ace275's Subaru Legacy JDM Twinscroll Manual

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Class! Long wait for it but there’s a lot of enjoyment in the anticipation as well.

Get it lanoguarded or similar asap
Already undersealed and cavity waxed by Torque GT, just need to fit my goodies 😁

Will certainly be keeping on top of it, make sure it's always protected and cleaned after each winter

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Got home today at 7am from the boat, and got stuck straight in

Removed the Panasonic headunit, along with everything connected to it in some form. Couldn't believe not only how much stuff was with it, but how heavy everything was! There was a satellite unit under the driver's seat and a radio unit under the passenger seat too. Somehow, even the toll card thing was part of it

IMG_20230624_190442.jpg

Replaced with the Sony headunit I had in the 3.0r car, and fitted a 4channel amp under the driver's seat, and a under seat sub under the passenger seat. I realise the irony of just giving off about the old kit then mounting stuff where they were removed from 😂

IMG_20230624_165307.jpg

IMG_20230624_165310.jpg

Focal speakers to be fitted whenever I find the time to 3d print some speaker spacers

Also got the rays wheels fitted. The weight difference between the rays and the OEM wheels was definitely very noticeable

IMG_20230624_210707__01.jpg

IMG_20230624_210651__01.jpg

Still to fit:
-Whiteline rear anti roll bar & strengthening plates
-Front strut brace
-Rear k2 gear backboxes
-Upgraded brakes
-Braided hoses
-New speakers
-Map for 97 petrol

Great all rounder so far!

Gambit

RMS Regular
Class big bus 🙂 still look so fresh on roads I think

Yeah 97ron map is defo less hassle than having 99ron and running around trying to find a solo station!

Though @bludgod has seen some decent results with the new 95ron e5, pretty close to what 97 is giving. Though couldn't tell you if your car (or even mine) is e5 compliant 🤷‍♂️

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
That looks great I’m sure you are glad to get it home….please tell me they put clear underseal on it 😬

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
A wee touch of lowering would really work on that

Agree, 20-30mm would really help it, though it drives really well and the suspension feels comfortable yet capable, so I'm reluctant to make it stiffer, but I'll be looking into springs that will retain the feel of how it is now.

Class big bus 🙂 still look so fresh on roads I think

Yeah 97ron map is defo less hassle than having 99ron and running around trying to find a solo station!

Though @bludgod has seen some decent results with the new 95ron e5, pretty close to what 97 is giving. Though couldn't tell you if your car (or even mine) is e5 compliant 🤷‍♂️

Thanks, I've been chatting to @bludgod and will book it in with him very soon. Still have a tank of 99 in it from just before I got on the ferry, but once that's gone it'll be off the loud pedal until it's mapped

That looks great I’m sure you are glad to get it home….please tell me they put clear underseal on it 😬

They went black unfortunately, it's all they offered. But at least I have loads of pictures of the underneath. I could always have it removed and clear out on but probably not worth the hassle

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’d have left it bare and got it done somewhere else, wrecks me the way they put black stuff on, there’s no reason they can’t put clear on these days as there are more products on the market now, hopefully it wasn’t waxoyl either as it can do more harm than good. As you say at least you have before pics.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Agree, 20-30mm would really help it, though it drives really well and the suspension feels comfortable yet capable, so I'm reluctant to make it stiffer, but I'll be looking into springs that will retain the feel of how it is now.
Doesn't really work like that though. Lower = less travel = harder springs so as not forever hit the bump stops. Can't trick physics.

In the same bind with the Volvos. Have done all the suspension on Emma and it drives brilliantly on open roads, but definitely harder round pot holed and speed humped city streets than Olive that's still as it left the factory thirty years ago.

Must confess the soft and squidgy has its appeal, lol - sure sign of age 😅 But for most of the driving I do I prefer the harder/lower. Looks much better too.

Just depends what you plan to use it for, and where.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Doesn't really work like that though. Lower = less travel = harder springs so as not forever hit the bump stops. Can't trick physics.

In the same bind with the Volvos. Have done all the suspension on Emma and it drives brilliantly on open roads, but definitely harder round pot holed and speed humped city streets than Olive that's still as it left the factory thirty years ago.

Must confess the soft and squidgy has its appeal, lol - sure sign of age 😅 But for most of the driving I do I prefer the harder/lower. Looks much better too.

Just depends what you plan to use it for, and where.

Yes I somewhat expect no lowering springs to be as good an all rounder than the Bilstein setup on it now, it just needs the arch gap brought down a bit. I'll maybe try to get a run in a lowered one to see how it feels.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes I somewhat expect no lowering springs to be as good an all rounder than the Bilstein setup on it now, it just needs the arch gap brought down a bit. I'll maybe try to get a run in a lowered one to see how it feels.
Just realised you have the light Rays. That will make a big difference to the ride (in a good way).

