1000041443.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
In fairness it’s had a right few parts fitted in the past few months so maybe there’s some truth in it 😂

I’ve an A4 there myself with similar mileage. Fortunately the previous owner got all the big bills and it has been reasonably OK for me in the 5 or so years I’ve had it.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
In fairness it’s had a right few parts fitted in the past few months so maybe there’s some truth in it 😂

I’ve an A4 there myself with similar mileage. Fortunately the previous owner got all the big bills and it has been reasonably OK for me in the 5 or so years I’ve had it.
Aye, it has - suspension, bearings and a carrier hub. Hopefully nothing else goes majorly wrong. Bushes are the next thing to be replaced. Shouldn't be a major expense 🤞

Thankfully being a manual gearbox shouldn't be any hassles there. I've heard the auto box can be expensive for oil changes. If anything like the ZF box on the XJR.
1000041444.jpg

Engine living on borrowed time now - apparently.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.