Alfa Red Giulia Quadrifoglio

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Lovely looking car that, paint looks great. That’s interesting about the PPF. I was going to get mine done as it’s had a respray and they are notorious for bad chips being so low, I’ve already noticed a few on the front of it and don’t want it to get peppered.

Just be wary that if you have to remove the ppf id it gets damaged etc there is a good chance it will lift clear coat with it so you see repainting anyway. I used to do ppf and have it on my own cars and I took it off as IMO it looks **** and is costlier overall than painting a panel.

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
In its natural habitat!
PXL_20231001_164421216.jpg

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
Very small mod, but makes a big difference.
The std trim around the shifter at the top has a sharp edge around the back of that would almost give you a paper cut. You can get a carbon inset piece to replace for £430 or something ridiculous, but I have stuck a thin Chinese alcantara trim over the original (£23)
Makes a massive difference to how it feels.

PXL_20231017_134638235.jpg

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
Through MOT yesterday, so thought I'd update 8 months (where did that go) ownership.

Believe it or not , this is the first RWD car I have ever owned (Other than field cars when I was a teenager)
So I decided a 503bhp one was a good one to start on!
4500miles covered in those 8 months (and 600 of those were getting it home). It tends to come out weekends mostly,
And very few of those miles are mundane nip down to the shops/ only comuted in it a few times.

I had to get used to wheelspin!
Have driven predominantlely 4wd for 20 odd years - so this has meant I've taken my time to get used to it!!!
On dry warmish roads there really isn't an issue, but dry days have been hard to come by since about July, and in the
wet/cold it really feels like its always trying to kill you!

The Engine.
What can I say. It is a masterpiece.
With the Exhaust flaps set to open on the over-ride switch, every single time you fire it up is an event.
It pulls everywhere in the rev range, and also revs out freely, with the odd crack and pop on up and down changes.
Close the exhaust flaps, and you could transport your Mum/Gran whoever and they wouldn't complain.
Has averaged about 24mpg over the 4500miles

The Gearbox.
Its grand, but I would rather have a manual or snappier dual clutch. Great shifts up and down (with a blip everytime) when it flappy paddle mode,
especially in in Dynamic and Race.
In auto mode in N or A its a smooth boring auto. Still don't understand why it needs 8 gears!!!

Suspension.
N or A models (Comfort/Econony) Way more comfortable than I ever thought it would be. Rivals my wifes allroad at smoothing out the road.
Put it in dynamic, and it really tightens the car up, controls the body better.
(The main gripe I would have is vertical damping control - the front suspension can get a bit out of sync with a big bump or hollow)
Race - I havn't really driven it much in race - I find it too extreme for our roads + there is zero traction control in race. Suspension tightens up again - but the vertical damping
thing still exists, just reduced)

How it looks.
Still find myself going out the garage just to have a look at it, especially when clean.
To my eyes its the nicest looking 4 door saloon out there. And Red with all the Carbon details and the Grey wheels / Yellow brakes is the best combo I think.
The ceramic coating by @big_pete is making cleaning it very easy - the dirt really flies off it with citriclean prewash from @Big Pimp and a good jetwashing, leaving very little to be wash mitted off. Also having good results with rinsing it off with DI vessel - again from @BigPimp - stick it in garage and let it dry naturally without spotting.

Problems/Costs.
Nothing really. Put petrol it and driven it, apart from the front bumper ppf probs.
The first couple to months I had it, the active front splitter gave a few errors, I'm hoping it was just a bit sticky from not much use, as it hasn't given any errors for months now.
The steering ackerman angle makes manouvering in tight spaces a bit of a chore. (they all do that sir)
The fly-by-wire brakes I have got used to, but are still tricky in a tight space / maneuvering.
The brakes themsleves are very strong.

Biggest problem is how much of the performance you get to access on our roads, thats not the cars fault!!!

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Certainly a great car to own.

Any car with that much performance is hard to use on the roads. It has me thinking that a lightweight, lower power build with a cracking high revving engine and proper suspension and ride height to tackle bumpy backroads is probably the way forward for engaging fun.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's a great summary of QV ownership mate, would agree with all points!

Glad you're still enjoying it 👍🏻

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
Put a fresh set of Michelin PS4S on her today - It's like driving a different car. The difference in the traction they are finding is incredible.
I suspected the pirelli P-Zero tyres on it (not corsas) were a bit rubbish, but they had plenty of tread on them and I left them on, should have went with my gut last year and changed them.

Last edited:

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
In Donnellys Mallusk (The only Alfa Dealer in NI) for Annual Service. (Just an oil change on this one)

First time I've had it in anywhere since I bought it, and came back with a completely clean bill of helath, apart form the brakes are 60% worn.

Happy days!

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
The front 'scudetto' V on the grill had taken a beating, and it was becoming apparent it was a cheap Chinese stick on piece over the original Aluminium one
1000018766.jpg

A bit of hairdrying later it was off, held on with thin double sided tape.
After much swearing and finger rubbed to near blisters using sticky stuff remover and heat from the hairdryer the original Aluminium finish came up pretty well.

1000018764.jpg

I had already got a new much higher quality Koshi slip on carbon one from TMC Motorsport in Dundonald (Didn't know about these guys, really handy to have them locally for all parts from now on). Now not sure whether to stick it on or run with the Ally finish for a while for a bit of a change.

1000018767.jpg

1000018768.jpg

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I like the carbon personally, plus id say the aluminium will tarnish and corrode in no time at all. Your heart would be broke trying to keep it in good nick

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
I like the carbon personally, plus id say the aluminium will tarnish and corrode in no time at all. Your heart would be broke trying to keep it in good nick
Yeah I've decided on the carbon - trying to find some really thin double sided tap to fix it on - I could bond it on, but there would be no going back then

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Yeah I've decided on the carbon - trying to find some really thin double sided tap to fix it on - I could bond it on, but there would be no going back then
Load of boys use this for the inner door panels on the Passats, stays flexible and can be removed easily. Might be the ticket for what you need.

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
Your mate lives around the corner from me, his RS4 is always clean!
Yeah - he likes to keep it clean - I live on a farm down a lane so mines clean for 5 mins at a time!

Do you have a red RS4? He was taking about one that appeared near him recently?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Yeah - he likes to keep it clean - I live on a farm down a lane so mines clean for 5 mins at a time!

Do you have a red RS4? He was taking about one that appeared near him recently?

Yes that's probably me, he drives past my house every time he goes out!

PMC555

RMS Regular
OP
PMC555
Drives
Sometimes
Aww man stunning car. Ive done some serious deliberating with the few brain cells I have left about one for a long time now. What a motor
Thankyou!
I turned 50 during second lockdown, never celebrated it at all. Have wanted one of these since they came out in 2016.
Thought if I didn't buy something like this now that I was in a position to, I never would.
I work from home now 99% of the time, if I had to commute every day I would need another commuter car.
Here's hoping it sticks 😳

1000018797.jpg