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Just realised you have the light Rays. That will make a big difference to the ride (in a good way).

Whole reason I bought them! Super light for the size, and forged too. Not a huge fan of the style, but went for function over form with them

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Exhaust swapped for k2 gear rear backboxes. Nice subtle low note, whilst still fairly quiet. A nice alternative to the usual jap cans IMO

IMG_20230629_183722.jpg

IMG_20230629_185801__01.jpg

IMG_20230629_185749__01.jpg

Also I've been repainting the ends of the Cusco strut brace as they were a bit tatty, and nearly finished painting the Brembo brakes to be fitted

IMG_20230629_172802.jpg

Turns out vauxhall Arden blue is literally an exact colour match for Cusco blue! Can't tell the difference between the two!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Like these and like what you have done already!

Would you consider removing or changing the colour of the exhaust trims. Silver seems a bit old school and not in a good way lol

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Like these and like what you have done already!

Would you consider removing or changing the colour of the exhaust trims. Silver seems a bit old school and not in a good way lol

The bits on the bumper itself? I get what you're saying, if someone had have described them to me I'd have presumed I'd hate them and they'd be a bit "max power" but they've grown on me

They're hard to get and fairly expensive when they come up for sale so I'm reluctant to paint them to try

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think the silver actually works with the blue, and other trim on the car.

You could always paint them silver again if you changed your mind. Or try a wrap first, though getting it off again could ruin the original finish too.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Also I've been repainting the ends of the Cusco strut brace as they were a bit tatty, and nearly finished painting the Brembo brakes

Turns out vauxhall Arden blue is literally an exact colour match for Cusco blue! Can't tell the difference between the two!

What colour did you use for the brembos, I’ve found a very very close match for them. Humbrol metallic Brass 54, I’ve a couple of aerosols here for mine and they are only a few quid on eBay. Gonna give mine a rub down and a few coats then some new brembo stickers and a few layers of clear coat. Where did you get the brembo stickers? I could only find them I’m BNP Europe at £8 a pair

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
What colour did you use for the brembos, I’ve found a very very close match for them. Humbrol metallic Brass 54, I’ve a couple of aerosols here for mine and they are only a few quid on eBay. Gonna give mine a rub down and a few coats then some new brembo stickers and a few layers of clear coat. Where did you get the brembo stickers? I could only find them I’m BNP Europe at £8 a pair

Paint, Peugeot Plaze Yellow. I used 4 tins to paint all 4 calipers, though for 2 fronts I'd recommend at least 3. I seen a land rover Freelander in a gold that looked similar too

Stickers all 4 from BNE Europe £9:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yes blaze yellow was one of the colours mentioned that was close. Here’s a pic of the Humbrol brass metallic from scoobynet

IMG_1234.jpeg

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Yes blaze yellow was one of the colours mentioned that was close. Here’s a pic of the Humbrol brass metallic from scoobynet

View attachment 402469

I had also read the thread on the Humbrol paint which looked like an incredibly good match, but some said once it dried the colour seemed to change unfortunately. There was a post on a volvo forum saying they got the colour code as a Polestar colour, but I couldn't seem to find where to buy it. It was the exact stuff, with the code being for the brembo calipers themselves (Glasurit, MY060.50)

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Small update

Finished painting the brembo brakes. Annoyingly, I was putting a ceramic coating on them and one slipped out of my hand moving it, and it chipped when it fell. I've touched it in the best I can, but they will eventually chip being where they are so I'm trying not to be too bothered by it

IMG_20230701_103204.jpg

I've since touched it back in, but I'll re-ceramic them another time

I got the fronts fitted, which bolted straight in nicely, however I seem to have the wrong adapter bracket for the rear, so I've a new one in the post. The current bracket is flat, where it needs to be offset.

IMG_20230702_203926.jpg

I also attempted to fit the new larger brake master cylinder, but the bolt holes don't line up with the legacy booster, so I've also to get an Impreza STI brake booster ordered up

Whilst the car was in the air, I fitted the whiteline anti roll bar along with the reinforcing plates. I also painted the anti roll bar with POR15 as they're known for being fairly poorly painted from the factory

IMG_20230702_203939.jpg

Then finally, a trip to @big_pete at PMG Autocare to have some marks and scratches from over the years taken out of it, and any cloudiness in the headlights addressed. Pete left it looking amazing (As he always does)

IMG-20230704-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20230704-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230704-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20230704-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20230704-WA0015__01.jpg

IMG-20230704-WA0016__01.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The calipers still get marks and chips anyway soon enough so might as well get it over with 😇

Looking great there 😎

rhythmeister

RMS Regular
Drives
BL5 B4/Eunos
Are the STi springs more progressive than the OEM Bilstein ones maybe?