ace275's Subaru Legacy JDM Twinscroll Manual

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Is this IFZ? Saw a very similar 1 this afternoon there on the Outer Ring I think.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Think i was beside you at the roundabout at Ards shopping centre last week some evening. Was the gold wheels gave it away lol

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Think i was beside you at the roundabout at Ards shopping centre last week some evening. Was the gold wheels gave it away lol

I was in Helsinki last week, but I was in Ards Tuesday night the week before?

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Could have been tbh, completely forgot about it until now lol. Would have been around 4.30/5 ish

Yeah that could well be, I was on the roundabout a little after that. Back to the silver wheels shortly however! The bronze ones have the winter tyres on and they're just not as good round the corners.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Glad to be back driving this again after breaking my shoulder and being unable to drive a Manual,(Thus the automatic Freelander which I borrowed from a friend), so the weekend was the first time this had moved in a month.

Gave it a good clean and noticed someone has scuffed the back bumper on me in a carpark at some stage before I parked it up. Thankfully it mostly buffed out.

PXL_20240329_140844392.jpg

PXL_20240329_155243213.jpg

PXL_20240329_185328221.jpg

PXL_20240330_104137894.jpg

Got the gauge finished too

PXL_20240303_193357451.jpg

Thinking it's nearly time to put the summer wheels back on

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Picked another one up this weekend on eBay in Birmingham. It's a non runner, but was a decent price. It has a forged engine, but don't even know if that's good yet, but I'll give the fluids and timing belt a check before trying to start it.

They guy just said he parked it up for 8 months then it wouldn't start when he went to start it

1000045132.jpg

Gavlar

RMS Regular
There's one same colour as your dark blue has sat on Rashee Road in Ballyclare for months, maybe a year. Never moves. Could be worth a note

Edit: NOT the same colour lol

Screenshot_20240414_070521_com.google.android.apps.maps~2.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Picked another one up this weekend on eBay in Birmingham. It's a non runner, but was a decent price. It has a forged engine, but don't even know if that's good yet, but I'll give the fluids and timing belt a check before trying to start it.

They guy just said he parked it up for 8 months then it wouldn't start when he went to start it

View attachment 431113

How did you get it back home?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ah thought you’d found someone that could bring non runners over lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Messed with engine and non-runner sounds like bad news, lol 😇

Or maybe it just needs a fresh battery and fuel. About to find out!

Gambit

RMS Regular
That looks a bargain going by the receipts, nosied on ebay. Both thwaites & Williams are well known in the subaru circles

Have you a plan for it or just being greedy and like having 2 to choose from :grinning:

The silver is great for showing the lines of the car, still looks fresh today 👌

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
That looks a bargain going by the receipts, nosied on ebay. Both thwaites & Williams are well known in the subaru circles

Have you a plan for it or just being greedy and like having 2 to choose from :grinning:

The silver is great for showing the lines of the car, still looks fresh today 👌

Had a look at it today and maybe wasn't the bargain it seemed. Tested compression this morning and it's down on all cylinders, needs an engine rebuild. Hopefully nothing too major, but if the heads are good I'll use them on my forged build for the blue car and put the blue cars engine in the silver one when the blue one gets the forged one fitted

Still, worth a buy I think and it'll give me something to do with my own engine when it comes out

May as well start a thread for the silver car now, as I think this now counts as a project itself than a quick fix and flip

1000045169.jpg

1000045171.jpg

1000045172.jpg

1000045173.jpg

Gambit

RMS Regular
Had a look at it today and maybe wasn't the bargain it seemed. Tested compression this morning and it's down on all cylinders, needs an engine rebuild. Hopefully nothing too major, but if the heads are good I'll use them on my forged build for the blue car and put the blue cars engine in the silver one when the blue one gets the forged one fitted

Still, worth a buy I think and it'll give me something to do with my own engine when it comes out

May as well start a thread for the silver car now, as I think this now counts as a project itself than a quick fix and flip

View attachment 431160
View attachment 431161
View attachment 431162
View attachment 431163

The fact it's down on all 4 would say it's timing related. So take the timing covers off and have a look, might be lucky and just a tooth or two out, and isn't enough to cause valve train damage

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That or the valves haven't been lapped in. Amazing how many people don't bother and then wonder why they have low compression from the new build that they have spent a fortune on.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
The fact it's down on all 4 would say it's timing related. So take the timing covers off and have a look, might be lucky and just a tooth or two out, and isn't enough to cause valve train damage
I'll give that a check, I do have the cover off on one side to verify the belt was still there before I started it

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB

Gave it a check this evening, doesn't appear to be out and the belt it still pretty good. However - all the timing cover bolts were finger tight and some were missing 8o|

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
was that checking it against crank/oil pump notch mark or just the cam pulleys?
Against the top mark on the crank (after removing the pulley for the aux belts). Left hand might have been one tooth out it was hard to tell, but the right definitely looked absolutely spot on and it's the side that's got the worst compression

I'll have my engine spare once I build a new forged one anyway, so it can go into the silver car

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Might be worth stripping for parts? Just depends what other damage there might be. No way to know without opening it up.

Still not a bad buy with a good engine going spare anyway.